TAF "The Legends" UltraRes IR OUT NOW!

hmm, would much prefer smaller premixed packs, by those who know much more about what mic's do what. eg 5 dollar pick and choose. I would also highly recommend you and other companies, provide more guidance to the 98% of those that not only have never played through these cabs and mics but have NO idea what are useful for what genre. Just randomly suggesting cabs and amps is daunting , causes ear fatigue and really is causing me to lose valuable practice rather than tweek skill.

Dont get me wrong I love the idea behind all this but without some clues its very random to me.

Finally, hoping you will do the same for heavy , modern, 4x4 cabs mesa engl Randall Krank Diamond (think we have enough marshalls) Peavey etcetera, thanks.

Last edited:
Had a chance to dig in to these tonight and I can say: nice work Andy! That TangoJR was the 2x12 V30 cab I've been looking for but hadn't been able to find until now. It's brought my Trey Anastasio patch to a whole other level.

I'm really loving the _STARTHERE_ directory. That's a great way to cut down the insanity of choices when people first crack open that package and start digging through all the IRs. And your mixes are really excellent.

I didn't think I *needed* an XL, but with all these tasty IR choices out there now I'm beginning to think want is changing to need!

I'd love to buy a "light" package, basicly a collection of studio and live-proven mix IRs. Just a few, like 20-30, with each one perfectly matched to fit a certain popular amp (like AC30, Bassman, Recto, etc.).
I just don't want to scroll through 10 different mic configurations for each IR... I just want one professionally done mix for each cab (kinda like the mix IRs that came with one of the firmwares). Why is no professional IR maker doing something like this?

It's just totally inconvenient to scroll and audition 700 IRs.

Good Morning..

Thanks to all that replied, its nice to see some positive feedback, as naturally this helps drive the future. - however, I feel that with "700" IR's it can be quite an overwhelming experience. and one that can leave many confused, so I just wanted to explain my thoughts.. of course this is not fact or science, its simply a helping hand that will hopefully make your journey easier.

The Individual Mics are just that. I think once the appropriate software is released then this will come more into play as there is a lot of scope here to sculpt your own cab sound..
-Generally I tried to set the files up in a "easy way" to manage and to get quick access, so I labeled them 1 through to (x) x being the last available position. - Once you get used to this its actually easier than you think...
-For example. if you want a brighter sound, then use 1 & 2, if you want a darker sound use 3 & 4, etc.. this also applies for blending, you might want to blend 4 with 1 for example..
-I added all sorts of variety Mix IR;s for those that simply want to plug and play, this will not appeal to everyone, and as you know, when creating sound you always create something that sounds good for you..because the guitar world is so full of unlimited variables that its impossible to get a common ground.
-For Classic Rock/Blues/Country I found the "Room" mixes work really well, (especially played loud)
-For modern rock/metal the close direct mics will work best.
-My IR's are quite different to most out there, so my advise is to start a new patch for testing purposes. - (In testing I literally had the amp+cab) and did not use any other functions, or deep editing.

Bottom line, Please don't let the amount frighten you. - I know that large libs such as this can be daunting, but you don't need to use them all in a day!...this is why I created a _starthere_ folder, so you can find what you like and then modify things from that point...

Respect to you all, & thankyou

Andy

Hi Andy,

Bought, installed and used them. Excellent balance using your single cab mixes. I've being looking forward to your ACRox blues and there was total satisfaction. The chime comes through and will stand in any mix.

Looking forward to create my own mixes around the classic U47 mic's for my Shadows presets. Would like a single blue for AC15 rox but that's a smaller market.

I'm intrigued... but am reluctant to end up with the same feeling that I had when first getting the Redz pack for the Ultra - after a little flipping thorough, the wood and the trees all get hazy. I the end, I don't think I really used anything much from them

The FAS Mad Oak series was the first pack of its type to really bring some magic for me - I guess that's possibly because there weren't hundreds of options..? In fact, I only used one of those in the end too... but it was good

UltraRes hasn't revealed an 'improved' direct replacement yet, although I got kinda close with one of the FW13 bundled 10

Of course, I'm not suggesting that there isn't something as good, if not 'better' available, but as patient and thorough as I am, I'm not sure that trying to wade through so many variations is on the cards for me

Credit for the work done though!
thumbsup.gif

So the raw .ir files are included for mixing in Cab Lab but the wav files aren't? Any indication if the latter will be made available at some point?

It would appear that some of the users of the most sophisticated guitar processor are complaining and confused about a product they have purchased but don't actually need.

Little wonder that the manufacturers of lesser equipment question whether their users even understand what they would do with a custom IR facility.

I'd love to buy a "light" package, basicly a collection of studio and live-proven mix IRs. Just a few, like 20-30, with each one perfectly matched to fit a certain popular amp (like AC30, Bassman, Recto, etc.).
I just don't want to scroll through 10 different mic configurations for each IR... I just want one professionally done mix for each cab (kinda like the mix IRs that came with one of the firmwares). Why is no professional IR maker doing something like this?

you should see the BIGBOX red wirez package...over...get ready... 11,000 files...... for any given sample rate, and they come in all sample rates.

