Art Deco

iaresee

Administrator
UPDATED: I added a second scene to the preset that does the tape flanger setting @ASD was asking about. It also uses the fantastic new Plexi 100W 1970 model -- because that model just kind of makes me weak in the knees it's so friggin' good.

So this guy on another forum asked me if it was possible to mimic some of the sounds the Strymon Deco gets in the Axe-Fx II. Of course! It's actually pretty straight-forward. And more "authentic" in the Axe-Fx II because you can run all the effects post-CAB as they would have been done in the studio in the days of long ago -- applied to the recording after it was made and not run as a pedal in to the front of an amp.

You want some plate reverb for that splashy splash. You want a stereo tape delay because who doesn't like stereo? Keep the repeats low and the repeat time in the 100-120 ms range.

And you want a CAB block with a NULL IR in it -- you'll use this block just for its preamp capabilities; running it as a separate block so you can turn it off and on.

Hit it all with a tweed and it gets pretty tasty pretty quickly.

No clips but here's a patch for the XL+: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4019

And here are some screen shots for those who don't have an XL+:

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 2.18.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 2.18.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 2.18.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 2.18.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 2.18.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 2.18.38 PM.png

And here's a screen shot of the new flanger settings:

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 4.21.11 PM.png

If you're coming at this from an AX8 you can always use a drive block with the Tape drive model in place of the CAB block with the NULL IR.

Last edited:
Thx Ian. I'm looking for a preset that emulates "Starship Trooper" - There used to be a preset in the AXE that did this very well and then "poof" if was gone with the various upgrades. See beginning of clip at the link below

Thx Ian. I'm looking for a preset that emulates "Starship Trooper" - There used to be a preset in the AXE that did this very well and then "poof" if was gone with the various upgrades. See beginning of clip at the link below
Snazzy! I updated the preset. New version is on Axe-Change. Scene 2 adds a nice flanger that's thru-zero tape like. It's built using the new Quantum 2.00 beta 2 release so don't try it without that because it uses the Plexi 100W 1970 model in Scene 2 (which is a mind-blowingly good Plexi tone with humbuckers or single coils).

Let me know how it works (or doesn't).

Back
Top Bottom