OWNHAMMER Multi-Mic Collections

I bought this last night. Great sounding IRs! Directly compared to the Mesa MMC with V30-EN-08, there is more treble content and a different character...as you'd expect. My take on the A vs. B speaker of the PR25-75Hz is the A has less bass content whereas the B has more. In a way, A sounds like something you'd get out of an angled "A" Marshall cab and B sounds like something you'd get out of a "B" cab but I don't think there is any relation. I think the Marshall CB is a "B" cab and definitely bassier than what I'm used to out of a Marshall because I think I'm used to "A" cab sounds as far as what I like the most. For the older Marshall CB IR libraries, I had to bring the low resonance down to 95-100 to get the bass response where I wanted. With these, the B IRs still need that (to my ears) but the A IRs can live in the default 100-115 range of Marshall type of cabinets. Would be cool to know the real resonance but...such is life! Dialing them up by ear works fine.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is what is being asked of the low resonance frequency, but if you insert the files in a convolution reverb loader opened in VST Analyser, you can see where the low end peak is at. The below was using TC30-05.

M-PR25-A:

M-PR25-A_Low-Res-Peak.png

M-PR25-B:

M-PR25-B_Low-Res-Peak.png

In the graphs, A has more low mids than B, but significantly more high end. Conversely, B has less low mids, but significantly less high end. Both speakers were placed in the same spot inside the cab when mic'd so the difference is entirely that between two supposedly identical speakers (same make, model, date code, and visual physical condition (mint)).

Hoping to try to make time for some clips soon, will post em up when I have them. Hope everybody is digging these as much as I have been! :)

Options? We don't need no stinking options! M25-MIX PO-Fat-03 for president! #PoFatZeroThree2016 :lol

In all seriousness, this was definitely one of those "if you want this cab and speaker, you'll want for little to nothing more" efforts. Best of luck in the hunt through the 1113 files! :)

Reactions: yek
I was about to record a quick test as usual, but got lost in awesome sounds :))
It's not that "modern high gain" friendly as Mesa Multi Mic Collection, but it's priceless for rock of any kind, sweet and juicy
Once again, hail to Kevin :)

So tired from work.. just loaded up ONE single IR - M25 MIX -Mix SP2, and it is spectacular. Can't wait til I have some patience and can go through a couple hundred. Great work, thanks man

Not sure if this is what is being asked of the low resonance frequency, but if you insert the files in a convolution reverb loader opened in VST Analyser, you can see where the low end peak is at. The below was using TC30-05.

M-PR25-A:

M-PR25-A_Low-Res-Peak.png

M-PR25-B:

M-PR25-B_Low-Res-Peak.png

In the graphs, A has more low mids than B, but significantly more high end. Conversely, B has less low mids, but significantly less high end. Both speakers were placed in the same spot inside the cab when mic'd so the difference is entirely that between two supposedly identical speakers (same make, model, date code, and visual physical condition (mint)).

Hoping to try to make time for some clips soon, will post em up when I have them. Hope everybody is digging these as much as I have been! :)

Interesting. So if I look at those graphs, am I right that the low res peak would be around the 120Hz point? If I set my res there, I think I'd have too much bass content, but, maybe these cabs are supposed to be real bassy? I don't have one in the room to try. I really like the Marshall cab character, but I have to bring it down to 110 or as low as 95 on the low res peak to not get woofiness. My bass is typically 5 or lower on Marshall style amps. I'd be interested to see this graph on the Mesa. The Fractal defaults for a Mesa cab are 90Hz and for a Marshall cab, 110-114 Hz.

with the right amp choice these really deliver that classic rock tone. usually I'm not much of a Greenback guy, but like I said, for that tone, these IRs are just stellar !

I've been very impressed with the Multi-Mic Collections so far. The "MES-ST V30-EN-08" is excellent (especially the "SP" mixes). Great speaker choice too. The new sample method really does make a difference.

That said, my all-time favorite release is still the 1x12 Stone Age (CL) from the V3 Mix Libraries. I would love to see that cab/speaker set included in the new Multi-Mic Collections at some point.

Keep up the great work, Kevin! You've raised the bar once again.

Me either but try blending a Marshall Greenback with a Mesa V30 and you get some sweet tone.
very true ! actually I've done that before with nice results. I believe some of the (real) Friedman cabs have a mix of V30s and G12Ms (and optional Hs). IIRC, Lynch used Greenbacks mixed with Fanes in his cabs... just on their own I find the vintage Greenbacks to sound too "vintage". but this library here is so good, that paired with a Plexi you're immediately in classic rock tone land, if you like it or not :) .

Interesting. So if I look at those graphs, am I right that the low res peak would be around the 120Hz point? If I set my res there, I think I'd have too much bass content, but, maybe these cabs are supposed to be real bassy? I don't have one in the room to try. I really like the Marshall cab character, but I have to bring it down to 110 or as low as 95 on the low res peak to not get woofiness. My bass is typically 5 or lower on Marshall style amps. I'd be interested to see this graph on the Mesa. The Fractal defaults for a Mesa cab are 90Hz and for a Marshall cab, 110-114 Hz.

Looks like it's down there between 110 and 130 somewhere, yes. That's why I'm a huge fan of just rolling knobs around until things sound good. For example, in your example, it would seem that rather than accentuating the low resonance frequency like many would think is what you're "supposed" to do, you've found it more pleasant to fill space beside it rather than on top. In this way if that number were known up front, one may have been inclined to just set the parameter to that value, then possibly either not tweak further or dismiss what would have been a great tone. As the saying goes, if it sounds good, it is good! :)

The mixes are great but I'm also taking a liking to some of the single mics, some sound really pure and focused to me. I got stuck on the OH-Mar-CB M-PR25-B U70-05 for the last hour. I really like the 414 and U70 versions.

I'd like to mention something about the U70 since you brought it up. Back in the good old days, this cab/speaker was popularly tracked by U47's and U67's. While I currently do not have either of those at my disposal, the U70 is made by the company founded by the same man who designed the original U47 and U67. The M7 capsule in the U70 is a hand made recreation of that from those old Neumann's, so this is a great mic to pair with this cab to go for some of that classic rock record sound.

Looks like it's down there between 110 and 130 somewhere, yes. That's why I'm a huge fan of just rolling knobs around until things sound good. For example, in your example, it would seem that rather than accentuating the low resonance frequency like many would think is what you're "supposed" to do, you've found it more pleasant to fill space beside it rather than on top. In this way if that number were known up front, one may have been inclined to just set the parameter to that value, then possibly either not tweak further or dismiss what would have been a great tone. As the saying goes, if it sounds good, it is good! :)

Excellent point. I'm so locked into reproducing something I've not even heard live. I guess I also tend to just take the default values Fractal has put in there. Still, there's a part of me that wants "accuracy" and I just like to plug and play so to speak and want it to sound like it would if I plugged into the real deal, bass response and all. But, I'm cool just dialing the low res peak where it needs to be.

Well, it's out now! :) (image below is a link, AS IS THIS TEXT)

This one is a big one, folks. THE sound of rock and roll, and arguably THE biggest influential tone (specific to cabs and speakers) for the last 50 years of electric guitar is a vintage Marshall cab with pre-Rola 25 watt 75 Hz G12M's.
If I'm still in business long enough to get to them all, I definitely plan to keep sampling through all my cabs for the Multi-Speaker Collection and Multi-Mic Collection libraries. :)

I just bought this and spent last night going through about a third of the IRs. As a old school guy who likes guitar tones like Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, SRV, and Eric Johnson, this is the best Cab Pack I've bought to date. I've found many great IRs in this Cab Pack so far. Can't wait to try out the rest of them.

Back
Top Bottom