Should I get a Liquid Foot?

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
I'd love to learn another piece of gear and do tutorials on it. I'm particularly interested in the Liquid Foot Plus + series - whatever the one is with the color LCD screens. I think there's a 12 and a 24?

It seems to be able to do a lot of things, and I am running into a few road blocks with the MFC when it comes to integrating other MIDI gear. With the Axe it's perfect - I want to get the Mark III, I still have a Mark I.

Anyone here with the Liquid Foot Plus 12+ or the 24+ (whatever they're called!)? I know the switches can be anything anywhere, tons of features. Thoughts?

As far as programming goes, I'm quite sure nothing beats the Gordius.
There have been plenty of posts about this.
But the screens on the LF are a huge plus.
I wish someone would make a combination of the two.
If only used the same dynamic memory structure as the Gordius plus the conditional programming and some other stuff I can't think of right now.
In the Gordius, there are (almost) no restrictions in memory.
MFC, LF and RJM have 384 presets.
That seems like a lot until you want to use it with other gear.
On the Axe-FX, we have scenesto create 8 combinations of one preset.
With any other gear that would translate to 8 presets on the controller.
With the Gordius you don't have that restriction.
You can have +1000 presets; +1000songs,...memory is dynamic
You don't need scenes as you create these with your presets in the controller.

The 12+ is so insanely powerful I don't know where to start. With the dual functions of the buttons, the step possibilities (any button can step through a number of commands on every push), any button sending any command to any channel...

Have to admit there's a bit of laziness involved here. Jeff has made some tuts, but they are a bit... Made from the standpoint of someone who knows all about it. The word geekish comes to mind, but I mean it in a respectful way. ;) I have some trouble translating what he says to what I currently think I want.

I'd love to see some more accessible tutorials. I'm sure he would too.

I found customerservice frome LF terrible to a point they abadonded my issues and never replyed to my emails after some promises....

Great controllers, terrible customerservice and a compan y who has the habit to go under the radar for month, i seen that pattern for years now with Jeff so my advice is stay far away frome it.

I'd love to learn another piece of gear and do tutorials on it. I'm particularly interested in the Liquid Foot Plus + series - whatever the one is with the color LCD screens. I think there's a 12 and a 24?

It seems to be able to do a lot of things, and I am running into a few road blocks with the MFC when it comes to integrating other MIDI gear. With the Axe it's perfect - I want to get the Mark III, I still have a Mark I.

Anyone here with the Liquid Foot Plus 12+ or the 24+ (whatever they're called!)? I know the switches can be anything anywhere, tons of features. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=gSlrzGIHmA8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Chris,

You've absolutely got the right approach. If you are just controlling the axe, nothing beats the mfc for uber compatibility.

For more complex setups youve custom audio electronics, rjm, and liquid foot.

The liquid foot has more features and is more economical than the other two. The gordius is awesome but I think the LF has more buttons so you dont have to flip pages as many times to access the features you need during a performance.

I get GREAT customer service with famc. If I email a question or problem, I hear back in less than 30 mins including weekends or at midnight.

Rod

Last edited:
Still using my lfpro and it's killer.. no problems here. just wish the new software supported it, but it does everything I need... might upgrade to the pro+ one of these days. I used to have a JR and it was awesome also.. same exact functionality of the pro just smaller.

I found customerservice frome LF terrible to a point they abadonded my issues and never replyed to my emails after some promises....

Great controllers, terrible customerservice and a compan y who has the habit to go under the radar for month, i seen that pattern for years now with Jeff so my advice is stay far away frome it.
I've had issues with mine, but Tyler et al were very quick and thorough in replying to the support system on their own site.

I will add that responding to email is a very weak point. I ordered one a year before and that order had gotten lost, even though I had received a confirmation. Even several rounds of communication through emails and their forum had no results. At that time they had several issues like new custom made parts taking long to get delivered and the factory that made their enclosures burned down taking their inventory with it. After about 5 months I found out people that ordered a month ago got their units while mine was still not being processed. By then I needed the money for something else and stopped bothering.

The one I have now I bought used.

Still, through the support system I was happily surprised. Can't complain about the service I got. As fast as I could expect. Even though emailing them around the same time gave no response, they did respond through the support system.

rodzimguitar68 has said it perfectly. Jeff isn't a people person but he really means well. I have the LF+12+ and couldn't be happier except if I had the Pro model. It does much more than I have need or imagination for!

The 12+ is so insanely powerful I don't know where to start. With the dual functions of the buttons, the step possibilities (any button can step through a number of commands on every push), any button sending any command to any channel...

Have to admit there's a bit of laziness involved here. Jeff has made some tuts, but they are a bit... Made from the standpoint of someone who knows all about it. The word geekish comes to mind, but I mean it in a respectful way. ;) I have some trouble translating what he says to what I currently think I want.

I'd love to see some more accessible tutorials. I'm sure he would too.
LF+ JR+ owner here. The lack of good documentation, tutorials and example templates for the Axe II is my only problem with the product. It's a very powerful product that can do all kinds of cool stuff, but ease of use is definitely not its strength.

Also, despite my previous experience I am still considering ordering a newer model with the silent switches. In my situation playing in church, silence in between songs is highly appreciated. Even while playing the current switches could still be audible. Not that they are loud, but we play at a pretty low stage volume.

but I think I might see if they're wait list shortens a bit.

Ditto what the guys said above... great unit! I think your videos would be very beneficial to the community!

I'm with you Dutch... I have the older 9lb LF+ 12+ unit and would love to get the new 3 lb, with blue main lcd and silent switches!

I'm mostly intrigued by the pages feature so I can have a page for my solo/duo gigs and specific switches for that (looper, scenes, Voicelive rack control, etc) then another page for my band setup (presets, more IAs).

Just had unexpected car trouble so I won't be buying anything soon though boo!!

I started with the Liquid Foot Pro, now have an LF+ Pro+ (the second '+' means the model with the LCD screens.

Switches are quieter than MFC by far, though still not as quiet as I'd like. The screens mean no more silly stomp labels. It has a most excellent Win/Mac editor, which is updated at the same time firmware changes are made. But the real thing is its incredible power. I know of no other foot controller that allows you to do so many cool things with a single button! It's SO damn powerful, that there's a bit of a learning curve - figuring out the best configuration for yourself, and then implementing it. I am still in the midst of that process, but I did have an LF+ 12+ before, so I know how cool this generation is (though the switches on this new revision are quieter).

I don't see anything that can touch it for power and flxibility.

Oh, and Jeff's very responsive to user requests. At least two of mine are in the FW and the editor. They were implemented virtually overnight - even though one 'scroll on update' it used to be called, not sure what he calls it now because I'm still in the mapping, not implementing stage) was pretty complex (to me, anyway). Next day: done.

Oh, and now there are auto-configure wizards that make basic setup to your Axe MUCH easier than when I got my first Liquid Foot!

Only weakness: to me, and others, the manuals and videos are not good enough. They're all done by Jeff, who knows this thing forwards and backwards. Better to have a technical writer who thinks like us dumb users do it.

Ditto what the guys said above... great unit! I think your videos would be very beneficial to the community!

I'm with you Dutch... I have the older 9lb LF+ 12+ unit and would love to get the new 3 lb, with blue main lcd and silent switches!

'Silent' is a relative term. The switches on my Boomerang III (FET) are silent. Totally. These mechanical switches on the newest LF+ units are muc quieter than the old ones, and than competitor's units, but they ain't silent. Will post a video soon.

My LF+Jr+ is giving me fits right now. I dove in this weekend all gung ho for (round 2 of) trying to come up with a new workflow but I spent two days of frustration trying things that didn't work, having the pedal act weird, trying to get help via the forum, etc.. That has flowed into the work week now and still no answers. I'm considered by others to be a very technical guy, but this LF stumps me. I'm really happy for Rodney's track record with support, but it's hard to hear someone gets 30 min answers at midnight when you've spent days with no answers. Rodney has put more effort into responding to my posts on the FAMC forum than FAMC has. I welcome you getting a LF+. Maybe I'll learn how to make this thing work for me.

FWIW, my use case is very different from Rodney's. In his rig the LF is the brains of the operation and it communicates to many pieces of gear like you're looking to do. I'm AxeFxII only in my rig. I love the promise of what the LF can be in an AxeFx only (or any other) rig, I just can't make it work, LOL! I'm not a fan of the MFC-101. I much prefer the small size and the power of pages with the button functions changing with context. Maybe someday I'll get it all worked out. It won't be for a lack of trying that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom