Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

4. Select Scene 2 for Source
hi, if you select scene 2 as your source, you are actually selecting scene controller 2.
check the scene tab under controls to see if your controller 2 is set to 100%.
if you are trying to get different feedback levels for different scenes, you should be using the same controller, not different controller I would have assumed.
no access to my unit so can't help further..
hope someone can chip in.

Love this new Beta I had some problems with a few of my lead patches that when I would get up around the 17th through the 22nd fret my notes would "disappear" or be much lower and thinner than all other notes and this was on a few different models, now they are magically there plus some. This same problem is what made me go from Line 6 to Fractal so needless to say I was a little worried before this update. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FIX!!!

I upgraded from 12.03 GA, and have tried resetting the block as well as changing the feedback parameters. Can you give me a specific example of what I should be doing? Even if I delete the block and recreate it, it still exhibits the same behavior. Furthermore, I can create a brand new patch, and simply add a delay to cause this behavior. Am I alone in being able to reproduce this phenomenon? If that's the case, it sucks to be me, I guess.

Here's EXACTLY what I'm doing to reproduce this issue, nothing more, nothing less:

1. Create a brand new patch with nothing but shunts and a Delay block.
2. Set delay to Vintage Digital
3. Click the right Page button then highlight Feedback and click Enter
4. Select Scene 2 for Source

Strum a chord.

As for the MFC, no, I hadn't updated my firmware. Thanks, I'll try that.

UPDATE: Reading the release notes on the MFC firmware, it sounds like it adds a couple of new features, but since I haven't updated I should not be affected adversely.

are you trying to use a Scene Controller? that is different than a Scene.

check out my Scene Controller video if you're not sure:

Scene Controllers in the Axe-FX II – Basics : Katsu Kuri Media Blog

you are probably getting 100% feedback because the controller you chose is set to 100% (step 4).

After playing with the beta last night, specifically the AC30 for some time I can confirm the sometimes shrill, ice-pickyness that could be apparent on higher notes, especially with single coils, has gone, replaced by pleasing rounded spank!

Great job Fractal!

Let`s go for 14 ;)

After all.. it is 2014

In China, 4 is unlucky number (pronounced similar to "death") also 14 since if you pronounce the "1" and "4" it will be like "yao" "si" = want die/death.

so in China there are no floors 4, 14, 24 etc... sometimes the 13 is left out too...

15? ;)

All right, after all this praise for 12.04b I'd say it's time you told us that you didn't make any changes compared to 12.03, Cliff! :) :) :)

Man, I was afraid of that!! He's figured out a way to control our perception!!!!
Oh well, either way ,This update friggin ROCKS!!! I'm amazed!!!!

I really have to test this release on my monitor (Adam A7X) because until today and at "bedroom" level, I found the sound very harsh and not as good as with the headphones.

Hi!
I've just been playing around with the new firmware and I quite like it!
Though i have a question: the tubes in the Diezel herbert are kt66, i own a herbert for nearly 10 years now, had it recently retubed by peter himself, he told me that they use only el34 these days, i was wondering if the modeled herb was fitted with kt66 and thus always sounded a nuance different than mine? also,with the new firmware, i switched to el34 and expected a minor difference, but the difference in vol was quite noticable, is that normal behavior?
thanks for the incredible work!

chris

Man, I was afraid of that!! He's figured out a way to control our perception!!!!
Oh well, either way ,This update friggin ROCKS!!! I'm amazed!!!!

If this is all about mind control….BRING IT ON!!…I'm loving it!
Uh..don't…stop…uh...

Ran one of my JVM patches that I run W/D/W into my JSX -recto 2X12 last night and I actually liked it better than the JSX as a stand alone amp.
tI sounded thicker and "rounder" than before (this is one of my go-to patches) so I'm very aware of any changes when I use it.
but I also found some of my Recto patches were suddenly a little 'boomy" going to need to "touch those up a bit" :)

Ran one of my JVM patches that I run W/D/W into my JSX -recto 2X12 last night and I actually liked it better than the JSX as a stand alone amp.
tI sounded thicker and "rounder" than before (this is one of my go-to patches) so I'm very aware of any changes when I use it.
but I also found some of my Recto patches were suddenly a little 'boomy" going to need to "touch those up a bit" :)

Good to hear Nick, because that Jsx sounded fat as hell when we tried it at your place.
I'm in cancun, so won't be able to touch 12.4 until Sunday.
enjoy the snow today buddy.... :)

I feel this is a pretty substantial advancement in the amp modeling engine so I've decided to share this. Please read the release notes carefully.

