Fender Super Reverb '74...wow

Tailstop

Inspired
I thought I'd share a cool experience!
I've been researching and craving Fender combo amps lately. Played thru a few recently and I just love em! Way more now than when I was younger!
So I borrowed an old 74 Super Reverb w 4x10s from a friend and it just ruled. Everything about this amp sang!
So I turned on my Axefx and dialed in a SR w 4 x10s. It was fricken identical. I mean, not mostly like it, similar to it. It was fucking perfect. The feel, sag, push, response. Everything.

So I say this. Fractal: thanks for the dream rig. And saving me the additional 1500$ to go get this amp in my room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought I'd share a cool experience!
I've been researching and craving Fender combo amps lately. Played thru a few recently and I just love em! Way more now than when I was younger!
So I borrowed an old 74 Super Reverb w 4x10s from a friend and it just ruled. Everything about this amp sang!
So I turned on my Axefx and dialed in a SR w 4 x10s. It was fricken identical. I mean, not mostly like it, similar to it. It was fucking perfect. The feel, sag, push, response. Everything.

So I say this. Fractal: thanks for the dream rig. And saving me the additional 1500$ to go get this amp in my room.

Good stuff man, but a bit surprising since I thought the Axe Fx SR is modelled after a blackface?

Good stuff man, but a bit surprising since I thought the Axe Fx SR is modelled after a blackface?

Not a huge change with the Silverfaced versions. They're a little cleaner and brighter but the topology is the same. Some minor circuit changes here and there. Same transformers. The biggest change, IMO, was changing the PI resistors to 47K which gives you a little less gain in the PI.

Not a huge change with the Silverfaced versions. They're a little cleaner and brighter but the topology is the same. Some minor circuit changes here and there. Same transformers. The biggest change, IMO, was changing the PI resistors to 47K which gives you a little less gain in the PI.

Thanks for the clarification Cliff. I always thought there were material differences in gain structure between both era amps, i.e. the silverface was so much more difficult to break up.

No master volume bugs me a little... I guess I'm somewhere in between too young and too old in this regard.
For me the 69-72 fender amps don't sound much dif from the pre CBS stuff. The lesser parts and newer models that subsequently came out didn't reach me really. However I had a 76 Princeton that SCREAMED and have heard other great stories like that.
Bottom line, a good player can find a sound in any amp. Today for me was about the quick dial-up and that beautiful breakup around 7! I was really impressed with my Fractal today...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

No master volume bugs me a little... I guess I'm somewhere in between too young and too old in this regard.
For me the 69-72 fender amps don't sound much dif from the pre CBS stuff. The lesser parts and newer models that subsequently came out didn't reach me really. However I had a 76 Princeton that SCREAMED and have heard other great stories like that.
Bottom line, a good player can find a sound in any amp. Today for me was about the quick dial-up and that beautiful breakup around 7! I was really impressed with my Fractal today...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Very motivating story! The Axe Fx SR model is typically my go to Fender amp. My good buddy has a 65 re-issue and man is it ever deafening when played at its optimal volume, yet, that is where it needs to be. Thank goodness for the Axe Fx saving our ear drums!

Another cool thing! I left the original Fender on after I played it...quite loud. When I switched to the Axefx that old tube smell stayed in the room! It Doubled the greatness of my experience today! Switching between the jumped ac30 and it was brilliant, of course, but the smell wasn't right..
Wow. The things we notice!

Yup. What I thought was a reasonable volume had my neighbor ask "what kind of Fender was that?" Pffft... Not selling my FAS.

Back
Top Bottom