Now available: The cabir.eu OR-4X12 IR-Library (based on a Orange 4x12 from 1971)

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
The team from cabir.eu proudly presents:

The OR-4X12 IR-Library is based on a 1971' Orange™ 4x12, loaded with Celestion™
G12H30 speakers with the legendary „pulsonic cones“ (Pre-Rola) (also from 1971)

OR-4X12_Header.png

We discovered this cab in a hidden corner of one of the private rehearsal room from Sigi, the owner of the awesome www.marshall-forever.de Museum. So, … this should tell you something ... :)

This awesome cab, with it's massive and heavy construction, sounds fantastic beyond imagination.
Lot's of bottom end, mids that cut through and a brilliant top-end are the main features of this big lady.
And, to be honest, we haven't found a musical style yet, where this cab doesn't shine. From Rock
to Metal, from Country to Jazz, this well balanced cab is a monster!

This first cab-Pack from our “pro IR series” - Library was captured with our „objective sweet spot method“. It offers extremely clean IR's, that can compete with ANY high-quality IR's available.

Here are the main features of the OR-4X12 „pro IR series“ Cab-Pack:
  • 9 different microphones
  • MPT and RAW single-mic IR`s from each of the four speakers of the Cab
  • phase aligned mixes (MPT) and real phase mixes (RAW) of each speaker
  • cabinet mixes
  • multi-mic-mixes
  • ambient mixes
  • „room“ and „back cabinet“ mic-positions
  • signature mixes from Anand Mahangoe and Thibault de Robilard (Fremen)
  • 3 different voicings: Idealized-Null-Amp (known as Mic+DI), Push-Resonanc-Amp and Tube-Amp
The OR-4X12 IR-Library contains 644 unique IR's.

For further informations please take a look into the USER GUIDE.pdf :)

Note: The „pro IR series“ Libraries are available in 10 different wave-formats exclusively. To convert with Cab-Lab into Axe-Fx II format, we recommend the170ms, 48 khz/24 bit IR's, which perfectly addresses the Ultra-Res specifications. More Info`s about the different .wav-Formats you`ll find here in the IR-formats.pdf

This awesome IR-Library (yeah … we believe strongly in! For reasons!) .. you`ll find at:
www.cabir.eu

Last edited:
I´m absolutely blown away by this IR´s. A lot of character, great clarity, nice mids, and the choice of getting that extra-punch with different poweramp-voicings - I love it. And for me the first IR-collection with useable IR-mixes!

Last edited:
Ok this cab pack is really a surprise to me. I always thought that those massive Orange cabs always end up to be waaaaayyyy too boomy. This opinion is based on several IRs out there (free and commercial ones) and the actual cab of a good friend, which works very well for him and his style, but not for me! For my lower heavy stuff, I NEED a defined low end in IRs!
Reading about THIS cab and the IRs being done from it, I immediately thought, that it will be just too bassy. But since the cabir.eu guys provided fragments of information on the german forums about the capturing method, some frequency curves and the information, that this cab from 1971 is very different from today's models, I thought I'll give it a try.

Now a short overview of what I think about those IRs:
First of all, the IRs don't even sound close to what I feared. They are not boomy at all, they provide a very clean frequency range with perfectly defined lows and very clear highs. And one can easily hear what a special cab this is! Its character is truly amazing! I've never had such a sound before! I don't want to say it's better than anything else, we all know that there are amazing IRs out there. But this cab is special and so are the IRs. They make me want to own that cab, no matter how heavy it certainly is ;)
I cannot say much about the capturing method they used, because I just don't know. The name they gave it gives a little idea about what it's based on. I think they searched for sweet spots and ensured that the frequency curve is free of frequency cancellations. So what I can say is, that this method seems to be perfect for very clear IRs. There's no real use for the De-Phase knob with these IRs, because there's nothing that has to be cleaned. It's absolutely free of phase cancellations!

I'm still doing my tests with these IRs. I already found my new favorite IRs for recordings. For live I still have to do some tests, which is quite difficult due to lack of a working PA system ;) But due to the variety of mics and because they shot all 4 speakers, this shouldn't be too hard!

By the way, if anyone of you guys owns a cab which is comparable to this one, PM me, I want it!!!

Inspired by the Soundcloud-Track by Black Bitch (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...30-„pulsonic-cone“-speakers-from-1971.107942/) I try some reampings for our upcoming record.

The Orange works great with Marshall-like Amps. The sound is very direct und it has wonderful clear highs. Incredible! I like it very very much! :) I used for first tests only the Signature Mixes by Fremen and Anand. And I really like the T-Voicings (Tube-Amp) for my guitar which don't have so much lows! :)

In the end it doesn't really matter what the real secret is! It's enough to know the basics and what the packs are about.

If you e.g. look at the frequency curves of OH's IRs and compare different single-mic-IRs from one set of IRs, you'll see that they are very similar, but they are of course all a bit different. To be honest I have no idea how that is possible with just one mic! Seems like OH does something others don't do. This is quite nice if you want to quickly find your favorite IR.

What the cabir.eu guys did was to find one of the best and most unique cabs out there, which they found at this museum, and managed to create IRs, where only the best sweetspots were used. But what are the "best" sweetspots? That's where opinions come into play. So they made "objective" choices of sweetspots, based on measurements. What this really means isn't that important, all that matters is, that the resulting IRs are free of phase cancellations, very clean, nicely balanced. They sound great by themselves, but they are also great for mixing in CabLab. It's very hard to make them sound bad, except if you go to extremes of course, but that's true for the Axe aswell, you can easily make it sound bad ;)
So with these IRs you get a great variety of sounds! Every single mic IR is totally unique! Use the power of CabLab to create your perfect IR! :)

What I know is that the approach is very different to e.g. OH's (I can only compare to OH, sorry, I don't have a credit card, so no ML packs for me :( ). I think it's great to have a big variety of techniques creating IRs. OH's IRs are special, ML's are special and cabir's are special (and all those I forgot to mention).

And please someone correct me, if what I say is wrong! ;) The thing is: The cabir guys have sworn to keep the secrets to themselves, even the german forum has no real clue :D But as long as the IRs are great, I can totally understand this!

I´ve also bought the Marshall 25 W AX - IR`s. I prefered the Rawmixes and also here at the Orange - they sound more "fat", smooth and real than the MTP - they are more exaxt for a sharp Rhythmguitar.

Which one do you prefer?

Hm, to be honest I haven't really looked at the RAW mixes ... I sorted the IRs alphabetically and MTP comes before RAW, I didn't come this far :p Why is christmas always so stressful? Not enough time for my hobbys right now :(

Yesterday I got the OR 4x12 G12H30 and I really must say these are the bestsounding IRs i ever played so far !!
They quickly became my new favourites (i used to play the Marshall 4 x12" V30 CH Mix OH most of the times)!
Really fell in love with the orange - well done Markus, great Job and thank you!!!! Short demo snippet with preset will follow!

Last edited:
Hi Heinzi, what is your favorit ir or ir's in the Orange Pack for Lead? - in the Marshall 1960AX I liked very much your selection of the Mix IR 421-414_I and/or P and became one of my favorits....

What do you guys think of this cab for more modern tones? I'm looking for an IR that doesn't have that "paper cup" sound in the low mids and that have a nice "airy" top end bite, without being shrill or fizzy.

Here's an example of an ideal tone to me for modern music. Check out 10:28 on the video.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom