Should I get a Liquid Foot?

I started with the Liquid Foot Pro, now have an LF+ Pro+ (the second '+' means the model with the LCD screens.

Switches are quieter than MFC by far, though still not as quiet as I'd like. The screens mean no more silly stomp labels. It has a most excellent Win/Mac editor, which is updated at the same time firmware changes are made. But the real thing is its incredible power. I know of no other foot controller that allows you to do so many cool things with a single button! It's SO damn powerful, that there's a bit of a learning curve - figuring out the best configuration for yourself, and then implementing it. I am still in the midst of that process, but I did have an LF+ 12+ before, so I know how cool this generation is (though the switches on this new revision are quieter).

I don't see anything that can touch it for power and flxibility.

Oh, and Jeff's very responsive to user requests. At least two of mine are in the FW and the editor. They were implemented virtually overnight - even though one 'scroll on update' it used to be called, not sure what he calls it now because I'm still in the mapping, not implementing stage) was pretty complex (to me, anyway). Next day: done.

Oh, and now there are auto-configure wizards that make basic setup to your Axe MUCH easier than when I got my first Liquid Foot!

Only weakness: to me, and others, the manuals and videos are not good enough. They're all done by Jeff, who knows this thing forwards and backwards. Better to have a technical writer who thinks like us dumb users do it.

Would you mind explaining the concepts of pages vs songs/playlists?

Would you mind explaining the concepts of pages vs songs/playlists?

Pages are for IAs. Say you're an improvisational musician, like I am - you don't have set effects and songs put into sets. What you want is to see all of the effects you may want to use. And the number of effects I want at my toe-tips vastly exceeds the number of buttons, even on the pro+. The LF supports 'pages' of IA switches (think a virtual pedalboard with, oh, sixty switches), and you can page back and forth to see them all. And the fact that you have the nice LCD screens over every switch, as you page, you see the effects change. I put my most-used FX on page one, less used on page 2, and I think I'll be mapping out to a 3rd, possibly 4th page by the time I'm done.

SO: Patches can be combined in sequence into 'songs' (verse/chorus tone vs. lead vs. maybe a bridge or breakdown), songs can be combined into sets. But Pages does not refer to that. It refers to what effects in your patches are visible, and where, on the unit, and the ability to page through more effects if your patch is complex, or if you, like me, don't always know what effect you want to turn on and off (I am building a ginormous patch with many effects. Most will default to off, but I'll have the ability to control each separately (well, not their order, but their on/off state).

Hope that helps.

My LF+Jr+ is giving me fits right now. I dove in this weekend all gung ho for (round 2 of) trying to come up with a new workflow but I spent two days of frustration trying things that didn't work, having the pedal act weird, trying to get help via the forum, etc.. That has flowed into the work week now and still no answers. I'm considered by others to be a very technical guy, but this LF stumps me. I'm really happy for Rodney's track record with support, but it's hard to hear someone gets 30 min answers at midnight when you've spent days with no answers.

For what it's worth- everyone who puts in a trouble-ticket via the FAMC website always gets an answer. No trouble tickets go unanswered. Forum is another story of course as it relates to timing. Jeff did create a fairly capable controller, but its really not all that hard to use once you get the basics down. Send your programming with a statement of your issue(s) to info@famcmusic.com. Better yet, create a trouble ticket. They are tracked, and you can track them as well.

Hope that helps. Anyone who hasn't received a quick response to communication isn't using the available Trouble-Ticket or order entry system.

I considered a LF a few years back but it was around the time there were a ton of people complaining about support, and also sales as in no responses to email and so on. In the long run ended up with a MFC and thats pretty much all I need with my current configuration. The LF is a great switch but with Jeff just flaking out for a while that just pushed me away.

In the next few weeks my friend is getting a Mastermind GT 16 (RJM) so I am looking forward to playing with it a bit.

John

My LF+Jr+ is giving me fits right now. I dove in this weekend all gung ho for (round 2 of) trying to come up with a new workflow but I spent two days of frustration trying things that didn't work, having the pedal act weird, trying to get help via the forum, etc.. That has flowed into the work week now and still no answers. I'm considered by others to be a very technical guy, but this LF stumps me. I'm really happy for Rodney's track record with support, but it's hard to hear someone gets 30 min answers at midnight when you've spent days with no answers. Rodney has put more effort into responding to my posts on the FAMC forum than FAMC has. I welcome you getting a LF+. Maybe I'll learn how to make this thing work for me.

FWIW, my use case is very different from Rodney's. In his rig the LF is the brains of the operation and it communicates to many pieces of gear like you're looking to do. I'm AxeFxII only in my rig. I love the promise of what the LF can be in an AxeFx only (or any other) rig, I just can't make it work, LOL! I'm not a fan of the MFC-101. I much prefer the small size and the power of pages with the button functions changing with context. Maybe someday I'll get it all worked out. It won't be for a lack of trying that's for sure.

LOL! I hear your frustrations! This is eerily reminiscent of what I went through when I first got it!

Im the sort of person who HATES spending time tweaking any sort of "peripherals" when it comes to gear, as it eats into my playing time so if I don't have something fully functioning within say 1/2 hour, then the product is crap! Unfortunately, you need to spend some time with this unit, but the end result is worth it.

As many have stated, the biggest issue is a lack of well written documentation with worked examples. Every firmware upgrade has numerous features and refinements that MAY be of benefit however, you wouldnt know as the descriptions are meaningless to anyone but the intended recipient. Polymath nails it when he says that documentation needs to be written by a 3rd party. A major point of confusion during the initial programming phase was whether errors were a result of my lack of understanding or software bugs. Sometimes they were a bit of both.

In saying all that, we users somehow prevail! Like you, I only have the Axe FX to control so I'm happy to offer any help as needed as are any of the others, here. In a lot of cases, users require a step by step guide to achieve a particular target as opposed to a sweeping generic response as it gives a working example on which to expand on.

My LF+Jr+ is giving me fits right now. I dove in this weekend all gung ho for (round 2 of) trying to come up with a new workflow but I spent two days of frustration trying things that didn't work, having the pedal act weird, trying to get help via the forum, etc.. That has flowed into the work week now and still no answers. I'm considered by others to be a very technical guy, but this LF stumps me. I'm really happy for Rodney's track record with support, but it's hard to hear someone gets 30 min answers at midnight when you've spent days with no answers. Rodney has put more effort into responding to my posts on the FAMC forum than FAMC has. I welcome you getting a LF+. Maybe I'll learn how to make this thing work for me.

FWIW, my use case is very different from Rodney's. In his rig the LF is the brains of the operation and it communicates to many pieces of gear like you're looking to do. I'm AxeFxII only in my rig. I love the promise of what the LF can be in an AxeFx only (or any other) rig, I just can't make it work, LOL! I'm not a fan of the MFC-101. I much prefer the small size and the power of pages with the button functions changing with context. Maybe someday I'll get it all worked out. It won't be for a lack of trying that's for sure.
I did get quick responses directly from Jeff when I posted on the FAMC forum, but otherwise your post mirrors mine. I've jumped in a a few times only to come up with nothing working as hoped. I work in IT as a program director and most consider me a very technical guy, but I still get stumped by my Jr+. Mostly because the editor is undocumented. I click things having no idea what they do only to get frustrated when I make little or no progress. I'm pretty sure the product can do what I want, but I'm not sure how to get there.

As much as I wanted to go with a LF+, these are some of the issues I was concerned about. I tested the response time via their new ticket system and I must say that I had always gotten a reply within 30 min. BUT... This issue of documentation and such really concerned me. I never used my Rocktron All Access to its full potential because of my lack of midi knowledge and I have been struggling enough learning my AFX, so to add another piece of impossible to learn gear to the mix just wasn't an option.

With that, I chose to go with the new RJM MMGT16 and know that Ron will take the time to truly walk ya through any issues you may be faced with and tends to talk on a more "normal" level, realizing that I'm not some elec. engineer.

If Jeff eventually gets that 3rd party to write up a detailed manual and produce some great vids that mortals can understand, I may try an LF+ for a more compact pedalboard in the future. Till then I'll try to enjoy my RJM and continue expanding my brain on the AFX.

If anyone is having trouble - ask for help and if the answer is not clear, ask for clarification. I can also say that I threatened to return my LF+12 in the first 10 days, and wanted to cry, because of all the points that have been mentioned here earlier. But after it "clicked" in my brain, I started running and never looked back. Got special features added that were important to me, which I use daily, and ignore the other commands that were probably added by user request too, as the product developed. Just like the Axe FX - hundreds of options, but a few that I use repeatedly. I control 5 pieces of MIDI gear, and this is the only affordable option. In addition to being affordable, I think it out performs other products that are out there. Yes, it takes time and careful planning, but in my case, I can actually listen to a song and then break it down into effects changes and then create liquid foot presets that make the effects changes, and scene commands to change the Axe, for scene volume control. I can do that offline, and then upload it to the LF when connected. I can then go through the presets, and have Axe-Edit open, to make sure the right effects and x/y states are triggering, and then program the amps, cabs, and effects. After I've cycled through each LF preset and changed the scenes, I'm ready to hit save in Axe-Edit and save that preset permanently.

I could then go back into the LF and turn off the IA sending, since the Axe has the moves programmed into the scenes, but I don't do that.

Post your questions if you are having trouble and perhaps we can help each other.

Pages are for IAs. Say you're an improvisational musician, like I am - you don't have set effects and songs put into sets. What you want is to see all of the effects you may want to use. And the number of effects I want at my toe-tips vastly exceeds the number of buttons, even on the pro+. The LF supports 'pages' of IA switches (think a virtual pedalboard with, oh, sixty switches), and you can page back and forth to see them all. And the fact that you have the nice LCD screens over every switch, as you page, you see the effects change. I put my most-used FX on page one, less used on page 2, and I think I'll be mapping out to a 3rd, possibly 4th page by the time I'm done.

SO: Patches can be combined in sequence into 'songs' (verse/chorus tone vs. lead vs. maybe a bridge or breakdown), songs can be combined into sets. But Pages does not refer to that. It refers to what effects in your patches are visible, and where, on the unit, and the ability to page through more effects if your patch is complex, or if you, like me, don't always know what effect you want to turn on and off (I am building a ginormous patch with many effects. Most will default to off, but I'll have the ability to control each separately (well, not their order, but their on/off state).

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the detailed explanation! So if I understood you correctly, when running in "setlist" mode with songs, which is what I would probably want to use mostly when playing along with the songs I play, I can not step through the different pages or use anything with the pages functionality?

Thank you for the detailed explanation! So if I understood you correctly, when running in "setlist" mode with songs, which is what I would probably want to use mostly when playing along with the songs I play, I can not step through the different pages or use anything with the pages functionality?

NO! You can use pages. The terminology might be getting you confused. A Page is a "PEDALBOARD BUTTON LAYOUT". So you can create a collection of liquid foot presets and then group them into a song of up to 24 presets if you needed to. Then create setlists of all of your songs.

But what pages allow, is for you to access more IA slots or more presets.

Let's say that you own an 8 button or 12 button pedal, but you want to have 15 presets in a song. You don't have enough buttons to have them all in plain view all the time. But you could create 3 pages, each with 5 preset buttons. Then stipulate that page 1 gives you presets 1-5, page two 6-10, page three 11-15.

Your liquid foot presets could be programmed to jump you to the next page, or your page itself could have a button that is for page jumping.

PAGES are "virtual pedal board configurations"

With a liquid foot, you could have a 2-button liquid foot. One button could be for page jumping, and the other button could be an IA slot for an effect. Let's say you had page one's IA was for distortion, page two was for chorus, page three was for delay, and you jumped between those three pages with your page jumping button, and you turned the distortion, chorus, and delay off and on with the other button. A lame example, but basically, you can have access to many more on/off's or presets, even though you only own an 8, 12, or 24 button Liquid Foot device.

If you don't want to use up a button on your pedalboard for page jumping, you can change pages by putting the 2nd page into preset 5. When you step on preset 5, preset 5's sounds are triggered, but you can't see preset 5 engaged anymore, because you told it to jump to page 2, where you've programmed preset 6-10. In preset 10, you have a page 3 command, so when you step on preset 10, you won't be able to see it active anymore, because you'll be on page 3, which contains presets 11-15. Personally, that would drive me totally insane. I'd want to be able to jump back and forth between all the 15 presets in my song. So, I'd have a page jump button somewhere on the page.

So the page jump button could be button 8. Page 1's page jump button would point to page 2. But on page 2's programming, button 8 would be a page jump pointing to page 3 (and maybe a page 1 jump to, on the 2nd function of that button). Page 3's button 8 would point to page 1. So you'd go round and round. If you wanted to be on page 3 and immediately go back to page 2 or page 1, you'd need to use 2 buttons, or make function 2 of button 8 a link to page 1. So if you are on page three and you step on button 8 once, it jumps backward to page 2, but if you hold it, it goes to page 1. You could also enable double tap, so you could double tap button 8 and return to page 1.

Last edited:
NO! You can use pages. The terminology might be getting you confused. A Page is a "PEDALBOARD BUTTON LAYOUT". So you can create a collection of liquid foot presets and then group them into a song of up to 24 presets if you needed to. Then create setlists of all of your songs.

But what pages allow, is for you to access more IA slots or more presets.

Let's say that you own an 8 button or 12 button pedal, but you want to have 15 presets in a song. You don't have enough buttons to have them all in plain view all the time. But you could create 3 pages, each with 5 preset buttons. Then stipulate that page 1 gives you presets 1-5, page two 6-10, page three 11-15.

Your liquid foot presets could be programmed to jump you to the next page, or your page itself could have a button that is for page jumping.

PAGES are "virtual pedal board configurations"

With a liquid foot, you could have a 2-button liquid foot. One button could be for page jumping, and the other button could be an IA slot for an effect. Let's say you had page one's IA was for distortion, page two was for chorus, page three was for delay, and you jumped between those three pages with your page jumping button, and you turned the distortion, chorus, and delay off and on with the other button. A lame example, but basically, you can have access to many more on/off's or presets, even though you only own an 8, 12, or 24 button Liquid Foot device.

If you don't want to use up a button on your pedalboard for page jumping, you can change pages by putting the 2nd page into preset 5. When you step on preset 5, preset 5's sounds are triggered, but you can't see preset 5 engaged anymore, because you told it to jump to page 2, where you've programmed preset 6-10. In preset 10, you have a page 3 command, so when you step on preset 10, you won't be able to see it active anymore, because you'll be on page 3, which contains presets 11-15. Personally, that would drive me totally insane. I'd want to be able to jump back and forth between all the 15 presets in my song. So, I'd have a page jump button somewhere on the page.

So the page jump button could be button 8. Page 1's page jump button would point to page 2. But on page 2's programming, button 8 would be a page jump pointing to page 3 (and maybe a page 1 jump to, on the 2nd function of that button). Page 3's button 8 would point to page 1. So you'd go round and round. If you wanted to be on page 3 and immediately go back to page 2 or page 1, you'd need to use 2 buttons, or make function 2 of button 8 a link to page 1. So if you are on page three and you step on button 8 once, it jumps backward to page 2, but if you hold it, it goes to page 1. You could also enable double tap, so you could double tap button 8 and return to page 1.

I understand how pages work *on their own*. I also understand how setlists work *on their own*, but what eludes me is how they work when using them together.
Perhaps it's easier if I give you an example of how I would ideally want the LF to work.

Also, for this example, let's use the LF+ JR+ since that is the one that I most likely would be getting. Since I need to be able to step through the songs, 2 of the buttons will be used for stepping up and down the setlist songs. That leaves 6 more physical buttons for me to use.

Let's say I create a setlist with 2 songs. Song #1 has 4 presets and 4 IA switches (used for effects) to turn off and on. Song #2, has 5 presets and 5 IA switches.
Since in both song #1 and #2, I use more than 6 physical buttons, I somehow need to incorporate pages into these 2 songs.

How would I set up those pages? Also, if pages can contain presets as well, what is the use of having setlists/songs?

Everything works together. Your configuration depends on meeting the demands of that song. For instance, you want 4 presets and 4 IA's on an 8 button pedal. You also want song up and song down buttons. That's 10 buttons. But you only have 8. So you need to jump between 2 pages. Personally, I left the presets/ia access mixture, and adopted the "create an LF preset that incorporates my IA on/off needs and also lets me assign it a scene change too".

So, for song 1, you have to decide how you plan to use the 4 presets and as you play the song, what order you are planning to step on them. I'd advise against putting yourself into situations where you're using all 8 buttons for presets and IA's and nothing available on the top level for song up/down. You can do it through programming, but what if you go into a song, and realize you're not in the right spot and you need to song up/down to change to another song.

My advice is designate a button that has song up on function 1, and song down on function two of the button. Let that button ALWAYS be the song (or context if you prefer) button on your pedalboard designs that have presets in them. If you take that approach, you'll have 7 buttons left. To make the pedal functional, I'd also say you'd want a button that is always tuner/tap if you are on a page that has presets. You'd have 6 buttons left.

If you want to make song 1 - 4 presets and 4 IA's and you always want to see your 4 IA's so you can add or subtract effects to the recalled preset, then you'd want multiple pages to have access to different presets.

There are different ways to do it, but you'd have to think through the song and determine "when I am in preset 1, what is the next preset I will need to go to?" When I am in preset 2, am I going back to preset 1, or am I going to preset 3 next? Then, in the song, when I'm done using preset 3, which preset will I need next? When I am in preset 4, which preset will I need next?

It could mean 3,4 or 5 pages just to navigate through one song. It could become complicated.

What if you just think through your Liquid Foot presets and make more of them that incorporated all the Instant access moves you intend to make for that song, and then put those presets into your song, and have a song up/down (or context), a tuner/tap button, and then 6 song presets?

And let me add, that you will have 4 expression pedal ports. You could use expression port 1 for a real expression pedal, and have 3 unused ports left. You could make 6 more buttons for those and use them for tuner, song up/down, etc. (functions that don't require you to see a light to know whether or not they are on or off)

Oh no, you most certainly CAN! You just need t assign the paging functions to different buttons than the song buttons. Actually, you don't even need to do that: a short tap on one can increment songs, a held press can increment pages, and the reverse ( decrementing)for another button - or reverse that so the long held increments songs, the short pages. I think you can probably even figure out a way to have one button just cycle through all pages, rather than separate increment/decrement.

Basically, if you can imagine it, you have a 98% chance that you can already do it, a 1.9% that Jeff will add the functionality, and a .1% chance you won't be able to. (void where prohibited: this offer does not include automated blowjobs and dishwashing).

How they work together: your band has an 8 song set. As you play through each song, you hit the 'song up' button to load the next preset. As you load each preset, page one of its effects display on the lcd screens above each button - you see all of your effects. Now, on song 5, you've got an incredibly complex preset with looper functions, multple multitaps, rotaries etc, and you need to control them all. So, when you increment up to song 5, you see your most-used effects for that song on page one - drive, delay, chorus, maybe you hit the page up button and you've got a looper-oriented page - suddenly the button-screens show a record button, play, stop, overdub etc. Then once you've got that loop going in the bridge, you page up to page 3 where you've got a 2nd amp and a Leslie and a multi-tap for a spacey lead. THOSE effects now show up on the screen over each button. And, each button can have two functions (tap, slower hold) - so maybe one turns the effect on and off, the other does something related or totally unrelated - turns on your tuner (you always go to this page after a dive-bomb solo), etc. etc. etc. Capiche?
I understand how pages work *on their own*. I also understand how setlists work *on their own*, but what eludes me is how they work when using them together.
Perhaps it's easier if I give you an example of how I would ideally want the LF to work.

Also, for this example, let's use the LF+ JR+ since that is the one that I most likely would be getting. Since I need to be able to step through the songs, 2 of the buttons will be used for stepping up and down the setlist songs. That leaves 6 more physical buttons for me to use.

Let's say I create a setlist with 2 songs. Song #1 has 4 presets and 4 IA switches (used for effects) to turn off and on. Song #2, has 5 presets and 5 IA switches.
Since in both song #1 and #2, I use more than 6 physical buttons, I somehow need to incorporate pages into these 2 songs.

How would I set up those pages? Also, if pages can contain presets as well, what is the use of having setlists/songs?

Everything works together. Your configuration depends on meeting the demands of that song. For instance, you want 4 presets and 4 IA's on an 8 button pedal. You also want song up and song down buttons. That's 10 buttons. But you only have 8. So you need to jump between 2 pages. Personally, I left the presets/ia access mixture, and adopted the "create an LF preset that incorporates my IA on/off needs and also lets me assign it a scene change too".

So, for song 1, you have to decide how you plan to use the 4 presets and as you play the song, what order you are planning to step on them. I'd advise against putting yourself into situations where you're using all 8 buttons for presets and IA's and nothing available on the top level for song up/down. You can do it through programming, but what if you go into a song, and realize you're not in the right spot and you need to song up/down to change to another song.

My advice is designate a button that has song up on function 1, and song down on function two of the button. Let that button ALWAYS be the song (or context if you prefer) button on your pedalboard designs that have presets in them. If you take that approach, you'll have 7 buttons left. To make the pedal functional, I'd also say you'd want a button that is always tuner/tap if you are on a page that has presets. You'd have 6 buttons left.

If you want to make song 1 - 4 presets and 4 IA's and you always want to see your 4 IA's so you can add or subtract effects to the recalled preset, then you'd want multiple pages to have access to different presets.

There are different ways to do it, but you'd have to think through the song and determine "when I am in preset 1, what is the next preset I will need to go to?" When I am in preset 2, am I going back to preset 1, or am I going to preset 3 next? Then, in the song, when I'm done using preset 3, which preset will I need next? When I am in preset 4, which preset will I need next?

It could mean 3,4 or 5 pages just to navigate through one song. It could become complicated.

What if you just think through your Liquid Foot presets and make more of them that incorporated all the Instant access moves you intend to make for that song, and then put those presets into your song, and have a song up/down (or context), a tuner/tap button, and then 6 song presets?

And let me add, that you will have 4 expression pedal ports. You could use expression port 1 for a real expression pedal, and have 3 unused ports left. You could make 6 more buttons for those and use them for tuner, song up/down, etc. (functions that don't require you to see a light to know whether or not they are on or off)

All good advices!

Oh no, you most certainly CAN! You just need t assign the paging functions to different buttons than the song buttons. Actually, you don't even need to do that: a short tap on one can increment songs, a held press can increment pages, and the reverse ( decrementing)for another button - or reverse that so the long held increments songs, the short pages. I think you can probably even figure out a way to have one button just cycle through all pages, rather than separate increment/decrement.

Basically, if you can imagine it, you have a 98% chance that you can already do it, a 1.9% that Jeff will add the functionality, and a .1% chance you won't be able to. (void where prohibited: this offer does not include automated blowjobs and dishwashing).

How they work together: your band has an 8 song set. As you play through each song, you hit the 'song up' button to load the next preset. As you load each preset, page one of its effects display on the lcd screens above each button - you see all of your effects. Now, on song 5, you've got an incredibly complex preset with looper functions, multple multitaps, rotaries etc, and you need to control them all. So, when you increment up to song 5, you see your most-used effects for that song on page one - drive, delay, chorus, maybe you hit the page up button and you've got a looper-oriented page - suddenly the button-screens show a record button, play, stop, overdub etc. Then once you've got that loop going in the bridge, you page up to page 3 where you've got a 2nd amp and a Leslie and a multi-tap for a spacey lead. THOSE effects now show up on the screen over each button. And, each button can have two functions (tap, slower hold) - so maybe one turns the effect on and off, the other does something related or totally unrelated - turns on your tuner (you always go to this page after a dive-bomb solo), etc. etc. etc. Capiche?

Okay so when I load a new song (and its presets), I'll start on page 1 for that song? Each song starts on page 1? That's nice!
So is this possible?

Song 1, page 1:
1 button for song up/down
1 button for page up/down
3 buttons for presets
3 buttons for IA switches

Song 1, page 2:
1 button for tuner
2 buttons for presets

Switching song up/down always defaults to that song's page #1.

Song 2, page 1:
3 buttons for presets

Basically song 1's and 2's page 1 are the same.

Song 2, page 2:
1 button for tuner
4 buttons for presets
1 button for IA switches

Page 2 of song 2 is not the same as the page 2 of song 1.

All of that is possible, yes? :) Sorry for being over-thorough, just want to make sure it works the way I want it to! And thanks once again for your detailed replies!

Yes, totally do-able. Well, I believe it is - might be good to send Jeff a note at FAMC music. But changing the NUMBER of presets on each song is a recipe for confusion to me. But yes, if you wanted to do it, I think you could
However, you could improve this. Each button can control two functions.

1) Have a dedicated button for tuner for all pages. You can probably use this for some other function too, menu entry or something. I'd advise tap tempo but Jeff specifically says that sharing tap tempo with tuner is not a great idea.

2) Have a SINGLE button that does song up if you click it and song down if you click and hold (if I remember correctly, the hold time is configurable too - depending on how fast you normally click - it's not hold forever - but a second or two - not like your foot is glued there for the duration).

4) Have a SINGLE button that does page up if you click it and page down if you click and hold.

5) Have a SINGLE button for preset up/down that will do a preset up with a short click and a preset down with a long click/hold

6) now ALL of the rest of your buttons are free for your EFFECTS IA switches, which means that you may have to page less and have all or at least your most important effects on page ONE, which is NICE! And best of all (a necessity for me!) is that you've got access to your tuner on all pages.

All good advices!

Okay so when I load a new song (and its presets), I'll start on page 1 for that song? Each song starts on page 1? That's nice!
So is this possible?

Song 1, page 1:
3 buttons for presets

Song 1, page 2:
1 button for tuner
2 buttons for presets

Switching song up/down always defaults to that song's page #1.

Song 2, page 1:
3 buttons for presets

Basically song 1's and 2's page 1 are the same.

Song 2, page 2:
1 button for tuner
4 buttons for presets
1 button for IA switches

Page 2 of song 2 is not the same as the page 2 of song 1.

All of that is possible, yes? :) Sorry for being over-thorough, just want to make sure it works the way I want it to! And thanks once again for your detailed replies!

Yes, totally do-able. Well, I believe it is - might be good to send Jeff a note at FAMC music. But changing the NUMBER of presets on each song is a recipe for confusion to me. But yes, if you wanted to do it, I think you could
However, you could improve this. Each button can control two functions.

1) Have a dedicated button for tuner for all pages. You can probably use this for some other function too, menu entry or something. I'd advise tap tempo but Jeff specifically says that sharing tap tempo with tuner is not a great idea.

2) Have a SINGLE button that does song up if you click it and song down if you click and hold (if I remember correctly, the hold time is configurable too - depending on how fast you normally click - it's not hold forever - but a second or two - not like your foot is glued there for the duration).

4) Have a SINGLE button that does page up if you click it and page down if you click and hold.

5) Have a SINGLE button for preset up/down that will do a preset up with a short click and a preset down with a long click/hold

6) now ALL of the rest of your buttons are free for your EFFECTS IA switches, which means that you may have to page less and have all or at least your most important effects on page ONE, which is NICE! And best of all (a necessity for me!) is that you've got access to your tuner on all pages.

This is a nice layout! However, what if you want to go from preset 3 back to preset 1? That'd be difficult when you have only preset up/down, you'll have to "down" 2 times in a row which will most definitely be something you can hear when playing a song. Unless the switching takes place somewhere in the song when the guitarist is not playing.

Also, why is the tuner access considered to be best practice? I've always wondered that :)

Back
Top Bottom