Disappointed...

guitartripp

Inspired
I'm actually disappointed by the AX8... Nearly every preset I migrated from my Axe Fx II to the AX8 I am unable to add a Reverb. My presets can be around 61-65%, and even unplugging the USB does not allow them to fit. Also, it would have been nice to have a dedicated 'Reveal' such as the MFC101 has... and keep the Tempo on it's own...I can imagine how many people are going to hit the F3 button for the Tuner, and accidentally change their Tempo.

Transferring presets to Fractal Bot is an excessively loooooooooooooooong experience.

Also, if a Footswitch is assigned as an IA, and then you change scenes, how do you get it to reset? Currently, the way it sits, If FS 5 turns a Drive block on, then I select Scene 2, and go back to Scene 1, that Drive block is still active...

I'm actually disappointed by the AX8... Nearly every preset I migrated from my Axe Fx II to the AX8 I am unable to add a Reverb. My presets can be around 61-65%, and even unplugging the USB does not allow them to fit. Also, it would have been nice to have a dedicated 'Reveal' such as the MFC101 has... and keep the Tempo on it's own...I can imagine how many people are going to hit the F3 button for the Tuner, and accidentally change their Tempo.

Hey mate, so this may be detail that you could have recognized early on before ordering the AX8 (CPU limitations). I would check the following:

- CAB <- UltraRes, do you need UltraRes?
- Compressor Block <- most presets you can get away with removing this block, it really makes the amps stand out more to me if you don't have this block mixed
- Other irrelevant blocks <- can you post the preset or a screenshot of your AFX II patches?
- Reverb <- High vs. Normal. The AX8 will basically tell you if it can even add the block to the preset which is nice. Maybe if you remove the other blocks that are not 100% needed, you can play with normal vs. high quality.

Hope that helps man, maybe post a picture of your AFX II preset so we can help guide you to make it close in the AX8.

Thanks!

Transferring presets to Fractal Bot is an excessively loooooooooooooooong experience.

Also, if a Footswitch is assigned as an IA, and then you change scenes, how do you get it to reset? Currently, the way it sits, If FS 5 turns a Drive block on, then I select Scene 2, and go back to Scene 1, that Drive block is still active...

Ok, I'll try to address as many issues as possible:

1) The new firmware (V2.01) will allow you add as many effect blocks as you want, but it will disable blocks until the CPU load gets down below 90%. In the meantime, the manual offers many great tips for working around this.

2) You do have a dedicated Reveal footswitch. Change one of your F-Switches to "STICKY SCENE".

3) If you don't like the configuration of your F-3 Switch, change it to something you like. All three of the F-Switches (F1, F2, and F3) are fully configurable.

4) If you want your effects to return to the state you saved with the SCENE when you created the preset, turn SCENE REVERT on.

Your last bit might need scene revert to on. They are also working on scene reload which is for when you are on scene 1, and you add in "drive" then a click on scene 1 AGAIN would turn drive off. In other words brings the current scene to its original state.

Have you tried the tips for loading in reverb to reduce cpu? Perhaps a screenshot of you preset might help others to help you too. Its certainly an adjustment from the Axe FX no doubt.

Hey mate, so this may be detail that you could have recognized early on before ordering the AX8 (CPU limitations). I would check the following:

- CAB <- UltraRes, do you need UltraRes?
- Compressor Block <- most presets you can get away with removing this block, it really makes the amps stand out more to me if you don't have this block mixed
- Other irrelevant blocks <- can you post the preset or a screenshot of your AFX II patches?
- Reverb <- High vs. Normal. The AX8 will basically tell you if it can even add the block to the preset which is nice. Maybe if you remove the other blocks that are not 100% needed, you can play with normal vs. high quality.

Hope that helps man, maybe post a picture of your AFX II preset so we can help guide you to make it close in the AX8.

Thanks!

All STOCK cabs...nearly all presets do NOT have Compressor...

ALL Blocks I'm using are 100% needed and used.

Ok, I'll try to address as many issues as possible:

1) The new firmware (V2.01) will allow you add as many effect blocks as you want, but it will disable blocks until the CPU load gets down below 90%. In the meantime, the manual offers many great tips for working around this.

2) You do have a dedicated Reveal footswitch. Change one of your F-Switches to "STICKY SCENE".

3) If you don't like the configuration of your F-3 Switch, change it to something you like. All three of the F-Switches (F1, F2, and F3) are fully configurable.

4) If you want your effects to return to the state you saved with the SCENE when you created the preset, turn SCENE REVERT on.
Thanks Joe, I'll turn on Scene Revert.

Turn on scene revert in the I/O menu.

I'll check that out. I actually didn't buy it...programming it for a buddy and these are the first things that came up. I understand smaller processor, etc, but come on lol!

i can actually have fairly loaded-up presets and have FS's setup to where they make sense just takes a bit of rethinking if you're coming from the AxeFX/MFC setup. I kinda wish my MFC worked more similarly to the Ax8 only with 2 rows of 5 switches + 3 function, effectively eliminating the top row on the MFC.

Last edited:
Using Spring Reverb takes less CPU

Another vote for this! Although with the last few FW updates on the Axe FX I noticed we have a lot more CPU headroom as Cliff has been optimizing things a little (quite a bit actually), so I was able to switch back from Spring to various other reverb types. Hopefully you will get the same optimizations in the AX8 FW update.

[EDIT: I might be lying about this ;). See Joe's post below.]

One thing I've found with the reverb is that both the X and Y states of the reverb block affect the CPU. So, if you're like me and only use the X state of the reverb, you can set the Y to spring, lower the echo density, etc. and that will significantly lower your CPU usage without affecting your reverb sound, since you're only using the X state.

Last edited:
One thing I've found with the reverb is that both the X and Y states of the reverb block affect the CPU. So, if you're like me and only use the X state of the reverb, you can set the Y to spring, lower the echo density, etc. and that will significantly lower your CPU usage without affecting your reverb sound, since you're only using the X state.
If the Y state is not running (selected), it does not contribute to the CPU load. The CPU load is a calculation of the effects currently running. Only the X or the Y contribute to the load at any one time. All effects in the preset will contribute to the load regardless of their bypass state.

Hmm... I wonder if I just noticed the CPU decreasing as I changed the Y settings, but didn't take note of the CPU once I switched back to X? I'll have to check that out tonight if I get a chance.

[EDIT: That's exactly what I did.]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom