One last try before I pull the pin

serge20261

Inspired
Let me start by saying that it's not the Axe that's letting me down,but the operator. I just can't get that wow factor tone that I'm constantly reading about here.im running the latest Firmware 13.02,purchased the ownhammer irs,not sure what I'm doing am I supposed click on high res and install an ownhammer cab,don't know what settings.I am running a matrix GT 1000 1U amp, with two matrix q12 speakers,are there any guys who use this setup? What are your thoughts?
Should I use a guitar cab? I'm totally confused
I've held on to it longer then I usually would because of all the hype
I play mainly covers,doobie bros,to AcDc,so not after any metal tones,any advice will be greatly appreciated

start with the basics. never mind the other IRs and loading things.

what's an amp in there you're familiar with? maybe you need to use some 2x12 cab sims for the kinda music you mentioned (if you aren't already). what guitar are you using? will the guitar produce the tones you want to hear?

have you experienced the tone you're seeking with real amps before? what amps have you played before and what are you used to?

start with the basics. never mind the other IRs and loading things.

what's an amp in there you're familiar with? maybe you need to use some 2x12 cab sims for the kinda music you mentioned (if you aren't already). what guitar are you using? will the guitar produce the tones you want to hear?

have you experienced the tone you're seeking with real amps before? what amps have you played before and what are you used to?

Thanks for your response,I use a Bogner Shiva with a Bogner OS 212 cab,I get the tones I want thru the shiva,my guitars are by a builder here in Australia Charles Cilia,I use single coils,and humbucker a,depending on what I'm playing.
It's just very confusing when you select an amp say the Bogner and has so many more parameters that I'm used to,same as the cab block.
Do you think those FrFr speakers are letting me down?

What if you run your Axe in combination with the Matrix poweramp driving your Bogner cab? Does that give you satisfying tones? The Axe has many parameters, but finding a decent tone with only adjusting the basic controls shouldn't be that problematic. Maybe the issue is that you don't like the close-mic-ed tones you get with using IRs into FRFR amplification.

What if you run your Axe in combination with the Matrix poweramp driving your Bogner cab? Does that give you satisfying tones? The Axe has many parameters, but finding a decent tone with only adjusting the basic controls shouldn't be that problematic. Maybe the issue is that you don't like the close-mic-ed tones you get with using IRs into FRFR amplification.
I will give that a go,going thru my Bogner cab,do I turn the cab sim off? Any other prep I should do

I will give that a go,going thru my Bogner cab,do I turn the cab sim off? Any other prep I should do

I think that pretty much covers it. Check out the wiki page for some additional pointers. I don't have much experience with the power amp + guitar cab setup myself, I'm an FRFR guy, but my impression from people who do use that setup is that they're very happy with the tones they get.

The Bogner Shiva has been my main rig for many years prior to the axe (I'm a Bogner artist). The Shiver LD sim can get you very very close.

I use a matrix gt800fx in bridge mode to power a traditional guitar cab. The next step is to make sure you're matching the same tube type as your Bogner. As we Bogner users all know, they come in many different tube types. The AxeFx defaults to using 6L6s because that's what Cliff has. Match your tube type if it's different from 6l6s (KT88, or El34) and that should get you pretty damn close. I find I like the amp with the bright switch ON. YMMV.

Make sure power amp modeling is on. Make sure your preset doesn't have a cab block BEFORE the output is sent to the power amp. I use the FXL block to send my signal to output 2 which then goes to my matrix into a Port City OS 2x12 Cab.

Remember FRFR isn't the same as using a traditional guitar cab. They're going to sound different.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
My recommendation would be: 'try all amps!'
Yesterday I retried the Fryette Deliverance after a long time and I found a huge improvement. I got the part that I like about Mesas, and the parts that I didn't like about them weren't in the tone.
Mesa Mark IIC+ is called as the 'holy grail of high gain tone', but in this situation I found the Fryette much much more useful.
Lastly, give a try to the R121 IRs instead of the mix IRs. I found them much more useful. There is something lacking in the mix IRs for me, what lacks, I cannot say..

Reactions: J.C
You could make a good recording of your original amp, and make an IR out of that.

IMHO I find that most stock IR are pretty shite for what i need anyway, doesn't give me anything to work with, and you can eq all you want, it will bnever get you there. But once you find a good one, it opens up. I am now in the process of making my own IR's from my own recordings, and i think that's the only way I'll get the tone I really want.

Good luck, I've also been to the point of giving up a couple of times ;) It does take time to change your mindset to approach this axefx.

If you stick a decent set of headphones into the AXE FX does it give you the sound you expect? This may give some indication if your power-amp setup and guitar cab are changing the sound, or if you just haven't got the sound yet.

My recommendation would be: 'try all amps!'
Yesterday I retried the Fryette Deliverance after a long time and I found a huge improvement. I got the part that I like about Mesas, and the parts that I didn't like about them weren't in the tone.
Mesa Mark IIC+ is called as the 'holy grail of high gain tone', but in this situation I found the Fryette much much more useful.

Agreed. Even from firmware to firmware I've ended up using different amps, often ones that I have never even seen in real life. But even more so, try all the cabs! It depends on what your ideal tone is but I find the new UltraRes OH cabs included with FW 13 can really sound fantastic for many tones but for others the regular cabs will do the trick better. The cab models change everything so much.

Personally I'm very happy with Axe and FRFR (Atomic FR) as long as it's pumping out enough volume. I don't think the OP's Matrix setup should be any worse.

It's just very confusing when you select an amp say the Bogner and has so many more parameters that I'm used to,same as the cab block.

Have you tried only using the controls that you know and leaving the rest alone? Especially with v13 now, I barely touch anything more than drive, bass, mid, treble and master volume.

I use a Bogner Shiva with a Bogner OS 212 cab, I get the tones I want thru the shiva...

Switching to a FRFR can be a factor for sure. Do both setups produce about the same perceivable volume level?

Also, for it to sound "right" to your ears you may want to emulate the effects of a guitar cab. Something like...roll off around 6200-6800hz, and cut below around 150-180hz

Download some patches in your genre that are already tweaked, then add salt to taste. That's how I was able to get that sound I have been searching 20 years for.

Here are a few of my "go-to" adjustments as someone who has used the unit for several years with both guitar cabs and FRFR:

- If you like classic rock, ACDC, etc., turn the distortion up (first knob in AMP) and the input trim (drive?) (second knob down). You'll get a more cleaner distortion that is perfect for classic rock.

- On almost every preset I use, I automatically turn "Dynamics" and "Pick Attack" up to 1 o'clock to "open" things up a bit.

- One of my favorite things is "B+Constant". With most amps, especially high gain with chugging riffs, I'll turn this up to "45". This is one of the best things in the unit in my opinion, especially for metal players.

- Some folks never seem to have to reset amps but sometimes I do. If I'm playing something and the amp just sounds off, I'll double-click bypass to start at square one. With most amps I don't have to do this but occasionally it happens.

- One important thing is to get away from just "bass, treble, and mids" to control the EQ. I barely touch those. When I want more low end feel, etc. I mess with "Depth, Damping, EQ sliders", etc. Same with treble. Sometimes, adjusting treble does not do much. If I can't get enough high end, I'll add a touch of character, turn presence up, etc.

- I can't overestimate the importance of trying the "Compressor" and "Drive" blocks to get a great sound. Using a drive pedal as a boost, can add so much to the tone.

Hope this helps. I've had this unit for years and almost play guitar daily. I still turn knobs like a mad scientist and haven't figured everything out. I can tell you that Cliff and Co are making it easier to get tones without turning knobs in each firmware update.

If you stick a decent set of headphones into the AXE FX does it give you the sound you expect? This may give some indication if your power-amp setup and guitar cab are changing the sound, or if you just haven't got the sound yet.

Haven't tried headphones,yet.But my mate brought a probable valid point,when I'm trying to dial in a preset I have the speakers stacked and pointing towards me,at rehearsal there behind me,are theses FRFR speakers linear in the sense that they project is tunnel like.Just to add to this the sound is not to shabby when the speakers are facing me,at rehearsal the axe sounds as though it was completely re equed

Here are a few of my "go-to" adjustments as someone who has used the unit for several years with both guitar cabs and FRFR:

- If you like classic rock, ACDC, etc., turn the distortion up (first knob in AMP) and the input trim (drive?) (second knob down). You'll get a more cleaner distortion that is perfect for classic rock.

- On almost every preset I use, I automatically turn "Dynamics" and "Pick Attack" up to 1 o'clock to "open" things up a bit.

- One of my favorite things is "B+Constant". With most amps, especially high gain with chugging riffs, I'll turn this up to "45". This is one of the best things in the unit in my opinion, especially for metal players.

- Some folks never seem to have to reset amps but sometimes I do. If I'm playing something and the amp just sounds off, I'll double-click bypass to start at square one. With most amps I don't have to do this but occasionally it happens.

- One important thing is to get away from just "bass, treble, and mids" to control the EQ. I barely touch those. When I want more low end feel, etc. I mess with "Depth, Damping, EQ sliders", etc. Same with treble. Sometimes, adjusting treble does not do much. If I can't get enough high end, I'll add a touch of character, turn presence up, etc.

- I can't overestimate the importance of trying the "Compressor" and "Drive" blocks to get a great sound. Using a drive pedal as a boost, can add so much to the tone.

Hope this helps. I've had this unit for years and almost play guitar daily. I still turn knobs like a mad scientist and haven't figured everything out. I can tell you that Cliff and Co are making it easier to get tones without turning knobs in each firmware update.
Wow thanks for your tips I would of never ventured into that territory,with me it's a case of you have no idea what that does don't touch it,suppose I should tinker a bit more.
Do you mainly use FRFR or Guitar cab? At the moment I'm just not comfortable using the axe at a gig.
As I said I know the Axe is capable of delivering but unfortunately the nut behind it is letting it down.

Back
Top Bottom