Disappointed...

I mean, it IS a scaled down version. Don't expect it to do what the Axe will do.
Was going to mention this... the device is primarily not meant as a downward migration path for AFX2 users as much as it is an extremely capable stand alone unit, thus things like migrating presets and such from the significantly more capable unit is going to be a lot of work for the end user and require some compromise. Might be an opportunity to redial from scratch, I would guess. ;)

Another thing is there are some amp settings that are missing on the axe8 which actually affect the tone on my Eric Johnson preset...

The AX8 is still a fairly significant firmware revision behind the AFII line up. Just hold tight though.

Well yes, but there are some parameters that won't ever be present like Dephase in the cab block or bias trem in the amp block. That's not a question of firmware version. As has been stated, the AX8 is not, nor is it supposed to be an Axe rack unit.
-
Austin

This is why I chose to stay with my Axe-Fx ll. I use every bit of it on most of my presets. Would love the portability and the $$ savings but.....just way to spoiled now.

I will be all over the Axe-Fx lll or maybe the AX8 Ultra, or the 1-space AX8/Axe-Fx expansion module............;)

I think, the first ten lines in the AxeFX vs Ax8 wiki should be

Ax8 is not an AxeFX
Ax8 is not an AxeFX
Ax8 is not an AxeFX
Ax8 is not an AxeFX
Ax8 is not an AxeFX
Ax8 is not an AxeFX
Ax8 is not an AxeFX
Ax8 is not an AxeFX
Ax8 is not an AxeFX
Ax8 is not an AxeFX

It seems like a lot of AxeFx players wanted the lighter setup and the saved $$ and jumped the Ax8 wagon. It will disappoint every time. You have to think about it as a different product. Specifically, you have to set it up and use it differently than you would with an AxeFX+MFC. Personally, I cannot imagine a song, where I would need enough effects to overload the CPU. I run into CPU trouble, when I try to build do-it-all presets.

Last edited:
It's very easy to have "kitchen sink" presets with the Axe II. With the AX8 you need to break things into more than one "do all" preset

It will disappoint every time.

Correction, it will disappoint you if your expectations are not aligned to the intended design of the unit. Since day one (day five?? ;) ) the unit was designed for portability and high quality:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/im-just-going-to-leave-this-here.96382/page-4#post-1155795

I would say those who are disappointed are unwilling to modify their preset creation methodology to accommodate for the intentional CPU limitations. Not trying to get a rise, just speaking the facts and my experience thus far.

Solution: Keep both AFX & AX8. Solved.

As others have said in the past it helps to add the reverb block first this way your not looking for stuff to get rid of to open up the cpu.

Ok, this is what I have to say about everyone's reply regarding: "It's not an Axe Fx II"... Generally, when a new product comes out, the expectation is that it is going to be 'improved' upon. Now, I actually had no expectations other than the fact that you could only do one amp (this is the reason why I personally did not buy it). My expectation IS that if it has ALL the amps, that it would at least have ALL the same settings...which it does not, and it DOES affect the tone. Unfortunately I cannot play with it any longer as I set it up for my buddy and it's back in his hands.

If you look at Line6, you'll see that their devices are improving in both hardware and software. With the potential volume of sales of the AX8 (known easily from the wait list), and electronics getting cheaper daily (I design software/hardware for a living), there's no reason why the AX8 as a new product would be cheaper, even with VAST improvements. I'm not telling FAS how to do business, as it's none of my business...but a new product, to me, is an evolution. The only thing evolving with the AX8 is an amalgamation of the MFC101, with the Ultra, with a dash of Quantum added in...

Haters can hate...

Correction, it will disappoint you if your expectations are not aligned to the intended design of the unit. Since day one (day five?? ;) ) the unit was designed for portability and high quality:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/im-just-going-to-leave-this-here.96382/page-4#post-1155795

I would say those who are disappointed are unwilling to modify their preset creation methodology to accommodate for the intentional CPU limitations. Not trying to get a rise, just speaking the facts and my experience thus far.

Solution: Keep both AFX & AX8. Solved.
But you're talking about possibly NEVER getting the exact tone that you want... I can say with 100% certainty (I had the AX8 and Axe FX II side by side) that some amps are NOT the same...and I spent several hours trying to tweak the AX8 to no avail. If I still had it, I would gladly send some samples and do some comparison videos...

Did you have the AxeII on Quantum 1.03 when you were comparing? Because that's the amp modeling version that the current AX8 FW is based on.

Like you, I too was surprised that some of the amp parameters are missing. It does impact the ability to get the same exact sound, but I made the decision to cut loose the AxeII and work with what the AX8 has to offer. I have no regrets whatsoever.

Actually yes I did...I first tried it with 2.1, and went back to each of the Quantum's including the Betas...

Sounds like a fair comparison, and sounds like you are better off sticking with your AxeII. Hope your buddy likes the AX8.

I went into the AX8 with the knowledge that it would not be an AxeII. With that as my expectations coming in, I found myself surprised with what all it had to offer and am impressed. Quite a different experience that yours. But with that said, I have no doubt that I'll be buying and AxeIII when it comes out, LOL!

Hey folks, hope you don’t mind me sharing my experience with the AX8, having come from the Ultra and then the AxeFX II.

Firstly, the important thing is that the OP has a right to be disappointed if it doesn’t do what he needed of it. He bought it, it wasn’t for him, he’d be insane if he were happy about this! However, you need to go into the AX8 with your eyes open and very much understand it is not its bigger brother, as many have already stated.

For me, it has taken very little effort to build exactly what I need from a preset perspective, even though I’ve had to ditch my previous approach with the Axe II, where I was using 2 instances of pitch and amps in my presets. I can live without them and am doing just as well with scenes and X/Y to achieve pretty much the same thing.

With everything I ever use in a preset laid out, including 2 delays (4 variations using X/Y), clean and dirty sounds (Amp X/Y), 2 drive variations (X/Y), phaser, 2 filters, Wah and pitch, I’m at 85% cpu, which is spot on.

This allows me to have, in one preset:

1. Perfect clean tone

2. Clean tone with ambience

3. Edgy tone, dry

4. Edgy tone with ambience

5. Crunchy tone, dry

6. Crunchy tone with ambience

7. Crunchy tone, regular

8. Lead / Solo tone​

This probably covers 98% of what I need for a gig from one preset, and I can easily build a couple more with specific things in them, for songs that require them. Sure, I’ve had to rethink a couple of things, but I went into it knowing I would have to and that my ‘all in one’ presets from the II were overkill before because, well, they COULD be :)

With all said and done, if you need it to do more, then you need an Axe FX.

Having some stuff missing from the AxeFX, like the preamps in the cab block or dephase has meant it’s taken longer to tweak back to what I like, but the end result is a better sounding preset than I’ve ever had before, because I’ve had to work at it a little. Not much, but definitely a little. Basically, there’s a way to achieve the same as the bigger unit, but just in a different way. Sounds better to me now than my Quantum 2 preset sounded on my AxeII – so that’s encouraging while waiting for the new FW!

Peace :)

Last edited:
If you look at Line6, you'll see that their devices are improving in both hardware and software. With the potential volume of sales of the AX8 (known easily from the wait list), and electronics getting cheaper daily (I design software/hardware for a living), there's no reason why the AX8 as a new product would be cheaper, even with VAST improvements. I'm not telling FAS how to do business, as it's none of my business...but a new product, to me, is an evolution. The only thing evolving with the AX8 is an amalgamation of the MFC101, with the Ultra, with a dash of Quantum added in...

Haters can hate...

No hating here...

Line 6 business model to the one FAS is using are totally different and really can't be compared to one another. The way FAS has done their product line, they start with a base model and go from there.

I expect AX8 to be no different, changing the product to accommodate the user's request. The AX8 is a new product for sure but it's a new type of product and will more than likely go through the same evolutions the Axe FX has... Gen1- Standard, Ultra, Gen2- Axe FX II Xl etc...
It does seem like the long way about it.

FAS is a small company and I'm guessing this is how they keep the doors open, by making sure quality is as high as it can be. Building the Ax8 in house was a smart move. This not only keeps demand up (by evidence of profiteering) but sets the bar for the quality of the modeling and provides greatly needed jobs here in the US.

So yes it's not an Axe FX but it has the quality of the Axe FX are in the sims. My guess is wait for the next gen AX8 and I would be willing to bet that you will be able to do almost everything the Axe FX can do in a floorboard version without hitting CUP limmits.

Last edited:
Good thing they make 2 awesome amp modeling products and choices. It is indeed a tough switch coming from the II. IMO though new users are the ones who will be delighted most. They aren't addicted to the common fw updates and the unlimited things you can do with the II. The fact is the AX8 still has awesome tone and will be a supported product by FAS. They are doing everything they can to put a lot into the AX8.

But you're talking about possibly NEVER getting the exact tone that you want... I can say with 100% certainty (I had the AX8 and Axe FX II side by side) that some amps are NOT the same...and I spent several hours trying to tweak the AX8 to no avail. If I still had it, I would gladly send some samples and do some comparison videos...

Mate, I understand and am not looking to debate this with you. Ultimately your thread was indicating that the AFX II is still ideal for you. Throwing Line 6 in there was not needed for the discussion IMO. With that said, consider the AX8 the gateway drug to FAS' amazing technology. One puff and you're hooked.

Specifically what amp control are you looking for that you don't see on the AX8?

Back
Top Bottom