Zappa Alert

Yes -- Dweezil uses all kinds of fuzz pedals. Boutique pedal makers send him fuzzes he tries out. He swaps them out all the time, so I can't be sure. He has a few that simulate the 9V battery dying/sag, I think that one is made in San Antonio and is two germanium fuzzes in one.

I'd try a Fuzz Face drive block as first choice, or a Pi Fuzz drive block, in Axe FX just to start, and play with it until you like the sound. But we'll get pedal board shots here when he goes on tour in February.

Thought this might be it..
The problem I have is going back and resetting the controllers.
to fit my system. I am worried if I start changing those things will get out of whack.
It does not matter because I dont have two axe fx units ..
I kinda thought it was to be paired down to one for the release..
So ive not had much luck... I figure there will be some updates on that and things will
be worked out....

While waiting for this to be released I kept right on working and building my own sounds
so im pleased with those.. Im not sure quite how to make this work for my system though...

volume on 1 wah on 2 lfo controller on 3.. I do have 4 controllers but 3 are hooked up
at present..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 12.38.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 12.38.28 AM.png
    607.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Tex, yes those are two of the fuzzes he used last year on tour, AND there are two fuzz sounds in each pedal and you can cascade them... I know from talking to the sister of the builder, who i met at a New Jersey ZPZ gig, that they are made by her brother in San Antonio or New Braunfels -- but I can't for the life of me remember the name of them... and no photos I have show resolution good enough to read the names on the pedals...

BTW, if you Google "Dweezil Zappa fuzz pedals" several different kinds come up...Here are just some, he on a constant search for the best fuzz tones and changes constantly...

TWA Systech Harmonic Energizer Prototype - not exactly a fuzz but if you heard it, you'd know it: very Frank

Paul Trombetta (Custom Made) 4 Fuzz Cey-Zo

Tarkin (Custom Made 2 channel Fuzz)

Heavy Acoustics FUZZ pedal

I think they're called "two much fuzz" and made by Goochfx...but they are heavily modified. I think he has also used the Goochfx "Tubescreamer" in the past/maybe present

Last edited:
I find it interesting that you have to 'pledge' to get presets from a fellow user...Curious to know if he ever used someone else's presets on here and never 'pledged' to them...I thought this was a community?

I find it interesting that you have to 'pledge' to get presets from a fellow user...Curious to know if he ever used someone else's presets on here and never 'pledged' to them...I thought this was a community?
You were pledging to fund his new album. The presets were a gift for those folks. When you consider the time and effort that went into making all these presets, they're worth quite a bit. Dweezil has posted patches from time to time, but to think a pro musician should just hand over all his presets, that probably took years to develop, simply because we all have the same unit is just silly.

What about the time and effort that all the other 'fractalites' put into their presets? Maybe he grabbed one and embellished on it...I would never expect ANYONE to just hand over their presets...it's in the interest of making us all better users.

Yes well it was to help fund his new recording which is very very good Btw....
Also it was for Frank Zappa sounds but Dweezil added in some of his own patches
from the new recording as well some Hendrix patches...

So to be fair it would not be fair for those who did pay for them to be handed out for fun...
He asked that not be done and they not be shared...

As for the fuzz sounds those were for Via Zammata which is his newest
I was asking about those and Hendrix fuzz...

Ive had a constant battle to find the right fuzz/ pedals for me and so far
not many cut the mustard.....

Ive been at Gooch pedals page as well listening to demos of the pedals I identified on board.
If he was out doing Franks Sounds as well some Via Zammata I think there might be
some of the sound...

Im liking what I hear from those pedals alot agent 13 has some good ones...
Dirt generator is cool too...

I need a job it seems...
Will work for tone....

What about the time and effort that all the other 'fractalites' put into their presets? Maybe he grabbed one and embellished on it...I would never expect ANYONE to just hand over their presets...it's in the interest of making us all better users.

Nah, totally different situation. We're talking about a professional here who's profession and income depends for a large part on painstakingly recreating sounds on his father's records and playing those life, and who is exploring ways to fund the creation of an album. That's how PledgeMusic works. Let's keep this thread on track please.

Ok........

I've seen MANY other 'professionals' GIVE their presets away (Periphery, Mark Day, John Petrucci, Brit Floyd, PLUS ALL THE OTHER "Professionals' on this forum every day!). Not different at all. I'm a Professional at my job, and I give my knowledge freely...because it's going to actually bring more Customers to me in the end. I didn't even know Dweezil was working on a new album, but might have helped fund it, as I've helped fund several Spock's Beard albums, but when I saw he's charging $200...whoa! He probably had M@'s help, so that money should probably go directly to Fractal...

No it was a pledge drive to support the latest recording... Dweezil did not have to offer the settings at all for that matter.
these were for the Frank Zappa fans who pledged too get those recordings thats exactly what I am I saw Frank twice
so longtime fan here... I asked about the Via Zammata sounds on the pledge page and showed interest in those and
asked if he might play some of those songs during Zappa plays Zappa tour and the next thing I see is he shared several of those patches as well not only that he shared the Hendrix settings he was using for Exp Hendrix tour...
That was above and beyond what the original agreement was for which was to support the new recording.
**That was really kind and nice to do for the fractal scene who did pledge I pledged a year ago....**

Now on too the fuzz situation...

I was just contacted by Gooch fx who was very quick to respond and he mentioned he thought the royal albert pedal would
fit for my needs regarding these sounds I listened too all his pedals and they sound really great...
I liked the Brave Ulysses pedal they make really great sounding pedals...!

As for the Pledge drive several announcements were made here about that and I have revived that thread and tried to keep
it fresh but I dont expect everyone to follow my threads about that...

Just the die hard Frank Zappa fans would have been interested in those settings anyway but I did try to keep that thread going.

He didn't, they were dialed in from scratch.

Yes that makes sense since they have all the master tapes to go from and all the signal paths I would bet
all of that was archived and noted so side by side comparison..

Exactly how I duplicated my own amps recording them dry and with efx to be able to compare directly and
dial it in from scratch..

In my cases I was able to do so without tone matching.. Which is why I will be a Fractal user for life now...
It also helped I had a really great teacher who taught this man how to fish...

That set me free I still have lots to learn so its a challenge for me that keeps paying off...
I bought the ticket to take the ride....

So what's your point? I can go on any pro guitarist's website(s) and see their exact amp settings, pedals, etc. OR, I can simply dial stuff in myself... Basically he's selling his album for $10 or whatever and then the presets for a monetary gain of $190. If that's the case, then we should ALL be selling our presets instead of handing them out to each other. Apparently his albums are not selling for him to be selling PRESETS...I can see it being different if he were including actual gear used on the recordings, as that is something tangible...the presets are going to sound different to every single person, considering they are not going to have the exact same guitar, pickups, etc. Look at Spock's Beard...they have done crowd-funding and given actual gear, and Ryo has actually helped people with synth presets on the forums in the past...he did NOT charge for them. I LOL at anyone that is going to spend $200 on presets that they could just as easily come up with on their own.

So what's your point? I can go on any pro guitarist's website(s) and see their exact amp settings, pedals, etc. OR, I can simply dial stuff in myself... Basically he's selling his album for $10 or whatever and then the presets for a monetary gain of $190. If that's the case, then we should ALL be selling our presets instead of handing them out to each other. Apparently his albums are not selling for him to be selling PRESETS...I can see it being different if he were including actual gear used on the recordings, as that is something tangible...the presets are going to sound different to every single person, considering they are not going to have the exact same guitar, pickups, etc. Look at Spock's Beard...they have done crowd-funding and given actual gear, and Ryo has actually helped people with synth presets on the forums in the past...he did NOT charge for them. I LOL at anyone that is going to spend $200 on presets that they could just as easily come up with on their own.

K

Yes that makes sense since they have all the master tapes to go from and all the signal paths I would bet
all of that was archived and noted so side by side comparison..

Yes we referenced his recordings as well as his dad's and did a/b comparisons. It helps that he has an encyclopedic knowledge of what guitars, amps, speakers were used as well as a great ear and playing ability.

and there you go, you're on Ignore.

Back
Top Bottom