Drive parameter in delay block

fisioaura

Inspired
I'm away from my axe... So I don't know what's happen with the delay when is before the amp that needs to be driven. Has it a different behaviour when place after the Amp?? Thanks !!

No, the drive range has just been extended.

Loading an old preset resets the drive value to get the same sound.
Your presets should work as they used to.

Thanks. But maybe I did not explain myself... Is the interaction between the delay and Amp blocks different when the delay is before the Amp and after the amp? Otherwise, what exactly does the drive parameter in the delay block? Thanks in advance

I'm away from my axe... So I don't know what's happen with the delay when is before the amp that needs to be driven. Has it a different behaviour when place after the Amp?? Thanks !!

It can be a big difference depending on the amount of repeats/feedback and volume level of the repeats. Lots of loud repeats can cause the sound to build up in front of the amp, essentially driving the amp harder. If the delay is after the amp, you dont have that issue. I like doing it both ways, delay before the amp if I am playing something that feels "loose" for lack of a better term. In front for when I want things "tighter".

Is the interaction between the delay and Amp blocks different when the delay is before the Amp and after the amp?
Yes. This is true of every delay and every amp in the world, not just the ones in the Axe-Fx. The higher the gain, the bigger the difference.

Try it yourself, and you'll hear it clearly, and you'll understand it better than if you just listened to my explanation of it.

Ok. I'll try it. Just curious about the fw. 19 release notes "Increased the maximum Drive available in the Delay block. This allows adding distortion to the echoes when using the Delay block before an Amp block. Existing presets will automatically be updated to reduce the Drive accordingly."
Usually you want the repeats to be similar to the main sound. If you have a signal chain like overdrive + delay+ clean amp the repeats should be driven as the main sound ...por not? Thank you ver y much

If you want pristine repeats then I wouldn't touch it; however, it's great for dialling in tape delays or adding some grit to replicate an analog delay.

ust curious about the fw. 19 release notes "Increased the maximum Drive available in the Delay block...
This just increases the maximum drive available. The minimum drive available is still zero. :)

This was done because, when you hit the Delay with an instrument-level signal instead of an amplified signal, there wasn't enough signal to significantly overdrive the delay. This only affects people who want some dirt in their delay.

Luckily we no longer have to make choices and can really have it

I don't need to pick if I want my Deluxe Memory Man patched in before my amp because I might want some dirty repeats, and I likewise don't need to keep my boss DD3 patched into the FX loop because I want a pristine digital delay after the amp etc etc

Like Outback Steakhouse; there are no rules, just right

Put effects where you like them, before the amp, after it, after the cab, set a parallel path for the delay and run a flanger and pitch shifter on the output, crank up the drive, run a clean digital model, etc etc etc

All the "rules" of how you were supposed to set up your pedal board etc are totally out the window. Nearly every constraint of physical pedal routing is out the window.

Get creative, move blocks around, set up crazy chains, stick reverb before a delay, etc etc

Luckily we no longer have to make choices and can really have it

This is a big plus for me. I don't miss rewiring pedal boards at all if I wanted to change the order of something, or compromising because I really need a pedal in *this* spot for a particular tone and compromising on everything else.

In a stomp of a button I can go from a patch with delays before the amp to delays after the amp, or any other possible combination.

I usually put the delay in front of the amp. Should I add a bit of drive?? Or not necessarily

Putting the (clean) delay before a (driven amp) and using the drive in the delay is a different thing. The drive in the delay is for the repeats only. The delay before amp will obviously distort the whole delay sound including your original signal. In most cases you don't want that except if you want a dirtier old school Neil Young (tape delay before amp) sound for example.

Keep in mind that before amps had fx loops all (tape) delay machines were put in front of the amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom