No fluency in Whammy?

None with a FV-500 here who can test it for me?
Hey Barend!
I use the FL500 with the Axe. Been using it for over a year and after some tweaks I think it works great for Whammy control. I'm using Quantum 2 and here is a pic of the controller page.

Thanks that was helpful! so you don't notice any difference in fluency or slight pitch separation when comparing it with other expression pedals? I am still very much in doubt what it can be.

Thanks that was helpful! so you don't notice any difference in fluency or slight pitch separation when comparing it with other expression pedals? I am still very much in doubt what it can be.

I'll record a small demo for you this afternoon and I'll post it. I think it works great! I don't miss my Digitech whammy at all.

Off-topic:

LOL on that 'spoiler'-button in the post (#22) of TakaraGold, given that Urbandictionary pretty spot on (IMHO) explains the word 'spoiler' as:

"When someone reveals a previously unknown aspect of something which you likely would have rather learned on your own."

It´s just such a strong keyword that I for real actually hesitated clicking on it! Hahaha!

Quick update:
yesterday a friend came with some expression pedals. We tested a Behringer one on the same expression pedal input and with the same cable as the Boss FV-500. And that one didn't have that problem. With my Boss FV-500 it jumps right from the root note to the major second with the whammy, so there is nothing in the beginning of the sweep and also you can hear the steps a bit when you move the pedal slowly. Not the fluent sound that is normal for whammy. I also calibrated the pedal again just to be sure but that didn't help. The FV-500 works like it should when using it as a normal volume pedal (so not the EXP input of the Boss). So I guess something is wrong with my FV-500. Can it be some dirt inside or something?

Quick update:
yesterday a friend came with some expression pedals. We tested a Behringer one on the same expression pedal input and with the same cable as the Boss FV-500. And that one didn't have that problem. With my Boss FV-500 it jumps right from the root note to the major second with the whammy, so there is nothing in the beginning of the sweep and also you can hear the steps a bit when you move the pedal slowly. Not the fluent sound that is normal for whammy. I also calibrated the pedal again just to be sure but that didn't help. The FV-500 works like it should when using it as a normal volume pedal (so not the EXP input of the Boss). So I guess something is wrong with my FV-500. Can it be some dirt inside or something?

Did you try lowering the mid value as I showed you on the pic I posted? Mine has a significant dead spot that I control lowering the mid value.

Did you try lowering the mid value as I showed you on the pic I posted? Mine has a significant dead spot that I control lowering the mid value.

just tried your settings. It's a bit better. But I still hear this 'wavering' in the sound when I use the FV-500. I don't hear this when using the EV-5 or the Behringer. I can't imagine you have to use such different settings for different expression pedals. I never noticed this before. is it possible my FV-500 is broken or some dirt is in the inside or something?

Fluen·cy
ˈflo͞oənsē/
noun
  1. the quality or condition of being fluent, in particular.
    • the ability to speak or write a foreign language easily and accurately.
      "fluency in Spanish is essential"
    • the ability to express oneself easily and articulately.
Are you being snarky little marine man? I'd say it's a good use of the noun. He's trying to express himself via the Wah pedal...

Maybe so. How I can I see this?
If possible: unsolder the leads to each lug of the pot while it still is in the pedal (make sure to take note first of which wire that are soldered to each lug). Bring out your multimeter tool, and set it to a appropriate range in measuring resistance (ohm). Connect one multimeter lead to the ground lug of the potentiometer (the one in the middle), and the other multimeter lead to one of the lugs beside. You should be able to watch the Ohm readout while turning the potentiometer. If it seems more or less continously in its readout you are probably ok. If it seems to be missing a short bit of the full range somewhere while turning, you´ll probably need to get a new one.

If possible: unsolder the leads to each lug of the pot while it still is in the pedal (make sure to take note first of which wire that are soldered to each lug). Bring out your multimeter tool, and set it to a appropriate range in measuring resistance (ohm). Connect one multimeter lead to the ground lug of the potentiometer (the one in the middle), and the other multimeter lead to one of the lugs beside. You should be able to watch the Ohm readout while turning the potentiometer. If it seems more or less continously in its readout you are probably ok. If it seems to be missing a short bit of the full range somewhere while turning, you´ll probably need to get a new one.

OK I will take it to the music shop! :)
Thanks for writing it down though....

Helpful thread. My Behringer has a problem with its range, but the smoothness is there in terms of shifting - I have CPU 70-80%. Sounds like a pedal issue that can hopefully be repaired easily.

Back
Top Bottom