Announcing Axe-Fx II XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
My AxeFX II looks so puny now, but I'm still not asking questions like "When I plug into it, will I turn into a giant that can fly and shoot laser beams from my forearms, like Ultraman?"

But extra memory sounds cool. I'm just going to have to play better until I can get one.

Regarding the improved low noise input -
1) How much lower?
2) Has the noise floor on the Axe II been an issue?

(I'm on the Axe II waiting list at this time, so it's kinda important to know.)

1. I don't have any numbers. Not a huge difference.
2. No.

since the encoder is changing, would you consider a change to the knob part, maybe a bit flatter, not as easy to be broken or knocked off? probably not a huge problem, but it is a constant worry for me.

maybe something like the VoiceLive Rack

voiceliverack.jpg

Will older Axe-Fx IIs be able to load XL presets shared on Axe-Change by ignoring the extra information in the presets or will they be incompatible?

Will older Axe-Fx IIs be able to load XL presets shared on Axe-Change by ignoring the extra information in the presets or will they be incompatible?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/news/80877-announcing-axe-fx-ii-xl-2.html#post982144

1. Each preset holds twice as much data. This allows more complicated presets that contain more parameters. Since each block that has X/Y capability has twice the parameters than if it didn't have X/Y this allows for more blocks with X/Y capability. So I've added X/Y to the Parametric EQ, Graphic EQ and Pan/Tremolo. This also allows for more instances of effects, like Drive blocks. It also leaves room for future expansion.

2. The DSP and modeling are identical. Firmware shares the same code base so firmware updates apply to both equally.

Yes, a cool upgrade but for us living in Ontario theres a 13percent tax plus shipping.... I figure, if I was to try and make an attempt at upgrading and give fractal my money it would cost me $1200. Sell mine for $2000, then buy the new one at $2700 + tax and shipping =
$3200. Wouldnt be fiscally responsible. Could buy a decent guitar for that. Great upgrade for Metallica though. They could build some really complex presets for the next album.... ;) My guess is that this new XL may sell mostly to the new or first time Axe FX buyer, or maybe an Ultra guy finally ready to bite the bullet and upgrade.

Last edited:

Thanks I saw that but my question was is this extra information (twice as much data) stored in an extension of the original Ax-Fx II preset and would that extension just be ignored in an older Axe-Fx II or is the entire format of the preset now incompatible with the older IIs since it's larger? I'm assuming it's the latter but I was thinking something like if the current presets were 32bits and the new ones are 64bits, the older Axe-Fx IIs would just read the first 32 bits (which would "mimic" the original Axe-Fx II presets) and then Cliff could store all of the "extra" information in the second 32bits (which only the XL could use). Maybe I'm not explaining it clearly.

Thanks I saw that but my question was is this extra information (twice as much data) stored in an extension of the original Ax-Fx II preset and would that extension just be ignored in an older Axe-Fx II or is the entire format of the preset now incompatible with the older IIs since it's larger? I'm assuming it's the latter but I was thinking something like if the current presets were 32bits and the new ones are 64bits, the older Axe-Fx IIs would just read the first 32 bits (which would "mimic" the original Axe-Fx II presets) and then Cliff could store all of the "extra" information in the second 32bits (which only the XL could use). Maybe I'm not explaining it clearly.

The original announcement post stated this: "Backward compatibility with Axe-Fx II Mark I/II presets via Axe-Edit software."

Having 512 free slots for IRs is something I have been enjoying for some months now with the Torpedo CAB, you guys will love to have that much slots, it's the only was IMO you can really hear the little differences between huge library's like Red Wirez.

the dedicated MIDI is cool to. One thing I'm thinking is that with more memory as Cliff said we will have the choice of more effects blocks, but we still have the same DSP power, so.... its a bit of an issue if you have much freedom with FXs, we will reach the DSP limit more quickly.... at least it's what I'm interpreting, correct me if I'm wrong.

i got kinda excited when i saw this but also nervous because i don't have the cash for a new one, and then i got excited again when i read about it and realized that my basic needs don't involve anything that's being upgraded. still very cool for the people that will benefit from it though!

...One thing I'm thinking is that with more memory as Cliff said we will have the choice of more effects blocks, but we still have the same DSP power, so.... its a bit of an issue if you have much freedom with FXs, we will reach the DSP limit more quickly.... at least it's what I'm interpreting, correct me if I'm wrong.

Good point. I'm almost maxing the CPU out now so maybe I won't be able to take advantage of the extra preset size. Unless the extra memory eases the strain on the CPU.

That is backwards compatibility, not forwards. The XL can handle the I & II's presets. No way will the I & II's handle the XL's presets.

Yep, you're correct, I'm off tonight. However, it could be possible, I'm a software engineer and we deal with this kind of stuff with just about every release. It depends on how it is coded, although I'm assuming they would have mentioned it if it was possible.

Great feature updates on the XL. Thanks Fractal team for the continued improvements. I appreciate it. Sounds like the XL could be the new primary and my existing Axe II could be the backup rig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom