Shadows Presets

I'd love to get that acoustic tone match if that's possible.
Hi nickxmix,

The pre-cursor to getting good to great acoustic sound from an electric guitar, is having Full Range, Flat Response speakers. eg KV2 ex10 with 70-18K +/- 3dB because the real feel of an acoustic are the tones of frequencies above 5kHz and the "air" above 12kHz so even if you system is good to 10-12kHz but falls away by more than 3-6dB above that range, you will loose much of the acoustic feel.

My acoustic preset is currently upgraded to FW15beta1 but in any case, taking a preset that has been tone matched to my guitar and expecting it to work with your guitar is a second best option. Below is how I created mine.

1. Download midifine's #1547 axe-change preset. I'm not sure if there was a CAB block in the downloaded version of this preset. If not, add immediately following the AMP block and then disengage the block. Using your targeted guitar for using the acoustic preset, check out the sound getting it as clean as possible with all the highs ringing clean and the lows crisp! Do this without an active CAB block and any affects following the AMP.
  2. Add a TMA block on a row above or below the CAB block and link the input from the AMP and the output back to the main signal.
  3. Edit the TMA. Select the 2nd page on the front panel and then select your input source for your reference signal. I used USB to get the highest quality. The source obtained from the web by searching for someone demo'ing my preferred acoustic sound. I found it best to get someone strumming a few chords on a video as it then played to same sequence to do the match. The length of the signal should be 20+ sec. Select High Resolution. Whether you will be high or Ultra is dependant on your Global IP capture mode so check that out before you proceed. Initially leave smoothing as 0% but depending on the quality of your reference you may increase this to clean up and even your final sound.
  4. Return to Page 1 of the TMA edit and play your reference sound and if connected properly you should hear it. Press "X" to commence the reference and again to stop it.
  5. Connect your guitar as normal and Press "Y" to do the Tone Match. Press "Y" again when the graphic becomes stable. You now have a Tone Match! If you like it, export it to a User CAB and then select that cab in your CAB block.
  6. remove the TMA and save your preset.

There is no avoiding doing a Tone Match to ensure you get the right adjustment for your guitar.

Yes, I'm working on Shadows Presets 5 for fw15+. If you wish to stay with a previous version, that's fine, particularly if you have modified any of my previous presets and it works for you.

I have to say it's very gracious of Cliff and FAS to continue to seek technical improvement and then allow us to improve our sound if we choose to upgrade to the latest - all for free!

Yes, my 50 presets will all have to be reviewed in the light of FW15 and I hope in doing so, they shine even brighter because they appear to be closer to the real vintage amps. My experience so far with FW15 beta1 is that the effort will be worth it!

Cheers

hi stratnvox and a huge thank you once again for all you are doing here, hope i'll get time to fire up my axe fx soon, can't wait to give the presets a try, from past experience I know they'll be brilliant presets. time is rushing by so quick lately, we're up to fw15 and I haven't even loaded the presets yet.

hi stratnvox and a huge thank you once again for all you are doing here, hope i'll get time to fire up my axe fx soon, can't wait to give the presets a try, from past experience I know they'll be brilliant presets. time is rushing by so quick lately, we're up to fw15 and I haven't even loaded the presets yet.
Hello everybody, this is my first post although I have been a reader of this forum for quite a while now. I hope to be in a position to purchase an Axe-FX box next month and I'm really looking forward to it. I am also a huge fan of Hank Marvin and The Shadows.

axefxsid, I hope you don't mind my talking to you here? I noticed by reading your signature that you have a TVS3, HCSE and EFTP echo units, very impressive if you don't mind my saying so! I was wondering if you could let me know how the Axe-FX compares to these units? I'm hoping you will say that the Axe-FX is more than capable because I won't be making anymore purchases for some time after the Axe-FX.

Looking forward to trying some of your patches StratnVox after I finally get my hands on an Axe-FX.

Vic.

Hello everybody, this is my first post although I have been a reader of this forum for quite a while now. I hope to be in a position to purchase an Axe-FX box next month and I'm really looking forward to it. I am also a huge fan of Hank Marvin and The Shadows.

axefxsid, I hope you don't mind my talking to you here? I noticed by reading your signature that you have a TVS3, HCSE and EFTP echo units, very impressive if you don't mind my saying so! I was wondering if you could let me know how the Axe-FX compares to these units? I'm hoping you will say that the Axe-FX is more than capable because I won't be making anymore purchases for some time after the Axe-FX.

Looking forward to trying some of your patches StratnVox after I finally get my hands on an Axe-FX.

Vic.
Hi Vic,

I have recently upgraded all my presets to Quantum 1.01 firmware. This latest FW really provides the basis for creating the range of Hank Marvin tones from the early 60's right to his more recent studio albums.
I have not updated axe-change so when you are ready, please PM me.

In addition to the Axe-FX, I have Impulse Response pack from The Amp Factory (http://www.theampfactory.com/downloads/theampfactory-the-legends-ultrares-irs/). That set contains the Vox amp and microphone combination used by Abbey Road during the 60's. The microphone (Neumann U47) has an outstanding reputation and a unique frequency response not found in later microphones.

Looking forward to sharing a journey!

Trevor

Vic.
hi vic, great to have another shadows fan onboard, buying an axe-fx will be one of the best things you will ever have done, good times ahead.

my own opinion - the tvs3 from tvs specialty products in australia is the best echo unit for nailing hank marvins echo. the only downside is the import tax and vat if you ever end up buying one.

my alesis unit with eftp installed is ok, but the good news is that your axe fx will be able to match that, especially with help from good folks like stratnvox on this forum.

as for the hall and collins signature echo unit - i don't own this, one of my shadows friends bought 2 of them from charlie hall and loaned one to me. i'll be returning it over the next week or so because he wants to sell it and i won't be buying it. very overpriced for what it is. its basically the eftp patches hard coded into a foot pedal. i think there is a review on youtube and in guitarist magazine if you're interested. stick with your axe fx but if finances allow and you just like buying guitar gear go for the tvs3 as well, its great gear.

a friendly word of advice - don't get too much into talking about charlie hall and his products on this forum. if you haven't already done so, set yourself up as a member of charlies shadows forum and have those discussions over there. charlie and his son ross have made some very serious and false accusations against me with regard to their eftp product. ross even took the trouble to find out where i worked, phoned and emailed my office. thats all i'm going to say on the subject in public. i can give you lots more info about eftp and the alesis unit if you are interested but it will need to be in private, pm me if you like.

hope you get your axe fx soon, you are going to love it!

sid.

Thank you for that Sid. Hopefully the Axe-FX will satisfy my expectations for getting Hanks echo sounds. I was thinking about EFTP because of the price. Yes I am already a member of the Charlie Hall and Friends forum, as you probably know Charlie doesn't sell EFTP anymore since he moved on to his HCSE unit. The TVS3 sounds great but funds won't allow that along with an Axe-FX purchase just now!

I would be interested to hear more about EFTP, I will PM you after I send this.

Vic

Hi Vic,

I have recently upgraded all my presets to Quantum 1.01 firmware. This latest FW really provides the basis for creating the range of Hank Marvin tones from the early 60's right to his more recent studio albums.
I have not updated axe-change so when you are ready, please PM me.

In addition to the Axe-FX, I have Impulse Response pack from The Amp Factory (http://www.theampfactory.com/downloads/theampfactory-the-legends-ultrares-irs/). That set contains the Vox amp and microphone combination used by Abbey Road during the 60's. The microphone (Neumann U47) has an outstanding reputation and a unique frequency response not found in later microphones.

Looking forward to sharing a journey!

Trevor
hi stratnvox I would love your new set of shadows presets too If you don't mind me asking cheers

I have now updated the Shadows Presets. The base requirements are Quantum 1.x or later using axeFX II.

Download at this URL: http://www.fbm.com.au/downloads/Music/Shadows_Presets.zip

As mentioned in the Readme file, ensure that you select the correct CAB as directed in the readme file.

Due to the amount of work to complete this set, I have provided details for donations on a voluntary basis.

If you feel happy about some or all the presets, I would very much like to hear from you . . . throwing money is even better!

Last edited:
Hi Stratnvox, presets much appreciated and donation sent via Paypal. Your worth it.
Thanks again nickxmix
Nick, Thanks for your words and the donation. There will an update on some as my initial setting of the drive on the main Amp should be above 2.2 rather than less than 2. This adjust pushes the overall gain in the preset and you compensate by reducing the Level on the AMP1 block. Additionally, depending on your setup, I have increased the level on the last PEQ block by a db or so. If there is not enough bite and treble, the lead guitar gets lost in mix. Increasing guitar level can then hide others so aim for the lead to be clear with more mids.

Enjoy!

UPDATE:
Quantum 1.03 has changed the game - It's better so I'll twig my presets and let you know when I have updated them. Probably take a week or so. Soon!

Trevor

UPDATE:
Quantum 1.05 and soon another update to fix the cathode follower settings in the AC30TB.

Each of these changes have a major impact on the Shadows sound which is clean to edge of breakup. Hank got some growl when playing some numbers and with the right settings and correct picking technique, we can reproduce these sounds just like the record if you like.

I believe that's not achievable except in the virtual world of the Axe-FX.

So as soon as I can again go over my presets after the next FW update, I'll make them available for everyone.

BTW, check out this IR from indeloon85 http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/new-1964-vox-2x12-57-122-ir.107351/#post-1285020
The '64 IR is really good and I have created a stereo UltraRes with his '65 IR found on another thread.

Since these are a known quantity, I'll see his permission to include the IR as a Preset with CAB to ensure you obtain what I'm hearing in the presets.

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind words.

Just so I can understand when you get that message, are you:-
downloading the zip file,
extracting from the zip file
loading a preset via Axe Edit
loading a preset via Fractal Bot
using windows or Apple
trying to use the preset

If the problem is relating to a preset, which preset?
What is your Firmware version?
Usually unknown method relates to a programming operation that's being called for some reason, so I need to know what program is actually complaining.

Happy to help but I need information.

Trevor

Back
Top Bottom