In-ear Monitor suggestions?

Brogen72

Inspired
Any guitar players on the forum here using in-ear monitors for their gigs? My band will be playing clubs, bars, and local outdoor events. I'm looking to invest in some that are excellent quality but wont break the bank. I don't know a whole lot about these so what are the components that I must have?

I use IEM. I'm currently running a Behringer X32 rack mixer and using an ART S8 mic splitter to split vocals, other guitarist, bass, kick, and snare. I give the soundguy my tails, which are labeled, and the rest of the band plugs into the snake.

There's a few other guys here who are running IEM too. There's a thread around here in the "Rigs" section. Do a search on IEM.

Hope this helps!

-PJ

In-Ear Monitor Setup

Yeah - I did a ton of research recently about this. Just search the forums and google (which will lead you to the forums HA!). I ended up going with Westone UM2's. They are pretty rad. I've used them for a few practices and one show so far. I run OUT 2 from the Axe in stereo to a Rockon Audio Tasty Blender. I then take a mono feed from front of house in the 3rd input of the Tasty Blender. At practice I just run keys, bass, and samplers thru PA and mixer then feed the Tasty Blender that way. I also use the Rockon Audio cable which is essentially a combined 1/4 guitar cable and 1/8 headphone jack so I just run one tether to my rig. So far, I dig it. Below is a pic of what it all looks like. (The little box on the right side of the keyboard is the Tasty Blender).

Attachments

• photo(7).jpg
    photo(7).jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 38
Second vote on the UM2, I have Ultimate Ears UE7's now, but if I didn't have them I'd use the UMs. Custom molded are amazingly better than the generic fits, but if you are new to IEMs or on a budget generic may be the way to go. My band uses a Presonus Studio Live 24.4.2 with Carvin IEM packs and UMs or UE7's across the board. HTH

Kevin

Last edited:
Thanks, I had Westone in my list so I will be looking at those. I definitely want to go with the custom ear molds I think.

Any guitar players on the forum here using in-ear monitors for their gigs? My band will be playing clubs, bars, and local outdoor events. I'm looking to invest in some that are excellent quality but wont break the bank. I don't know a whole lot about these so what are the components that I must have?

I've been using a MIPRO In Ear System(MIPRO 808T/R True Diversity Tour-Grade Wireless In Ear Monitor System) for a long time.. never had any issues, the earpieces that come with that system aren't very good but can be good for backup, so you'll need something better, most of the other guys in the band use SHURE Systems which are very good but much more expensive.

I am using the Westone ES-5 IEM molds with the Sennheiser 300 wireless system. Our whole band has this same setup.

I am using the Westone ES-5 IEM molds with the Sennheiser 300 wireless system. Our whole band has this same setup.

Hey dude...are you on the Sennheiser G2 or the G3? I have the G2, and I find there's this annoying hiss and noise floor that I cant seem to get rid of.

I have been using the Westone ES5s for about 4 years! Very good IEMS and great for listening to music on the go! I am switching to Sensaphonic IEMS shortly with their 3D AARO Active Ambient System. Allows you to balance your mix with built in condencer mics in the IEMs. Plus they are silicon vice the acrylic that most IEM producers use. I'm a notorious "one in, one out" user because I like to her the crowd and the FOH mix. This will allow me to keep both ears in and still hear the crowd. Check them out at thttp://www.sensaphonics.com/3d

Back
Top Bottom