Things to note:
1. Higher Master Volume settings are possible now with less flub and smoother highs.
2. Improved attack and feel.
3. No woofy lows or ice-picky highs at high volumes.
4. The frequency response is dynamic which leads to a more "3-dimensional" sound.
5. To really hear and feel the effects turn up the MV and LF Res. Don't be afraid to turn LF Res close to 10. In fact some Celestion and Eminence speakers are equivalent to about 8-9 on the LF Res. This will increase the interaction between the power tubes and the speaker load.

6. Also, to "really" hear and feel it, crank it up LOUD.

Download here:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/beta/axefx2_12p04beta.zip

Well, those improvements reminds me to my 1:1 comparison thread a bit.

So, what i`ve done first was a A/B comparison 12.03 vs. 12.04beta: Recorded a track with 12.03 (processed & DI unprocessed via USB), made the FW update to 12.04beta, reset the Amp Block , change the settings to what it was before (Friedman BE, Master to 7,5, Lo res to 9) and reamp the DI Signal. A/B that via headphones. The differences I hear where very subtle to me, did not hear any "dimensional" differences, just a bit tighter low end. So i asekd myself: What did the guys all hear? Almost Placebo?

Secondly i repeat my A/B with the Koch (Clean channel TMA`ed to AC30 Sim + Matrix GT1000 (Master 10, Input Trim 0.500, Gain 1.00, Speaker Tab to the suggestion from Cliff), and A/B that through my Guitar Cabinet.

Damn! What was this? No higher Lo res settings where needed like with FW12.03beta something - sound and feel (call it 3d or call it chip ...) was almost identical,at least very, very similiar. hmmm, can i trust my ears? What? So, i tried some Amp Sims from the Axe II without Tonematching them (what i have always just done for better comparison reasons!), a bit Fender, a bit Hot rodded Marshalls, Shiva Clean, Soldano ... etc ... and Plug always as fast as i could beetween my actual Amp and the Axe-Fx+Matrix Gt1000 (always to the same guitar Cabinet)....

Of course now the Amp-Sims sounds always different to the Koch, i tweaked (sometimes) here and there the Spekar Tabs Lo Res Freq. to taste ... but nothing more.
Wow. What i really don`t miss anymore was this "sticking" at the speaker sound from the Axe, what i heard or imagine before always ... It sounded right - right out of the Box! Difficult to describe!

So, the general missing "3d link" i imagine, when playing Axe-Fx through a real guitar cabinet is gone, at least so much less, that it really does not make THE difference. I am very satisfied! Wow! The "Amp in the room with real guitar cabinet"-thing was always the last issue, where i was not completely satisfied in the past. Now - this IS past! I am satisfied now - totally ;)

I read all kinds of theories from guitar players on what they think they are hearing and yet what they really are hearing is simply a frequency response difference.

Well, anyhow ... as i wrote before in the 1:1 - thread, i could tweak the SPKR page to satisfaction, when it comes to the "dimensional" issue. I had have to increase the Lo res nearly to maximum at this point.

Right now, i get equal or better results with different Amp-Sims out of the Box (partially just a bit conform the Lo Freq for my guitar cabinet).

So, all i can say: There is something happened to the Amp-Sims ... and i imagine, that the "highs" are now also much better controlable. The whole thing feels and sounds quite right now to me!

Well done, Sir.

Last edited:
Quick observation - I noticed that patches I previously stored on the unit have their "y" cab speaker size changed to 0.250 when "y" is selected. After upgrading to this firmware, I ran the "update all presets utility". Creating a new preset from scratch doesn't make the "y" cab speaker size set to 0.250 by default. Not sure if this is a bug and/or replicable. I will try to reload a patch from disk backup to the unit to see if this "y" cab speaker size anomaly happens as well.

Thanks,
Dave Z

Back
Top Bottom