Tape delay degraded repeats

lol...well, it's "vintage" gear, right? :)

I remember my guitar teacher around 1985 or so dragging out his prized Echoplex to show me. It was like casting pearls before swine. I took a play through it and said I'd rather use my Boss digital delay because the repeats on his weren't "clean". SMH...

I can completely identify with that...at that exact period of time too. Hated my analog delays & was envious of a bud who had a digital. Then eventually came experience and enlightenment.

When you select tape and use a configuration other than mono it is a different algorithm. Been that way since like FW 4 or 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the mono tape better that stereo tape too. I wish the stereo tape used the same algo as the mono.

Wow! Did that just happen? I'm not trying to kiss any ass here, but somebody mentions a feature, and boom! It's done! This is the most kick ass product I have ever purchased. Rad!
Yup. Pretty amazing what happens when someone asks for a useable parameter instead of "hey can u guys make a drop down menu of all the Strymon pedals so I kans has cheezburgarz kthxbai."

If you really want to get crazy on the tape delay, assign the motor speed to an ASDR or LFO modifier.

I'm also going to look at the Multitap block and possibly adjust that as well.

That is where I typically set these types of delays (MTD block) as a QUAD-TAP as a dual delay that broadens the effect to closely replicate the TimeLine. Most of the time I have a Vintage Delay block feeding into a Quad Tap for a more robust sound. Thanks for checking this out Cliff, you da man!

Impressive indeed....where would you see that in any other digital gear company ? "...OK we'll do that on the fly as well..."
Feel like I'm asking : "Hi....could you lend me a thousand dollars ? ..." to a guy passing buy on the road and the guy tears his wallet and responds "OK man, here you are"

Okay, I've increased the range of the Drive parameter so you can get distortion when running the Delay at "instrument level".
Hi Cliff. Thanks so much for your work.
I'm responding to your comment about increasing the drive. I assume that if I use zero "drive" in an MTB - Quad Tape delay, I'll still get "clean".
I have some 40 presets using the MTB in this way emulating tape echo machines from late 50's such as the Meazzi Echomatic 1 & 2 drum machines, Binsons, Roland 201 and 301. While some machines used more than 4 heads, I have been able to work around that restriction.
Dance_on_2015-05-31.jpg
As you can see, I control the "dry" and "wet mix via a mixer all before the amp. The PEQ is used to emulate the frequency response of each tape system using information both published and also drawn from sampling a later tape loop Meazzi machine. The "woody tone" heard on the early Shadows hits came from the use of these machines. I have recently added the "COMP" block (Studio in stock standard mode) to the wet path as tapes induced their own compression and that has made a big improvement - better sustain and "reverb".

I hope your changes do not preclude the sound I have achieved.

Looking forward to the next release.

Trevor

Is it possible to have the repeats become more degraded as they fade?

Yes, in the Axe Ultra/Standard (so I assume it works for the II), you can do this by routing in the grid. Put delay with 100% mix on a parallel path between fx return and fx send, so that delays feed back into the delay block. Add drive and EQ to the delay so that each subsequent repeat becomes more degraded.

Yes, in the Axe Ultra/Standard (so I assume it works for the II), you can do this by routing in the grid. Put delay with 100% mix on a parallel path between fx return and fx send, so that delays feed back into the delay block. Add drive and EQ to the delay so that each subsequent repeat becomes more degraded.

You can do all that within the block on the II.

Nice. Thank you. I hadn't even thought about that until I read this thread.

Kind like a bucket brigade chip thing.

I imagine it's also possible to degrade (for lack of a better word) the timing of the repeats.

I need to read the manual and play around a bit. That will be fun.

Back
Top Bottom