ghost fizz

Because you don't put your ear up against the speaker.

0z06.jpg

Last edited:
Here is those same settings on a real '76 Marshall 1987 plexi

thanks for that clip, it helps alot.

when i got the axe-fx II, i also got some Lace Duallys and tweaked my presets for those pickups.....so i needed the plexi preamp and master volume at 10 to get a mild distortion out of it, and it cleaned up squeaky clean....enough to allow me to only use that preset for the entire church service.

then i got the charvel with EMG's. it was SO MUCH HOTTER that i thought my Lace pickups were bad, so i got rid of the Lace pickups. all of my other guitars have medium to high gain pickups, which really brought out the fizz. now that i'm hearing the axe-fx II for the first time with hot pickups, i'm hearing all kinds of stuff.

at the same time that i switched pickups, i also updated to the latest axe-fx firmware....so i wasn't sure where the problem was.

now that i know for sure that the sound i am hearing is normal, i can make some adjustments.

i never meant to ruffle any feathers with this post. i apologize to Cliff and/or anybody that might have been a little aggravated with me for now explaining myself better. i didn't intend to slam the axe-fx or compare it to some other modeler.....i was just troubleshooting and thinking out loud. a bad thing to do on the internet for sure.

thanks for the help guys.

i never meant to ruffle any feathers with this post. i apologize to Cliff and/or anybody that might have been a little aggravated with me for now explaining myself better. i didn't intend to slam the axe-fx or compare it to some other modeler.....i was just troubleshooting and thinking out loud.
You gotta be able to say what's on your mind. It was all thoughtful and relevant.

i never meant to ruffle any feathers with this post. i apologize to Cliff and/or anybody that might have been a little aggravated with me for now explaining myself better. i didn't intend to slam the axe-fx or compare it to some other modeler.....i was just troubleshooting and thinking out loud. a bad thing to do on the internet for sure.

I'm glad you did bring this up. It initially really bothered me when I started hearing it in with v10.00, but I had gotten used to it since then, though I still wondered if there was something wrong (either on my end or elsewhere). Now knowing (thanks to your thread) it is normal and supposed to be there will completely ease my mind about it, so thank you for that. :)

now that i know for sure that the sound i am hearing is normal, i can make some adjustments.

Cool to see you're satisfied and can go forward. Tube amps, if you really listen to them, have all sorts of warts, crackle, sizzle, etc. and some of those can sound like something is 'frying' cause the distortion is very un-musical but is the nature of the beast. Right on...have fun.

i guess i was thrown abit because i felt like Cliff and others were saying that the axe-fx didn't have all of the warts as the real amps.....which was what i wanted for sure. now that i know the axe-fx is exactly like a tube amp, i can adjust accordingly.

Yes. ^ And that does help.

Oh... as well not putting your ears right next to the monitors. lol
But seriously, it does help a little to be further away.

EMGs, eh? Gotta ask...when was the last time you changed your battery? :)

This is exactly the first thing I thought. I had EMGs and would run into this crackling sound when my battery was low. Also I've also experienced this when the CPU% was above 90%.

thanks for that clip, it helps alot.

when i got the axe-fx II, i also got some Lace Duallys and tweaked my presets for those pickups.....so i needed the plexi preamp and master volume at 10 to get a mild distortion out of it, and it cleaned up squeaky clean....enough to allow me to only use that preset for the entire church service.

then i got the charvel with EMG's. it was SO MUCH HOTTER that i thought my Lace pickups were bad, so i got rid of the Lace pickups. all of my other guitars have medium to high gain pickups, which really brought out the fizz. now that i'm hearing the axe-fx II for the first time with hot pickups, i'm hearing all kinds of stuff.

at the same time that i switched pickups, i also updated to the latest axe-fx firmware....so i wasn't sure where the problem was.

No need to apologise in the slightest, you had a genuine concern that was aired, worked through and good answers given in a helpful manner. Believe me I wish every thread was conducted like this one!

...so i needed the plexi preamp and master volume at 10 to get a mild distortion out of it, and it cleaned up squeaky clean....
Let me tell you that drive and master at 10 in a good serviced plexi will not sound so good. Maybe an amp that needs service (caps & resistor & tubes) could sound a lot "rounder", "smoother"... but it's an amp problem. Depending on PU level, a good plexi have killer crunch from 4 to 7 (drive) (master on ten to emulate no master). These is real plexi sound... hope it helps! Tweak always by ears! :)

There's nothing to work on. That's what amps do.

I think you can also discuss if modellers should also emulate the 'bad' things of amps such as noise and fizz. Some amp models are rather noisy. Maybe that is because of the real amp it is modeled after is noisy too. I Can't tell for sure since I don't own all the real amps. But is that noise desirable? Not for me. When I record (and also when I play in a band) I want to have an as noise free signal as possible. To me this fizz thing doesn't sound as 'desirable' or musical. Then why should it be emulated? Same goes for noise.

To me this fizz thing doesn't sound as 'desirable' or musical. Then why should it be emulated?
If they took the fizz out, there would be a ton of posts complaining that the sound was too sterile.

The cool thing is you get to choose how much of that you want:
...try Javajunkie's suggestion: "You can reduce it by using the ideal/smooth modeling mode and increasing the power amp bias."

As for the noise, that's noise coming from your guitar, being amplified by the high gain of the amp. You have choices here, too: either shield your guitar, remove the source of interference in the room, use the noise gate, or live with it. :)

Let me tell you that drive and master at 10 in a good serviced plexi will not sound so good. Maybe an amp that needs service (caps & resistor & tubes) could sound a lot "rounder", "smoother"... but it's an amp problem. Depending on PU level, a good plexi have killer crunch from 4 to 7 (drive) (master on ten to emulate no master). These is real plexi sound... hope it helps! Tweak always by ears! :)

With volume up, it didn't sound very good on the amp. However, there are a lot of different Plexis (not even going into mods) and they will react differently.

Back
Top Bottom