PRS vs Parker!

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in but I couldn't find one that fit it. I have a Schecter Blackjack SLS series guitar and am thinking about selling it and getting a new guitar. Two companies that I've stumbled on is Parker and PRS. They are expensive so I'd like to know which is better before throwing my money down. Or if there is another company you recommend higher than those two, then mention that brand, I'd appreciate any recommendations. I need the guitar to be versatile in sound, I'd like to go from jazz fusion to death metal to nice cleans to progressive rock/metal, etc. I really enjoy the slim smooth neck of my blackjack so I'd like something similar in my next guitar. I know a lot of people say Parkers are ugly but I don't care about that, I just care about playability and sound. I do have the Axe FX 2 with a Matrix GT1000FX amp and 2 Matrix CFR12 speakers in case any of that makes a difference in the choice of guitar. If I didn't mention an important piece of information that you might need to make the right choice then just say so and I will do my best to clear it up. Thank you in advance!:)

Hey,

I've had five parkers, four PRS, and currently own two suhrs (modern and strat)

I'd have to say that the best and most consistent are the PRS as far as build and playability.

I am a huge fan of the parkers but I had too many quality issues with them and now all the new ones have a straight 14" radius instead of the 10-13" radius they used to have.
I much prefer a rounder radius fingerboard like the PRS.

The suhrs are great but in my opinion don't play as well as the PRS I've owned.
But they have the best sound of any guitar I've owned.

My advice, try them all then decide.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

It's all subjective mate. I personally don't play anything other PRS, but I've heard some truly luscious sounding Parker's over the years. Choice of pickup is an important consideration. Play them both and consider other brands. For the money of a new PRS or Parker, you could have a luthier build you a guitar to your spec, no compromises. Black water Guitars and Ran guitars are good choices, but my Blackmachine is one of a kind, but you'll never get your hands on one without spend crazy money.

There's no right or wrong answer for your question.

I have a number of PRSs and one Parker. I'm in the process of downsizing my inventory, but I don't think I'm going to let the Parker go. There's just something I like about the feel and tone of it, and the piezo tone on it is one of the best I've heard. Agree with Fabio... there's no wrong answer between the two.

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in but I couldn't find one that fit it. I have a Schecter Blackjack SLS series guitar and am thinking about selling it and getting a new guitar. Two companies that I've stumbled on is Parker and PRS. They are expensive so I'd like to know which is better before throwing my money down. Or if there is another company you recommend higher than those two, then mention that brand, I'd appreciate any recommendations. I need the guitar to be versatile in sound, I'd like to go from jazz fusion to death metal to nice cleans to progressive rock/metal, etc. I really enjoy the slim smooth neck of my blackjack so I'd like something similar in my next guitar. I know a lot of people say Parkers are ugly but I don't care about that, I just care about playability and sound. I do have the Axe FX 2 with a Matrix GT1000FX amp and 2 Matrix CFR12 speakers in case any of that makes a difference in the choice of guitar. If I didn't mention an important piece of information that you might need to make the right choice then just say so and I will do my best to clear it up. Thank you in advance!:)

I like the range of genres you cover Doc. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thread but it's like asking what type of music do you like... Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Pun Rock, or Thrash, Ha yes that's a lyric it's all subjective. I say use what play's best for you and let your fingers be the judge.

I love Parkers and PRS, but I nearly always pick up one of my Musicman guitars so I guess that says something. I've sold my last Parker Fly but wouldn't mind picking up another one but I find they are the most focussed of all in terms of feel and tone.

Take a look at the Musicman range, my personal favourite is the Albert Lee HH model, but I also like the Axis sport. For your needs, I think the JP range would be a good choice as they can cover a hell of a lot of ground. Don't pay too much attention to the artist endorsement side of things, they are all great guitars in their own right.

Oh and one last thing, if I don't grab one of my Musicman guitars then the next one I go for is my Tom Anderson hollow drop top and then one of my PRS based purely on playability, feel and tone.

Try as many as you can if possible and don't just buy on looks or spec alone.

It's all subjective mate. I personally don't play anything other PRS, but I've heard some truly luscious sounding Parker's over the years. Choice of pickup is an important consideration. Play them both and consider other brands. For the money of a new PRS or Parker, you could have a luthier build you a guitar to your spec, no compromises. Black water Guitars and Ran guitars are good choices, but my Blackmachine is one of a kind, but you'll never get your hands on one without spend crazy money.

There's no right or wrong answer for your question.

Spending big amount of money on luthier is risky business...

First because every guitar is very different from another
Second and most important if you don't like your guitar ... Troubles
Second hand market dislike such genre of guitars ... Forget to make a deal ... You will loos at list 50% + of what you paid for...

For the OP ... 2 completely different guitars ... Impossible to say ...
And PARKER is very different from pretty every other guitar in the market...

IMHO with several guitars owned ... I found a rule ... Less wood less tone

Sure the Axe can compensate that lack

Well it seems that there is no clear cut answer. How about I ask which guitar is best from each company for what I am looking for? And that way I can have a more specific comparison. Like I don't know if the parker fly mojo, fly mojo midi, maxxfly, or nitefly is best. And I don't know which is best from PRS either, I was looking at the P24 Trem. Thanks everybody for the replies.

The suhr, black water, and blackmachine guitars all seem awesome. Anybody else have any experience with any of these?? How do they compare to Parker and PRS?

