Whats your most block heavy patch and how are you dealing with running low on cpu?

jazzgtrl4

Experienced
Just got my ax8 and its killer. I'm just trying to recreate my Axe fx II main preset and running out of cpu. Ive used some of the tricks..using spring reverb set to normal. What is another reverb that is not cpu heavy? I just wanted to use medium hall but cant. Ive read through some of the cpu threads as well. Are there any other tricks? thanks

Just got my ax8 and its killer. I'm just trying to recreate my Axe fx II main preset and running out of cpu. Ive used some of the tricks..using spring reverb set to normal. What is another reverb that is not cpu heavy? I just wanted to use medium hall but cant. Ive read through some of the cpu threads as well. Are there any other tricks? thanks
Try dropping your Reverb Echo Density down to 5 or 6.

If you're already using a spring reverb, then it might be time to look at other blocks. Lowering the density on it will help some, but as not as much as with the other reverbs because it's using so little CPU anyway. What other blocks are you using?
-
Austin

here it is

Rvh4BJF.jpg

here it is

Rvh4BJF.jpg

Oh my! I think you might be hosed. Other than the reverb block, the only thing I can think of is changing the resolution of the Cab in the cab block. If it is currently running at ultrares you can save around 5% by setting it to normal stereo. And if it's running mono Ultrares, you can save a couple %'s by changing it to normal mono. There aren't any other savings I can think of that wouldn't affect the sound. Maybe change the comp type from Studio to pedal if it's currently at studio (that'll save you a couple %'s), but then again, that might change the sound in a way you don't like.

As a workaround, you could split one preset into 2 presets. This is assuming you don't ever have all the blocks on in that preset. So maybe one preset that is just like your template, but with no rotary and another preset that is just like your template but with no phaser. That sort of thing.
-
Austin

Oh my! I think you might be hosed. Other than the reverb block, the only thing I can think of is changing the resolution of the Cab in the cab block. If it is currently running at ultrares you can save around 5% by setting it to normal stereo. And if it's running mono Ultrares, you can save a couple %'s by changing it to normal mono. There aren't any other savings I can think of that wouldn't affect the sound. Maybe change the comp type from Studio to pedal if it's currently at studio (that'll save you a couple %'s), but then again, that might change the sound in a way you don't like.

As a workaround, you could split one preset into 2 presets. This is assuming you don't ever have all the blocks on in that preset. So maybe one preset that is just like your template, but with no rotary and another preset that is just like your template but with no phaser. That sort of thing.
-
Austin

Hi thanks ..ya i think so. haha. Anyway i do have my comp as "pedal" was thinking of going Stereo normal res on the cab block. I was actually thinking about the two presets. Like the one i have going now and then another with other effects etc. My Axe II main preset has alot going on..but i didn't use it all the time..Ill just have to scale back and i know i can make it work..(i think) haha

Use a real wah and use the Y state of your chorus to create a Rotary?
What re the FILTER blocks doing?

PS: AX8 + FX8 = AWESOME ;-)

Actually i think im alright possibly doing two presets..Dont really want to add an external wah..I love all the internal sounds!.

Filter blocks are: first one in the chain Envelope filter. second one at the end of the chain is clean boost.

wait a minuet, cant i eliminate one of the filter blocks by using the Y side as the envelope filter?

The X/Y switch is so killer..I eliminated an external speed controller that i used with the axe fx II by just using X/Y with the rotary for fast/slow speeds on the Ax8..ramps up and down too!

Actually i think im alright possibly doing two presets..Dont really want to add an external wah..I love all the internal sounds!.

Filter blocks are: first one in the chain Envelope filter. second one at the end of the chain is clean boost.

wait a minuet, cant i eliminate one of the filter blocks by using the Y side as the envelope filter?

The X/Y switch is so killer..I eliminated an external speed controller that i used with the axe fx II by just using X/Y with the rotary for fast/slow speeds on the Ax8..ramps up and down too!

Both X and y need to be in the same place in the signal chain. Will the filter sound right if it's at the end with your clean boost?

What is still missing from your preset other than changing to a hall reverb?

Question about the cpu usage indicator. Since the amp and cab don't really use the dsp for the effects and there's no dynamic dsp sharing, is the cpu indicator for the effects side cpu only? I don't know why we'd care how much of the amp cpu is being used.

As on the Axe-Fx, the CPU indicator includes everything: Amp, Cab, effects, and "overhead."

As on the Axe-Fx, the CPU indicator includes everything: Amp, Cab, effects, and "overhead."

So what shows if your amp model uses most of one cpu but you have no effects in a patch? Since the amp will never take more than one CPU and the effects can only use their dedicated CPU, would it make more sense to have either separate meters or just show how much is used, or remains, on the effects CPU?

My heaviest preset: an ambient pad sound with amp, mono UltraRes cab, dual delay, tape delay, Deep Space reverb with about 16s of decay (normal quality with low echo diffusion), MultiDelay Plex Shift with about 10s of decay, chorus, tremolo, rotary, several modifiers and two external controllers.

That gets me to about 87% and block adjustments don't really bring it down much. Changing the cab to normal makes the biggest difference. I'm fine letting it live at 87% but it definitely flirts with the limit.

Both X and y need to be in the same place in the signal chain. Will the filter sound right if it's at the end with your clean boost?

Lots of guys use a filter block at end towards a clean boost. Use it as a null filter just increasing the gain a few db's. Works great.

Preferably, the clean boost should be before delay and reverb, if you do not want the delay trails to be cut off

here it is

Rvh4BJF.jpg

Like mentioned above, lowering reverb density - even down to 2 if you just need a little ambience. It drastically drops cpu usage.

Another thing I've noticed - the 2nd biggest cpu hog is the drives, personally I like the distortion/overdrive from the amps. So instead of a drive I use a higher gain amp on Y state. YMMV

Also if you are not using the Y state of blocks check them anyway, I've set reverb to normal quality only to find that the Y state was on high, and switching it back to normal seemed to help.

Back
Top Bottom