Insert a analog Preamp FX Send/Return

Ironwill

Experienced
At what i have to look at and take care by insert a analog preamp in the grid end, with Fx send/ Return ? ( cables, impedance, levels etc,)

Well, no speaker, want to try to insert a Vintech x73 preamp to the Axe FX, the x73 have a impedance switcher between 300 and 1200 Ohm not sure if it only affect the signal in the preamp itself or is it important what signal comes back to the Axe Return, stuff like that going through my head at the moment

Insert an FXL (Not Send and Return blocks) in your signal path (Grid)
Connect OUTPUT 2 to the input of your preamp
Connect Output (line Level) from your Preamp to INPUT 2

That should work. Please loom at page 67 of the AxeFX II manual. You will need to have your FXL block near your normal input and before your selected amp.

As far as impedance is concerned, it's unlikely to have any impact - neither the output or input on either device are high impedance. High impedance to low impedance creates a problem because the high impedance device is not driven correctly.

Try this and see how it works.

Insert an FXL (Not Send and Return blocks) in your signal path (Grid)
Connect OUTPUT 2 to the input of your preamp
Connect Output (line Level) from your Preamp to INPUT 2

That should work. Please loom at page 67 of the AxeFX II manual. You will need to have your FXL block near your normal input and before your selected amp.

As far as impedance is concerned, it's unlikely to have any impact - neither the output or input on either device are high impedance. High impedance to low impedance creates a problem because the high impedance device is not driven correctly.

Try this and see how it works.

So i can't have the insert preamp as last block at the grid before output the signal? :-/

All depends on what you want your preamp to do. There's little benefit having the FXL block just before the output unless you want the AxeFx to add some further EQ after your preamp. Unless this is the case, just route your output 1 direct to your preamp and then to your power amp.

Generally preamp go at the beginning of your signal path to add tube warmth to your sound. If that's what you want, just use AMP block and select Tube Preamp and don't bother with your external preamp. Try this before you go and spend money on a preamp.

What is your setup? What comes after the AxeFx?

I once placed a great river pre after the cab block on my ultra.
I liked it, whether or not it was a placebo is debatable
but if "you" like what you hear, that's all that matters anyways.

there is also no rule that says you can only use the send/return in certain parts of the chain
(after the cab block seemed like the logical place for me)

just try it, if you like it, then you'll be happy.
if not, unplug it and move on

Alright,do you think its a bad idea in general actually because of the Axe poweramp, cab sim. or so?

Personally, I wouldn't do it at all.

Placement will make it sound different that is all. You will hit the preamp harder if you place the block after the Axe-fx amp sim.

All depends on what you want your preamp to do. There's little benefit having the FXL block just before the output unless you want the AxeFx to add some further EQ after your preamp. Unless this is the case, just route your output 1 direct to your preamp and then to your power amp.

Generally preamp go at the beginning of your signal path to add tube warmth to your sound. If that's what you want, just use AMP block and select Tube Preamp and don't bother with your external preamp. Try this before you go and spend money on a preamp.

What is your setup? What comes after the AxeFx?

Thx for trying to help, actually i want to go out of the Axe FX to a preamp for eq and warmth from there to my interface and DAW, but i want to stay at recording with the Axe as interface, so i thought about to insert the preamp to the grid before i output the signal for recording all in my Axe, yep i don't know .. If it works

Back
Top Bottom