You want Stereo Imaging? Look no further...

I have used that one. It doesn't provide near the sense of width that the Classic does. But, I agree that it might be more generally usable.

You're not using it right then. I started exploring the Enhancer in Classic mode first like you. Once you learn how to dial in Modern mode, it blows Classic out of the water.

Playing guitar at home by yourself, yeah, the 'enhancer' sounds cool.

However, I usually stay away from stereo wideners when recording in my studio. The reason being is because they are the best liable way to destroy your mix. Misuse them and you can say "bye-bye" to mono-compatibility.

Playing guitar at home by yourself, yeah, the 'enhancer' sounds cool.

However, I usually stay away from stereo wideners when recording in my studio. The reason being is because they are the best liable way to destroy your mix. Misuse them and you can say "bye-bye" to mono-compatibility.

Not with Modern mode.

No need to be a jerk. I've been polite in my disagreements with you.

Yes, I've read the manual. I still stand by my "overdo" rule, dispite what the manual says.

I'll continue double-tracking my rhythms and if I want some slight stereo width enhancement on a track or bus, I'll use Ozone 5 Advanced.

Ok but I thought it says in the manual that modern can be collapsed to mono without cancelling
Thank you for the polite rebuttal.

Yes, I've read the manual. Check my previous reply for my explanation.

No need to be a jerk. I've been polite in my disagreements with you.

Yes, I've read the manual. I still stand by my "overdo" rule, dispite what the manual says.

I'll continue double-tracking my rhythms and if I want some slight stereo width enhancement on a track or bus, I'll use Ozone 5 Advanced.

RTFM is considered being a jerk? You new around here? ;)

The Modern Enhancer will survive collapsing to mono but any enhancer should be used judiciously, especially for recordings.
Thanks, Cliff. That's exactly what I was trying to convey to shemihazazel. [emoji106]

In this day and age, should we worry about mono compatibility on records? IMO if guitars sound huge in stereo but not totally compatible in mono, why compromise the sound to satisfy mono listeners. I'd say the days of listening to records in mono in dead.

I do find mono a very useful tool when phase checking multiple mic'd drums however and other stereo micing applications.

In this day and age, should we worry about mono compatibility on records? IMO if guitars sound huge in stereo but not totally compatible in mono, why compromise the sound to satisfy mono listeners. I'd say the days of listening to records in mono in dead.

I do find mono a very useful tool when phase checking multiple mic'd drums however and other stereo micing applications.

Mono is also useful for checking the balance of a mix(eg. reverb and panning issues), and you don't have to think about the sweet spot because you tend to hear everything regardless where you're sitting. It's useful for exposing deficiencies, in my opinion. If it sounds good in mono ...

Yes. And also how it will sound when played on a (mono) smartphone (20% of listeners).

https://www.strategyanalytics.com/s...s-now-most-popular-way-people-listen-to-music

We occasionally play venues with mono sound systems. Rare, but it happens. We more than occasionally play venues who will only provide us with a mono in-ear mix. So mono compatibility is a big issue for me.

My tones are mostly not mono compatible. When I collapse my signal to mono, it can sound awful. My solution was to put a micro mixer in my rack and feed my guitar to my in-ear system directly from the Axe. At least I can hear it in stereo.

IMO, if someone is listening to music through a smartphone speaker, they have much bigger problems than mono compatibility.

My comments were aimed at record production in the studio. I do agree that mono compatibility should be considered in a live application as you have no guarantees over how FOH or the monitor engineers will process your sound. Unless you have your own FOH and monitors crew.

My philosophy is that I am likely to sell more records focusing on the majority who listen in stereo than compromising to suit the minority who listen in mono. And as the OP mention, those who listen through a smartphone have much bigger problems than mono compatibility. In my case, it's the fellow train commuters they are annoying with their horrendous sounding music ;)

Back
Top Bottom