I free with you, a separate mixed Library could be useful to most guitar player because all those mic options are more then anything for studio work, and it could be more affordable too.

I don't have a purchase button with Firefox. With IE (on the same computer) there is?
Other people have the same problem?

Marco

I'd love to buy a "light" package, basicly a collection of studio and live-proven mix IRs. Just a few, like 20-30, with each one perfectly matched to fit a certain popular amp (like AC30, Bassman, Recto, etc.). I just don't want to scroll through 10 different mic configurations for each IR... I just want one professionally done mix for each cab (kinda like the mix IRs that came with one of the firmwares). Why is no professional IR maker doing something like this? It's just totally inconvenient to scroll and audition 700 IRs.

Look at it this way: your "light package" comes with a lovely set of mixes and a bonus compliment of individual mic captures. You can just ignore the bonus content! :)

The problem with this is that there is no "perfect" there is only your version of perfect, - there are MANY ways to get a tone, and every person, studio, engineer will get different results, even if used the same equipment, so whilst I or someone else can spent ages to get the tone you desire, this then may not fit with joe next door...and as a commerical vendor, its important I reach to as many people as possible.

This is the reason why the "single" mic situation exists.. so if your not happy with the mixes. you can then tailor it yourself... even on the same cab, using different mic techniques you can get endless amount of possibilities. - and unfortunately in music there is no one shoe that fits all. - and in music creation.. its always better to have something you don't need than not having it at all....

Good Morning..

Thanks to all that replied, its nice to see some positive feedback, as naturally this helps drive the future. - however, I feel that with "700" IR's it can be quite an overwhelming experience. and one that can leave many confused, so I just wanted to explain my thoughts.. of course this is not fact or science, its simply a helping hand that will hopefully make your journey easier.

The Individual Mics are just that. I think once the appropriate software is released then this will come more into play as there is a lot of scope here to sculpt your own cab sound..
-Generally I tried to set the files up in a "easy way" to manage and to get quick access, so I labeled them 1 through to (x) x being the last available position. - Once you get used to this its actually easier than you think...
-For example. if you want a brighter sound, then use 1 & 2, if you want a darker sound use 3 & 4, etc.. this also applies for blending, you might want to blend 4 with 1 for example..
-I added all sorts of variety Mix IR;s for those that simply want to plug and play, this will not appeal to everyone, and as you know, when creating sound you always create something that sounds good for you..because the guitar world is so full of unlimited variables that its impossible to get a common ground.
-For Classic Rock/Blues/Country I found the "Room" mixes work really well, (especially played loud)
-For modern rock/metal the close direct mics will work best.
-My IR's are quite different to most out there, so my advise is to start a new patch for testing purposes. - (In testing I literally had the amp+cab) and did not use any other functions, or deep editing.

Bottom line, Please don't let the amount frighten you. - I know that large libs such as this can be daunting, but you don't need to use them all in a day!...this is why I created a _starthere_ folder, so you can find what you like and then modify things from that point...

Respect to you all, & thankyou

Andy

I value the large IR assortment in combination with this sort of guidance from the supplier. Thanks Andy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the MIX ROOMs sound amazing. The other mixes sound good too but are a bit brighter for my tastes. Looking forward to playing with the IRs once we get the facility through Cab Lab.

UKRox made it right into my production presets. I like it mixed with the "Art". I'll use Cab-Lab 2.0 (later) to bring in a touch of Mars Vintage.

Really nice work, Andy.

The TAF Legends pack has pre-mixed IR's. Also, one of the three Cab Packs's in the Fractal Store, or the Ownhammer Studio Mix Libraries, are good options to look at.

Terry.

+1 for a cheaper 'Light' option, maybe just the mixes as per the 'Start Here' folder referenced earlier.

I think a massive and carefully-cultivated collection of mics\positions makes perfect sense to anyone who has recorded guitars the old school way. When you would spend hours trying different mics and nudging their exact positions relative to the cone to find the sweetest spot. If you've done a lot of that in the past, you want the ability to virtualize the process. But a lot of us simply want to sound great with minimal effort.

+1 for a cheaper 'Light' option, maybe just the mixes as per the 'Start Here' folder referenced earlier.

I think a massive and carefully-cultivated collection of mics\positions makes perfect sense to anyone who has recorded guitars the old school way. When you would spend hours trying different mics and nudging their exact positions relative to the cone to find the sweetest spot. If you've done a lot of that in the past, you want the ability to virtualize the process. But a lot of us simply want to sound great with minimal effort.

100% Echo this. For the number of cabs available here, if another product like this were introduced a the same price and the same options, I wouldn't buy again but if a limited non-engineer product was available at prices similar to competitors of yours, I'd be all over that.

Back
Top Bottom