What router are you using with the X32?

svl

Power User
Questions for those of you with the Behringer X-32: which routers are you using? How many devices do you have trying to connect with the router at one time, and which ones (iPhone, iPad, etc)? Any connectivity issues?

Anybody using the newish tri-bands like the Asus RT-AC3200 or the TP-Link AC3200? The AC1900 models?

Thanks in advance.

Asus RT-n66u

I don't need the AC level of transmission. G would be just as good.

I would say any router between $120 and $180 would work great. Anything more could be overkill.
edit - meant to also add "anything less could definitely still work depending on the specific situation. the price range i suggested is typically "good to go.""

Apple routers tend to have problems for applications like this. They can work, but others are much better. Apple routers don't like when there's no actual WAN connection happening.

Last edited:
Asus RT-n66u

I don't need the AC level of transmission. G would be just as good.

I would say any router between $120 and $180 would work great. Anything more could be overkill.

Apple routers tend to have problems for applications like this. They can work, but others are much better. Apple routers don't like when there's no actual WAN connection happening.
VERY subjective... (not to keep 'bashing' you)...

I had an X32 and went to Goodwill and bought a $2 Linksys that worked perfectly. It's actually still upstairs and acts as my extender. (We have 10 different devices connected and at any time I am D->24mbps / U->4.5mbps)...on a 24meg uVerse connection...I've 'speed-tested' on all the devices and that is the average...and they are usually ALL on and doing things.

I was speaking about the Apple products you are so quick to give your opinion on, considering he didn't ask about Apple routers specifically...(just Apple connected devices)...I would say millions of others disagree with you ;-)
oh i see.

i use the Airport Extreme for my home network and suggest them for my computer consultation clients as well. i've successfully used both the current and older Express as extenders. i work with them all the time.

do know that as a fact, the current model of the Airport Express won't function at all without input at the WAN port, and thus cannot be used in an x32 setup without internet. it is a well known issue for musicians and sound engineers.

i've use the Airport Extreme on gigs with my x32, and though it functions, when you are within 10 or so feet of the router itself, the performance is very bad. stepping out of that range, the performance improves and is more normal. but the Asus router i mentioned outperformed the Airport Extreme in every situation when used with the x32. in fact, since the antennae are removable on the Asus, i can leave them off and have excellent wireless performance within that 10 foot range. if i need to be farther, i'll attach the 3 antennae.

i am quick to give my opinion on the Apple routers for use with the x32 because i have experience with them, and many share the same experience i just wrote about. he did not ask about Apple routers, but they are popular and tend to come up eventually in discussions about routers for music gear, especially the Express because it is "apple" and it is only $99. so i discussed them.

i don't know if you think i was just blindly bashing Apple products. since you said "millions of others disagree with me" i am guessing you did think that. but i'm sure "millions" of people aren't using Apple Extreme and Express routers with x32 mixers.

Last edited:
I was speaking about the Apple products you are so quick to give your opinion on, considering he didn't ask about Apple routers specifically...(just Apple connected devices)...I would say millions of others disagree with you ;-)

The warning from Chris about Apple routers and the X-line mixers is justified and good information in regard to the OP. I haven't been able to succesfully connect the X18R to an Express. And when you visit the Behringer forum you'll find loads of similar reports.

Last edited:
We use an old linksys WRT54G that I had laying around, because we could NOT get the Apple router working with it!!!!
We have 2 console editors (iDevices) and around 6 devices (iDevices and Android) connected for IEM control, using a WPA2 secured 2.4 band connection with no issues.

That's REALLY strange because I have actually used the x32, along with my MacBookPro and a Chauvet controller system to run sound and lighting, all with an Airport Express at home for testing...never had any issues and it was all plug-and-play. I bought the same wrt router for like $2 at Goodwill because I didn't want to chance destroying my apple router. I use all Apple stuff: iPads, iPhones, MacBooks, iMacs...we have literally 20 devices at home. I will dig the d32 out of storage and test it again...may be a few weeks due to traveling though.

My next question would be is which model of the Express do you have, because there are several vintages...

My next question would be is which model of the Express do you have, because there are several vintages...
current model doesn't work. i mentioned that. well known issue. most previous models work, but still not as well as the ones in the range i mentioned.

Hi-jacking the thread a bit...sorry...anyone that is trying the x32 with an express...tell me the exact model of express and whether it's dhcp or fixed ip, and how it's configured. ill see what I can do to help.

anyone that is trying the x32 with an express

We had many problems with the Airport Express here connecting to the X32.
The most irritant was that sometimes it will and sometimes it won't connect.
But it was always a struggle. It never was click and go.
Used a fixed IP.
Next time we will try with a Cisco router which I have spare.
Unless you have the tips to get the Apple working.

Thanks for the replies.

Being an Apple user or many years, I did try an older Airport I had laying around. It connected to the X-32 without a problem, but it won't maintain multiple connections to devices outside of my studio. It only runs 2.4ghz, and the minute I step into a crowded Wi-Fi area (basically any venue) it drops connections every 30 seconds.

Using some dlkink with 3 antennas, it's white, dont know the model number, never had a problem. Gigs are different from home.

For a XR18 recently tossed in a Netgear N750 which coincidently replaced an Airport Express due to bridge/DHCP issues. Wanted something that could Velcro in rack without external antennas (that I would break)... happy with it so far. Downside on the N750 is that the power up cycle is a bit slow at around a minute.

Good luck!

For my X32 I just picked up a couple of Cisco 1811w 1U rack mountable with kit. 2.4 or 5GHz interfaces. But you have to know the Cisco IOS to be able to configure the router. :)

The major benefits to me is that they are #1. Rack mountable, #2. No wall warts and #3 they can power a USB device such as my DMX Ethernet controller or my iPhone. :)

I too experienced issues with the airport express 2-port 10/100 Wireless N (MC414LL/A model A132) which had become a nice paper weight...then I discovered I can use it as an airplay streaming device in bridge mode.

Back
Top Bottom