Why does my Wah block suck?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I am not the best at being patient and dialing in blocks I don't use a lot. This is with a FX8 and a Bogner XTC real amp but it should not matter right?
Who can share the basics to getting my wah to sound like any rock artist out there,...not gonna be picky just no shrill highs or muddy lows which is all I get right now. Yes it is EP is calibrated and assigned correctly!

Last edited:
are you placing it before the amp?

if you are, why not simply tweak the low and high frequencies, so you get the range you want?

i've never had to adjust anything in the wah block. i just pick the type i like and rock out

I am not the best at being patient and dialing in blocks I don't use a lot. This is with a FX8 and a Bogner XTC real amp but it should not matter right?
Who can share the basics to getting my wah to sound like any rock artist out there,...not gonna be picky just no shrill highs or muddy lows which is all I get right now. Yes it is EP is calibrated and assigned correctly!

I feel the same about the wah

I'm running the Wah block in parallel since I saw a video with Scott P.
I really like dig that!

Have you tried using a normal wah as well? I'm not saying you don't know how to use a wah, but I'm curious if you have had more satisfactory results from a normal wah. If you did, then you should calibrate the expression pedal to be as close as that which is pretty easy to do when side-by-side.

I pretty much love the Axe's Cry-babe wah, I have a couple of real ones and the Axe matches up to them very well (not to mention the advanced tweaking you can still do on it).

EDIT: I know you have said you have already calibrated it, I'm just saying try to match another wah that you already like

You might want to go into the wah screen (edit) on the axe itself and modify the curve there...it makes a HUGE difference.

That being said, I'd still love to have the Bad Horsie as a selection :)

I find that I have to crank Wah level (20) to cut against distorted tones.

Also, watch your signal path: i.e: If your Wah output is mono-left going into another block that has stereo I/O such that you get one side wah'd and the other side not wah'd, then, ..., well, 't can be a bad thing.

Try this Wah Block (attached). Make sure the exp pedal number is reset to the one you use. I find sometimes messing with the curve, start and stop parameters, and resonance, helps. I like the FAS wah, but cry baby is fine. Some pickups react differently. (Have you ever noticed how a good set of P90 pickups really love wah-wahs?)

Attachments

• MySupaQuackFW15_20140526_144709.blk
    240 bytes · Views: 27
Last edited:
shrill highs and muddy lows...man, it really sounds like you have it in the wrong part of the routing, so it's after the amp's fx loop. it should be the first thing in your chain...before the amp

There are a lotta wah pedals out there. There's Morleys, CryBabies, DODs, Bosses, etc. Each one sounds/behaves a bit differently, and each has differing amounts of throw. Then, some of them have adjustments for high/low limits, some add a bit of distortion or boost, and finally some of them come in a variety of configurations customized for a particular artist. Add on to all that your own physical way of manipulating the thing, and it gets even worse. So, to have a single wah setup that will cover all artists is just not possible. The best you can hope for if you want a single wah block is a compromise. Otherwise, learn to love tweaking.

I used the Morley and Crybaby mostly. But lately I've been really digging the FAS wah.
Bypass set to fast auto. Then you have to tweak the mid action (default is 50%) to adjust to the taper of the pedal. And then adjust slope. I set mid around 20/30%. And set low res to 480 and high to 1800. It really lets you dial THE wha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the placement. I was lazy with my FX8 set up and had everything in the 'post' routing set up -wah not good there at all period. Awesome in front of the amp using the pre and post 4cm!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the placement. I was lazy with my FX8 set up and had everything in the 'post' routing set up -wah not good there at all period. Awesome in front of the amp using the pre and post 4cm!!!!!!!!!!!!

Placement is crucial. There are some excellent articles on effects placement on the internet. The basic rule-of-thumb is Wah, Compressor, Drive, EQ, Pitch, Modulation, Delay. in 4CM the last three or four would ideally be in the loop. Some people like the compressor first.

Back
Top Bottom