Modeled Mic Question and IR's

Been dialing in some sounds again, and had a question about mics in the cab block. Are they essentially just a filter on top of the cab IR? .... or does it mean that the IR was actually recorded with that mic?

If they are just a type of filter, do most players set up live patches without a mic to help simulate an amp in the room?

Its just a filter on top. I rarely use the mic sim on any cabs. Though I have been known to use the U87 on some particularly bright sounding IR captures. I think it does sound more natural NOT to use the mic sims.

Been dialing in some sounds again, and had a question about mics in the cab block. Are they essentially just a filter on top of the cab IR? .... or does it mean that the IR was actually recorded with that mic?

If they are just a type of filter, do most players set up live patches without a mic to help simulate an amp in the room?

The mic parameter in the Cab block is additional processing above and beyond the IR.

It does not indicate what microphone(s) were used to capture the IR itself.

I set the mic to none for all the newer Factory "Mix" IR's and newer Ownhammer IR's as the "mic" is baked into the IR itself.

I think there has been a shift from trying to capture IR's with neutral mics and apply the "mic" later to capturing the IR like you are tracking in a studio and capturing the mic, pre amp EQ, console EQ and everything in the IR itself.

So for me, the newer IR's don't need the Cab block mic setting any more.

Just give me some great sounding IR's, created but folks that know what more than I do about how to properly mic a guitar cab, and let me drag and drop those, then rock out.

Having all the mics, and being able to blend IR's, et al., is well and good I suppose, but for me at least, 9 times out of 10 I just end up making it sound worse and wasting a bunch of time in process.

Stuff like the Ownhammer releases is great because it gives me great tones right out of the gate (and you do still get all the mics for those who do want to "roll their own" so to speak)

That all make a lot of sense, and confirmed what I thought I was hearing. I'm preferring the cab sims, without using a mic.

I remember a few years back messing with one of the IR programs out there and there were a million options for each mic recorded at different distances and portions of the cone. Way too much fuss. I like the idea of a complete IR, take it or leave it.

That all make a lot of sense, and confirmed what I thought I was hearing. I'm preferring the cab sims, without using a mic.

I remember a few years back messing with one of the IR programs out there and there were a million options for each mic recorded at different distances and portions of the cone. Way too much fuss. I like the idea of a complete IR, take it or leave it.

You can still get something like these options but from different IR's of the same speaker / cab as offered by a company like Ownhammer. They would be loading different IR's not settings in the Cab block like Mic. etc.

The mic models are actually IRs. The mic IR is convolved with the speaker IR to create a composite final IR.

I almost always use a mic model on the non-mixed IRs. I'll typically use a 57 on one side and an R121 on the other.

Back
Top Bottom