Metallica GRAMMYs Taylor Swift

Not too impressed with Metallica. Their sound seemed dry and could have done without the piano.

I thought the intro guitar tone was spot on with the album......and then it was ruined by Kirk hammet playing every solo with too much bending or something. Every solo that guy does sounds like he's out of tune. I'm sorry, I want to like him, but he plays like 90% of the kids in guitar center. (Flame suit on)

And I agree, the piano just sounded out of place. Sometimes things don't mix.....

Metallica and Symphony. Metallica and Lou Reed. Metallica and Lang Lang. Metallica unplugged. Growing very tired of it... Rather watch a scratchy distorted 1986 MoP tour bootleg where the camera is pointed into the ground 50 percent of the time.*

You know what I like about Metallica? They still do whatever the F**k they want since day one. :applause:

Seriously though, why are you watching, listening, and even posting about it if you are so tired of it?

Well call me a fanboy, I thought it was F**'n AWESOME. As for the tone, just watched the you-tube HD version through my atomic CLR wedges for audio. They nailed the guitar tones so perfectly. Great Job!

Lang lang was a very cool guy and is the UN's International Ambassador for Peace.
His life story is pretty dramatic. You should check it out.

I think in context, this may have been a career move... a way of attaching something to him other than classical piano.

I actually thought Bob Ezrin's arrangement was really cool (but then, I was also in the room when it was debuted, and energy was up.) Creating such a work of music for this ensemble would indeed be a challenge. Who better!?

Metallica have been fantastic to work with. Very gracious. Their crew is non-stop awesome.

Lang lang was a very cool guy and is the UN's International Ambassador for Peace.
His life story is pretty dramatic. You should check it out.

I think in context, this may have been a career move... a way of attaching something to him other than classical piano.

I actually thought Bob Ezrin's arrangement was really cool (but then, I was also in the room when it was debuted, and energy was up.) Creating such a work of music for this ensemble would indeed be a challenge. Who better!?

Metallica have been fantastic to work with. Very gracious. Their crew is non-stop awesome.

You guys did a great job m@, guitars sounded awesome.

Listened to it again on YouTube HD. In retrospect the tones are pretty good, the piano was godawful and ruined the performance, it sounded like a bad jazz mashup during the main solo chaos.

Why were they speeding up so much?

I think they sound okay. The piano seems a little out of place, but they're not afraid of experimenting with additional instrumentation.

I'm hopeful they will start using their Axe FXssssssssssss (20 or so) in the studio, and then regularly live.

I liked it! I loved the tones, and holy shit, that guy can play those keys!!!

Kirks playing though.... Something I tell all my students is that you've gotta watch the slow notes, the fast ones will look after themselves. The intro solos.... ugh. Now don't get me wrong, I cut my lead guitar teeth on his solos. I LOVED Unforgiven, The God That Failed, One, Fade To Black.... they're masterpieces, and I would be proud to write a solo that complimentary, but just..... please, clean up the playing and lose the vibrato, because the guitar was in tune. The vibrato was far too wide with an ambiguous note on the downward curve. It works sometimes, like on The Outlaw Torn, but not on a slow emotional intro solo.

Not bashing Metallica, btw. 90% of the crap they get is because they're Metallica, and if a no name band had brought out an album of the calibre of their "bad" albums they'd be applauded.

Plus, I think it's cool that James now looks like Tintin! :D

Why were they speeding up so much?

I think they sound okay. The piano seems a little out of place, but they're not afraid of experimenting with additional instrumentation.

They were speeding up because of Lars. Been this way since day one. And GOOD LORD that hi-hat mic was cranked to Hell and back. I did love the guitar tones when I could hear them though.

I see NiN is playing too... That would be a 3rd if Robin is with them. He's changed to an all-Fractal rig.

No, he hasn't.

"Every Nails tour I’ve done, there’s been a different rig built. This one we’re doing now (the Tension 2013 tour) there’s no audio on the stage; it’s just a midi-switcher. In the rack offstage is a Kemper Profiler and that’s basically my amp source. I’ve got three drawers of pedals that live in the RJM switching system."

Wife & I saw Lang Lang at solo concert a few years back.
One of the most incredible performances I've ever witnessed live - no joke.
Lang Lang is the goods.

Tonight's creative match up with Metallica missed the mark.
I was horrified at the results. But I may be biased. I didn't enjoy the S&M recordings either.
I like my Metallica straight up, not watered down or mixed with anything - especially piano.
As you were...

If I could I would like this post 2000 times!!! THANK YOU!!!:ugeek
I was kidding about that last thing, of course. Mostly.
It's just a nuisance that some video's are unavailable to the non-USA IP adresses...

Found this one: Metallica & Lang Lang - One (Live Grammys 2014) HD - YouTube
At 0:39 the translater stops shouting.
It's another live mix off course, hardly optimal, but reasonably good under the circumstances. I liked the 1989 performance better, soundwise. Maybe that's been mixed and mastered since.

This one for Taylor Swift. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckp_0wVKA8o
Don't know much about her.

Nice performance. Beautiful voice, she gets ragged on a lot but it appears she really can sing very well and play piano along with it. Very pretty face. Has the Rockstar-hair-throwing-head-banging-ish thing down very well. Funny how someone made sure her dress was laid out perfectly on the stage.

Band was bigger than necessary, couldn't hear two out of three electrics and wouldn't know what they could have added to the song anyway. But I guess that's the Country way to have as many guitarists on stage as you can find. ;D Same for three out of five backing singers, BTW.

Didn't really care for the song much. At the end I was like:"Is there going to be some chord change other than these four?" There's a Youtube with a zillion songs with the same chords. I think this is the zillion +1. All of the song. The whole song. At least most songs have some diversion somewhere.

Anyway. Will probably make her a lot of money. Which I won't make with my songs, 'cause, I'm not really the writing type, which is cool, but still, I'll best shut up now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom