Shadows Presets

I agree the millisecond timings on AXE FX do not tie up with expected timings for head spacings on known Shadows tracks.
I don't know the answer but it's a puzzler?

Just recorded Apache #2 with 12.03 FW and changed preset timings from those that are mentioned in this thread. The preset is not updated in the download file yet - shortly it will be!

Last edited:
Just waiting for FW13 before releasing an updated set of presets for Shadows music.

Have been testing FW 12.04Beta and the sound is great. The most significant change to the presets is the use of the original Meazzi, Vox and Roland echo units specifications. Instead of guessing relative levels between echo record head output, I have used the specifications from the circuits as blogged by Paul Rossiter from TvsSpecialtyProducts and the frequency responses as outlined by Piet Verbruggen from EchoTapper of the various machines. I have taken the view that reproducing patches to copy the record is hard work for marginal gain. Apart from studio effects and mastering, the original machines were probably close to specification and we should see that as the standard rather then work backwards from a recording. Recordings can offer some help as one interpretation of the tune but its better to strive for your interpretation using the forthcoming presets as a starting point.

These changes and those due "imminently" from Cliff in FW13 should satisfy most Shadows players even if their equipment does not quite meet the original Shadows equipment for any number. Before UltraRes IR's for cabs, the sound and feel of playing with 12.04b and these presets will create enjoyment, I'm sure.

Even with FW12.03, we recently had the AxeFx II beside a real Meazzi Tape unit with a Vox AC15. A third party observer preferred the AxeFx sound to the "real" equipment saying that it was "warmer" even though it was an emulator. With FW 12.04b (and FW13.0 when released), all Vox amps in the AxeFxII produce cleaner sounds with slight compression under default settings. There's less to change with default amp settings other than how much "Drive" and "High Cut". Compression and nice clean saturation really provide an opportunity to show your fingers at work!

More later after our FAS team make the releases of CabLab, FW13.0 and new UltraRes Ir's.

Looking forward to it StratnVox. Appreciate your efforts since 11.03 as these were the only ones working in my Axe II.
Can't wait for the FW13 update to finally get your patches working again.
Thanks muchly nickxmix

Just an update on the progress of the new Shadows Presets.

With the release of FW13.02, the whole scene is dramatically different for the better, big time. Not only have the amps really improved but Ultrares IR's changes the tone and makes a great difference to what you hear both at low frequencies as well as high.

Before I make them available I'm waiting on the upgrade of CabLab to see if the IR's (which I have in .wav form from Red Wire) have the expected impact and then what happens to factory cab when converted to UltraRes via CabLab. When I then export the presets, I'll only include factory Cabs to comply with FAS Licencing. There will also be suggestions made to buy CabLab and/or specific IR's if you want to have your Shadows Presets produce the most realistic sound.

If Kevin at OH produces an IR based on the Celestion Blue with a Lawson 47 or better Neumann U47 set 12" in front of the cone, that would be very close to the early 60's recordings made in Abbey Road for both the Shadows and the early Beatles recordings.

More soon.

Finally, I have achieved my self imposed targets and I'm pleased to release my full version of Shadows Presets. Unless some members have further contributions, this is likely to be the last release as improvements following Firmware 13.02 will have diminishing returns for any effort. I'm now wanting to just enjoy these creations and hope that those who care to download and come back with suggestions can make further progress.

These presets require Axe-Fx II with Firmware 13.02 or later and urge you to upgrade to the latest. Many thanks to Cliff and the team for their continuous improvements. Just wonderful!

The introduction of UltraRes IR's in FW 13 together with other improvement has now "created the AMP in the room" and given a whole new feel to playing the Shadows music. As mentioned in the Readme.pdf file contained in the download, these presets make use of those UltraRes User Cab files that were packed with Version 13.02. These should be loaded using Axe Edit 3 prior to loading any of the presets and to avoid further editing we have assumed these User Cabs have been loading into slots #60, #62 and #63 for 1x12 ALN, 1x12 J12 and 2x12 FN. If you have them loaded into other slots, please edit the preset CAB block to select the correct User Cab. You can then use a Block Library save to easily recall the settings for other presets.

These presets are an update of any AxeChange preset found under my name. (I wish I could just update and/or remove and replace them.)

The Readme.pdf file contains details of the presets, their coding system and some background information regarding the development of this release.

Shadows Presets 3 (this is a zip file containing the readme.pdf, listing of some 250 tunes and suggested preset for each and the 48 presets).

These presets are specifically designed for an FRFR configuration although there is an "effects" output prior to the amp block to OUTPUT2 which could be used when you have your own amp.

Please enjoy and look forward to feedback and recordings.

Last edited:
More improvements shortly

I have an apology to make. After providing posting that Shadows Presets 3 was available to download and then trying to enjoy my work playing some tunes (in fact attempting to record a couple of examples using the FAS/OH Cab Pack 3 with my presets), I discovered the layout and tone of the "tape echo" was not as good as it could be and not to the standard that I'm happy with.

So, if you have downloaded from the link in #28 (or even from other posting in this thread), please "hold the phone" and over the next couple of days, I'll make Shadows Presets 4 available. That will provide the "tone seekers" with a couple of presets to compare.
Sorry for the errors in #3. I hope you can wait to really enjoy the next version.

Just loaded FW14 and now checking all presets before making them available. I'll also be spending so time with a friend who has several meazzi tape echo machines, taking some audio measurements on its tonal characteristics so that my EQ for those presets (early Shadows hits) are more accurate.