Last edited:
I have a Blacmachine B2 and half a dozen Custom 24's by PRS. I have a Strat and I'm gassing for a Suhr. The B2 is too expensive to take out gigging and is easily the best playing guitar I've ever owed., I rely on the PRS most of the time and in 12 years of playing them, they've never once let me down. The HFS/VB pickups in the Custom 24's are remarkably versatile, although I do prefer my wiring mods on the stock configuration.

I am really fortunate own a lot of guitars and I am almost on the edge of having a problem! This being said my honest opinion for what is worth: I have several Tom Anderson's, PRS DGT, Musicman Axis EVH, Gibson Les Paul Standard, G&L Legacy, G&L ASAT, Valley Arts Brent Mason, Fender 52 RI Telecaster, and my latest is a new Suhr Classic Antique Strat. I was really excited about getting the Suhr with the baked maple neck. It does have a great feel to the back of the neck and it sounds great. Comparing all of them though, the Tom Anderson guitars are the best I own. His fretwork, finish and attention to detail are incredible.

Hey,

I've had five parkers, four PRS, and currently own two suhrs (modern and strat)

I'd have to say that the best and most consistent are the PRS as far as build and playability.

I am a huge fan of the parkers but I had too many quality issues with them and now all the new ones have a straight 14" radius instead of the 10-13" radius they used to have.
I much prefer a rounder radius fingerboard like the PRS.

The suhrs are great but in my opinion don't play as well as the PRS I've owned.
But they have the best sound of any guitar I've owned.

My advice, try them all then decide.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

That's really interesting. Did you buy the Suhr new? I hear they're just like Andersons and I find Anderson to have a slight playability edge over PRS. I don't have a Suhr dealer near me and played a few used dogs that had been abused. I'm interested in trying one that's been well kept but the comment that they don't play as smooth as PRS is surprising.

I am really fortunate own a lot of guitars and I am almost on the edge of having a problem! This being said my honest opinion for what is worth: I have several Tom Anderson's, PRS DGT, Musicman Axis EVH, Gibson Les Paul Standard, G&L Legacy, G&L ASAT, Valley Arts Brent Mason, Fender 52 RI Telecaster, and my latest is a new Suhr Classic Antique Strat. I was really excited about getting the Suhr with the baked maple neck. It does have a great feel to the back of the neck and it sounds great. Comparing all of them though, the Tom Anderson guitars are the best I own. His fretwork, finish and attention to detail are incredible.

Makes sense, the Anderson guitars are rediculous. I've played about 200 of 'em, 4 suhr and probably 60-80 PRS (worked for a dealer for many years). I was always curious if the used Suhr I played were not maintained well and if the new from factory Suhr was comparable to the Anderson necks.

That has been my experience too.

I had no idea about that change from the compound radius neck profile. That alone may prevent me from ever buying a new Parker as I've always found their necks to be amazingly comfortable and quick playing.

I was very serious about getting into a new Parker once the Maxx Fly (DragonFly) body shaped was released. But coinciding with that release was a factory move causing production delays, and then more than a few reports on the Parker forums of a serious decline in quality control. Really scared me off.

I'm keeping my eyes open for various Music Man guitars now.

Last edited:
That's really interesting. Did you buy the Suhr new? I hear they're just like Andersons and I find Anderson to have a slight playability edge over PRS. I don't have a Suhr dealer near me and played a few used dogs that had been abused. I'm interested in trying one that's been well kept but the comment that they don't play as smooth as PRS is surprising.

I just received a new Suhr Classic Antique and was really excited about finally getting one. It is a great guitar and sounds awesome, so no complaints as compared to a bunch of other guitars. I have just always heard that Suhr used a plek machine and the frets and craftsmanship were second to none. Maybe I had the bar set too high unfairly but I was a little disappointed because one of the frets was high from the factory. It buzzed some and the action was higher than it should have been. It was also not strobed well when I got it. I never had this issue with any of the three Tom Anderson's I have. To give the benefit of the doubt, my Suhr may have been one in million with issues so YMMV. I got a tech to fix it and it plays great now but for the money I just think it should have been correct from Suhr.

I have a Parker Fly Deluxe from 2006 which I love. It has the compound radius fingerboard, Dimarzio pups and a piezo.

I've played custom 24s and 22s, and I thought they were ok, but not worth the money (which was ridiculous in Ireland at the time).

However, I am gassing for a PRS 513, but it's a little hard to justify €4000 for it. FWIW, I got my Parker second hand.

On that note, PRSs seem to have better resale value than Parkers, which are seen as a niche guitar and tend to be divisive. More people love PRSs than Parkers so you'll get a better resale percentage if it doesn't work out.

I love Parkers and PRS, but I nearly always pick up one of my Musicman guitars so I guess that says something.
Funny. My guitar depth chart is dominated by Parker, EBMM, and PRS. Right now, Parker holds my top spots but they all have their own virtues.

While it's good to get opinions about what guitars to check out and what their strengths and relative weaknesses are, at the end of the day, it's such a personal decision that it should come down to playing examples of each and deciding what works for you. In addition to your sonic tastes and hand geometry, some other variables include your left hand touch, picking mechanics and how you prefer to sling the guitar (high, low, off to the side, etc.). All will affect how you might feel about a particular guitar design.

Never considered a Parker they look like a new wave players guitar or something. Interesting comments about Suhr. I have 2 and they arrived flawless and blow away the PRS, EVH, Charvel, Fender, Jackson I have owned. The Ton anderson's i have played are pretty sterile and well......not too pleasing to the eyes, they will always be chasing all that John Suhr is put
ting out there.

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom