Volume compensation between single-coil and humbuckers

djidoe

Inspired
Hi guys,

How to you compensate the volume loss when switching between single-coils and humbuckers in the same preset ?

Let me explain a little, in a song I'm using single-coil and humbuckers in the same preset using a clean amp with no hi-gain. The problem is there is a lot of volume difference when I'm using humbuckers vs single-coils.

I know you will probably say : Use a compressor...but I don't find the way to set it up properly.

Any other tricks or way to set the compressor ?

Thanks

You could adjust the input in the amp block (using a controller and/or scenes). Or, you could use some block in front to boost when your use single coils (or cut for humbuckers). If you don't want any other coloration like the the compressor might give you, use a null Filter block.

When I'm using a super strat, I usually roll back the volume for the bridge pickup and play lighter so when I switch to the single coils its not so radical.

Or use a volume pedal (set to control volume at the end of the preset chain).

Thanx I'll try all of these options.

Somewhat off topic: My strat has two volume knobs... a 250k for the singles and a 500k for the HB. Means I can also set the levels independently and balance them up a bit. The tone knob only effects the singles.

Match the pickups better in your guitars could help maybe.
I usually set my hotter bridge HB's farther from the strings to help balance with the singlecoils.

whats your main sound, with humbuckers or with single...how do u set your amp tone, which pickup...

than you should decide if the second pick up give you the desired amp input level and tone....if yes than you should compensate after the amp block, if not before the amp block.
and your options are endless...another block just to set the signal level...or IAs for amp parameters or in any fx block you use you might attach an IA

Turn the guitar volume knob down a bit for humbuckers, and back up when you switch to single coils.

Can you adjust the heights of your pickups for a better volume balance? The issue is the guitar, not the AxeFX.

Can you adjust the heights of your pickups for a better volume balance? The issue is the guitar, not the AxeFX.

Mmh..too high makes a guitar unplayable. For example: I have an old Ibanez 2355 (ES175 type) hollowbody guitar from mid 70s - brillant guitar, very good condition and feel. It features two "Super 70s" Humbucker, awesome tone - but not much output. So I use a little booster to catch up the signal. If I adjust the heights of the PUs, the Pick touches the PUs while playing - which is pretty much annoying.....

suggestion: pop a filter block in front of the amp
assign an IA to it so you can manually switch it on/off

I guess this would be like having a lil' boost stomp in front of a real amp so you can add some spuds to the signal when you switch to a s/c guitar

Hi guys,

How to you compensate the volume loss when switching between single-coils and humbuckers in the same preset ?

Let me explain a little, in a song I'm using single-coil and humbuckers in the same preset using a clean amp with no hi-gain. The problem is there is a lot of volume difference when I'm using humbuckers vs single-coils.

I know you will probably say : Use a compressor...but I don't find the way to set it up properly.

Thanks

Isn't that what the Global Amp Gain parameter is for?

Hi guys,

Thanks

Buy this cheap pedal and set the volume to compensate, then just turn on or off as you change between guitars, BOSS GE-7

I used an RC Booster at one point when switching between a tele and 335 into a one amp rig. Set the rig up based on the tele and then shaped the sound a bit with the RC pedal when using the Les Paul. In the Axe, I create unique presets specific to the guitar being used. I label them accordingly.. do the same for presets I use when playing through headphones at night, etc.

Back
Top Bottom