Shadows Presets

Over the weekend, I was able to obtain the frequency spectrum of both the dry and wet signals from a vintage 1960's Meazzi Factotom Tube Tape echo machine. While this was not the exact same machine used by The Shadows in their early hits, I believe the main electronics and tape recording in this machine would produce a sound close to the original Meazzi 1 and 2 disk echo machines.

Here is a sample and I look forward to your comments. The preset for this song and the other 40+ shadows presets will be updated over the next few weeks and then released to anyone who wants them.

Definitely nailed the vibe! Nice!

Especially in the low register, there is that distinct growl of a vintage echo / verb.

Over the weekend, I was able to obtain the frequency spectrum of both the dry and wet signals from a vintage 1960's Meazzi Factotom Tube Tape echo machine. While this was not the exact same machine used by The Shadows in their early hits, I believe the main electronics and tape recording in this machine would produce a sound close to the original Meazzi 1 and 2 disk echo machines.

Here is a sample and I look forward to your comments. The preset for this song and the other 40+ shadows presets will be updated over the next few weeks and then released to anyone who wants them.

brilliant work as usual stratnvox, the echo, tone and all sounds bang on, I would really like to be able to download those new presets from you please and thank you :)

May Release for FW 14 plus

I'm pleased to release my "Firmware Version 14.02" - Shadows Presets 4. The journey to this point has had a couple of highlights, particularly with UltraRes IR's having such a great improvement on the sound of clean guitars.

3 week ago, a friend who owns several Meazzi Tape echo machines allowed me to capture the frequency response and of course the tonal changes that the machine added to the 1961-1965 recordings of many of the Shadows hits (The group had many chart hits in the UK, Europe and Australia/NZ during this period.) Suffice to say I have incorporated this information in these presets.

Unless some members have further contributions, this is likely to be the last release as improvements will now have diminishing returns for any effort. I'm now wanting to just enjoy these creations and hope that those who care to download and come back with suggestions can make further progress. You are most welcome to edit and change as you see fit.

Many thanks to Cliff and the team for their continuous improvements. Just wonderful!

Please note I have used User Cab slot #50 in most of these presets. The particular IR is TAF_ACRox_MIX.syx included in the FAS FW14.02. If that slot is free, please load it with the IR before importing these presets.
If you have already installed this IR, simply change the the reference in the CAB block as you load the preset.

There are several presets using the Fender "DoubleVerb" amp and therefore may I suggest this UltraRes IR for those - 2x12 Double Verb M160.syx again included in FW14.02 You will have to change any Fender preset because I have current installed a factory HighRes IR just for publishing.

Many of these presets are an update of any AxeChange preset found under my name. (I wish I could just update and/or remove and replace them.)

The Readme.pdf file contains details of the presets, their coding system and some background information regarding the development of this release.

Download Link: Shadows Presets 4 (this is a zip file containing the readme.pdf, listing of some 250 tunes and suggested preset for each and the 50 presets).

These presets are specifically designed for an FRFR configuration although there is an "effects" output prior to the amp block to OUTPUT2 which could be used when you have your own amp.

Please enjoy and look forward to feedback and recordings.

Last edited:
Hi,
I downloaded the patch, but no one can hear ... how can i make it work ?
I need to make some settings to the device ?
I have Fractal Axe FX mark2 .
Thanks !

The zip file contains 50 presets and a readme.pdf file. Use Axe-Edit to import each preset, one at a time and then save them anywhere you like.
As stated, using the latest FW with a Strat or other single coil pickups through a full range, flat response FRFR is the primary setup. If you have a Class A Amp such as a Vox Ac30 you can use OUT2 to utilise the effects only.

Hope this answers you questions.

Thanks for reply ,
i use combo mesa boogie mark v .
Setup : guitar Fender Strat - front imput(axe fx) -output 1 (axe fx) - imput mesa boogie .

Thanks for reply ,
i use combo mesa boogie mark v .
Setup : guitar Fender Strat - front imput(axe fx) -output 1 (axe fx) - imput mesa boogie .
As you load each preset, disable the the Amp and Cab block (near the centre, not the left most amp block) and set your amp to the cleanest setting.
Let us know how it goes.

Just downloaded them stratnvox, just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for all this efforts you have put in these!! Many thanks. My dad is an old time fan of the Shadows, we've been to the final tour together. This band has a special place in our family, and I am so thrilled to play the tunes! Even my young kids start to whistle them, lol.

Thanks!

Just downloaded them stratnvox, just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for all this efforts you have put in these!! Many thanks. My dad is an old time fan of the Shadows, we've been to the final tour together. This band has a special place in our family, and I am so thrilled to play the tunes! Even my young kids start to whistle them, lol.
Thanks!
Really great to hear from you. Just in case you don't have band support, there's hundreds of really good backing tracks under the title "UB Hank". Great place to get your whole family joining in!

Stratnvox, thank you for the latest presets they're sounding great I'm actually using the "Atlantis" patch for "Kon Tiki" as it sounds much better. I'm wondering whether you mixed those two up in names I know I have?
Thanks Nickxmix.

Stratnvox, thank you for the latest presets they're sounding great I'm actually using the "Atlantis" patch for "Kon Tiki" as it sounds much better. I'm wondering whether you mixed those two up in names I know I have?
Thanks Nickxmix.
Hi Nickxnix,

It could be that their mixed up but with Kon Tiki, I think it was originally recorded using a Vox AC30/4 with an EF86 preamp. As a consequence, I used the AC20 Treble Amp because the modelling is based on the EF86. There is a slight difference in the echo pattern in terms of output from each echo. In Kon Tiki, I look for the thump from the echo feedback like there is on the final chord. That thump of also present commencing the 2nd verse on the double stopped treble strings.

You are quite welcome to swap the amps around or try different presets for any number. I appreciate your feedback and really glad you are having fun with them.

Hello .. thank you and congratulations to these presets are excellent ( a big job )With my band we play titles of the shadows. Many thanks

Hello .. thank you and congratulations to these presets are excellent ( a big job )With my band we play titles of the shadows. Many thanks
So glad you are enjoying them. We had a meeting of "Shadow" players here (Sydney) on Sunday with the band made up by various players of Shadows number. My AxeFxII produced the best rhythm sound (better than a real acoustic) using another preset featuring a Gibson J200 Tone Match turned User IR Cab and my Strat with 13-54 strings and a .60mm nylon plectrum. My lead sounds were equally well received against real AC30's and Meazzi Tape echo units. Very pleased.

Just installed FW15b and having fun with the AC30's. Most of my Shadows presets will require a little change here and there to get the same feel. More on that later.

As mentioned above, I now use Rotosound Grey's (13-54) for rhythm and all 60's Shadows tunes. Get a heavy but sharp plectrum and that will make a real difference to the muted and non-muted tones. The use of the heavy strings and plectrum increases the output of the echoes when muted.

Cheers

Great to hear your patches worked so well against the real amps & Meazzi I'd love to get that acoustic tone match if that's possible.
Thanks again for the great patches and I see you got the bug again to improve some patches with FW15.
Cheers nickxmix

Back
Top Bottom