Help - Axe Fx II XL keeps disconnecting from computer/axe edit

One other thing you can check is the power management of the usb port. The default setting is to allow the computer to turn the usb port off to save power. A laptop might power the port off after no activity or if its battery is getting low. You can turn that off in windows from the device manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers/....

Hey guys. Every time I'm playing guitar, about 15 minutes in, my axe-edit stop recognizing my Axe Fx II XL and stops communicating. I have to unplug the USB from my computer's USB port and re-plug it.

Running Quantum 1.0 firmware with Axe Edit 3.3.1
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, 8gb ram, intel i5
15 foot USB 2.0 cable into front USB port of computer (USB 3.0 port)

What's wrong? Faulty cable or USB port, or should I reinstall Axe Fx II XL drivers? I haven't been home yet to try a different USB port yet, but I don't think it's faulty as I haven't experienced any trouble with it using other devices. The USB cable is fairly new, about 3 months old.

yes the EXACT same thing is taking place for me out of the blue. Really frustrating because i find the only way to fix it is by restarting the PC. It is within the very old windows drivers i think. That's the oldest part of the setup now. Or the latest firmware, or the last axe edit. hehe. anyhow. ..... in saying all this, it only started when the new axe edit came out. so, there ya have it i think. ill point to that first.

i cant understand why this is happening. I mean, it was working perfectly, then starts happening as soon as Axe edit was updated. USB cables all fine, USB ports are fine, short USB cable, and still i haven't been able to use axe edit at all for 2 days. Reinstalled USB drivers etc etc aswell. Any ideas people.

I think if it was a problem with AE there would be more people chiming in. Im on win 10 64x, AE 3.4.0, FAS USB Driver 2.23.0 and Quantum 1.06 (no foot controller) without issues. Is your FAS USB driver up to date?

thats still pretty long. do you have any shorter one now just to test? you will have to move things.

you may need a powered hub as an extension, though i'm not certain it will solve the issue. def try a short cable first. like 3-5 feet.
The USB standard is up to 16' (the devices that I design actually send data up to 32' with several meg data dumps at a time NO PROBLEM)...10' should be NO problem, unless the cable is complete chinese junk that is breaking down internally.

The USB standard is up to 16' (the devices that I design actually send data up to 32' with several meg data dumps at a time NO PROBLEM)...10' should be NO problem, unless the cable is complete chinese junk that is breaking down internally.
He changed from a 15' to a 10' and the problem was solved. I also remember other people with the same issue and a shorter cable solved it. I understand the spec is just over 16', but shorter cables work with Edit for some reason.

He changed from a 15' to a 10' and the problem was solved. I also remember other people with the same issue and a shorter cable solved it. I understand the spec is just over 16', but shorter cables work with Edit for some reason.
It was most likely a defective (cheap chinese) cable. I use a 25' with mine and never have issues...and mine was from monoprice.com

It was most likely a defective (cheap chinese) cable. I use a 25' with mine and never have issues...and mine was from monoprice.com

It's possible that the original 15' cable was defective. My 10' cable is the exact same brand - Canada Computer's self-branded cables. They're probably not the best, or worst. Definitely not a "quality brand" though. What's your thought on monoprice? I'm thinking about buying some TRS cables for my MFC --> pedals, and maybe for focusrite --> monitors. Prices are so cheap! I've heard mixed reviews.

Edit: It's also possible that it was the USB 3.0 front port I was using on my computer tower. I wouldn't know for sure since I changed the cable AND to one of the rear ports at the same time. I don't care to find out since everything is working now :) However, if this problem has happened to several people in the past, it's more likely the cable than the USB 3.0 port.

I've never purchased regular guitar cables from there, but we make a device that mimics a USB thumb drive for CNC machine DNC and use the mono price cables. Haas machines have a built-in 15' cable that goes to the front of the machine and then we use another 10' cable to go from the front connector all the way back to the back, and so there is 25' of cable, along with 3 connection points (which would be the weakest point). With a CNC program, you cannot lose any bits of data, as it could corrupt the g-code and crash the machine, so we do a lot of checks with the data going out/in. Some programs can be several hundred Meg, which doesn't seem like a lot, until you look at the speed and the superb quality of the data. With all the testing I've performed on usb, I would rule out the cable's poor quality over the length. We also use serial comm for our hard wired devices, and go over 500', as opposed to the 300-350' rule...and we are using minimum 38400...it's all about the cables to me... I wouldn't go overboard with a monster cable, but I also wouldn't buy a $2 PI Manufacturing cable or one from a flea market either.

Back
Top Bottom