One of the most amazing things about the AxeFxII is the ability to try different amps and cabs. Trying to match the tone of studio recording over a period of 30 years and especially the early 60's when guitar amps were developing, there is no accurate information that tells us what equipment was used and I have found some amazing matches within the axefx amps which someone with a "real" amp could only achieve by finding and buying no less than 4 amps and dozens of effects units.
I might also warn those who are wishing to really closely match the recorded sound that they should save some money to buy some UltraRes cab IR's. TAF and I believe Red Wirez have IR's recorded with U47 microphones which were part of the Abbey Road sound for both the Shadows and the Beatles.

More soon.

hey stratnvox I tried the peace pipe preset last week, thought it was brilliant, really nice warm hank marvin tone comin out my strat now, thanks again for the work you are doing here.

you mentioned the redwirez irs, I've got the ownhammer ultras already, do you think it's worth getting the redwirez too?

hey stratnvox I tried the peace pipe preset last week, thought it was brilliant, really nice warm hank marvin tone comin out my strat now, thanks again for the work you are doing here.

you mentioned the redwirez irs, I've got the ownhammer ultras already, do you think it's worth getting the redwirez too?

Thanks for your comments. Very glad you like it and I hope you can audition a new version shortly.
I have purchased UR IR's from Ownhammer and from Andy at TAF. So far, I like Andy's Mix on 1966 Vox Blues Cabinet the best and although I have tried coming up with my own recipe around the famous U47 mic's, its not as good as Andy's.
Originally I liked the Rewirez IR's but we have yet to see if they come out with some UR versions. I can produce UR IR's but suspect the sample was shorter than 170ms needed to achieve the full spectrum.

If you like the OH "FN" 2x12, it's pretty good but it's a little "darker" than the Blues.

Just waiting for a friend to give me the nod to obtain an audio spectrum on some Meazzi Tape Echo machines. I'm hoping it will confirm my estimates of the frequency response from these machines. The added extra I have with the next update of these presets, is amp compression without distortion. So close to the way the meazzi's AX7 tubes behave! Play like Hank, get Hanks sound. The only problem is understanding the recording and mastering changes that produced "That Sound".

About half way through the next versions.

woaa

thanks very much for the presets

Finally, I have achieved my self imposed targets and I'm pleased to release my full version of Shadows Presets. Unless some members have further contributions, this is likely to be the last release as improvements following Firmware 13.02 will have diminishing returns for any effort. I'm now wanting to just enjoy these creations and hope that those who care to download and come back with suggestions can make further progress.

These presets require Axe-Fx II with Firmware 13.02 or later and urge you to upgrade to the latest. Many thanks to Cliff and the team for their continuous improvements. Just wonderful!

The introduction of UltraRes IR's in FW 13 together with other improvement has now "created the AMP in the room" and given a whole new feel to playing the Shadows music. As mentioned in the Readme.pdf file contained in the download, these presets make use of those UltraRes User Cab files that were packed with Version 13.02. These should be loaded using Axe Edit 3 prior to loading any of the presets and to avoid further editing we have assumed these User Cabs have been loading into slots #60, #62 and #63 for 1x12 ALN, 1x12 J12 and 2x12 FN. If you have them loaded into other slots, please edit the preset CAB block to select the correct User Cab. You can then use a Block Library save to easily recall the settings for other presets.

These presets are an update of any AxeChange preset found under my name. (I wish I could just update and/or remove and replace them.)

The Readme.pdf file contains details of the presets, their coding system and some background information regarding the development of this release.

Shadows Presets 3 (this is a zip file containing the readme.pdf, listing of some 250 tunes and suggested preset for each and the 48 presets).

These presets are specifically designed for an FRFR configuration although there is an "effects" output prior to the amp block to OUTPUT2 which could be used when you have your own amp.

Please enjoy and look forward to feedback and recordings.

Thanks for your comments. Very glad you like it and I hope you can audition a new version shortly.
I have purchased UR IR's from Ownhammer and from Andy at TAF. So far, I like Andy's Mix on 1966 Vox Blues Cabinet the best and although I have tried coming up with my own recipe around the famous U47 mic's, its not as good as Andy's.
Originally I liked the Rewirez IR's but we have yet to see if they come out with some UR versions. I can produce UR IR's but suspect the sample was shorter than 170ms needed to achieve the full spectrum.

If you like the OH "FN" 2x12, it's pretty good but it's a little "darker" than the Blues.

Just waiting for a friend to give me the nod to obtain an audio spectrum on some Meazzi Tape Echo machines. I'm hoping it will confirm my estimates of the frequency response from these machines. The added extra I have with the next update of these presets, is amp compression without distortion. So close to the way the meazzi's AX7 tubes behave! Play like Hank, get Hanks sound. The only problem is understanding the recording and mastering changes that produced "That Sound".

About half way through the next versions.

thanks for the advice mate, I appreciate you taking the time. think i'll wait a little while before purchasing anymore ir's and see what happens with the ultra res.

wish I had the ability you obviously have with all this equipment. I still don't know what to do half the time when I switch the axe fx on, maybe it's a blessing in disguise as I can spend more time just playing my guitar. :)

Over the weekend, I was able to obtain the frequency spectrum of both the dry and wet signals from a vintage 1960's Meazzi Factotom Tube Tape echo machine. While this was not the exact same machine used by The Shadows in their early hits, I believe the main electronics and tape recording in this machine would produce a sound close to the original Meazzi 1 and 2 disk echo machines.

Here is a sample and I look forward to your comments. The preset for this song and the other 40+ shadows presets will be updated over the next few weeks and then released to anyone who wants them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom