Wicked Wiki 16: A virgin Axe-Fx II

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
WICKED WIKI 16

"A VIRGIN AXE-FX II"

Here's something you can't do in real life: reclaim virginity. Whether you're having problems, or just feel the urge to start programming your Axe-Fx II from scratch, it can be helpful to get your Axe-Fx II back to a virgin state.

But first: DON'T FORGET TO CREATE BACKUPS! Read this.
Also read the tip at the bottom about preserving global block data.

Perform the steps below at your own risk!

Step 1: Removing all presets
Clearing all three Preset Banks (A, B, C) is fast and easy. Download the attached file and unzip "empty_bank.syx". Launch Fractal-Bot, load the file and send it. The Bot will ask to which preset bank it should send the file. Just select one bank, send it and repeat it for the other banks. Done, the preset banks are empty.

Step 2: Removing all system data
The system data area of the Axe-Fx II contains the user cabs, configuration information and global blocks data. The following procedure will delete it all. Download the attached file and unzip "clean_system_v11.syx". Launch Fractal-Bot, load the file and send it. The Bot will display a warning. Confirm, wait and it's done. Now restart the unit!!
After powering up all parameters in I/O, Global etc. will be reset to their default values, user cabs 1-50 will be empty and global blocks data is gone. This method does not clear user cab slots 51-100.
So what's the difference with Reset System Params in the Utility menu? Well, that instruction just clears the most of the configuration data (I/O, Global and Tuner menu). It leaves user cabs and global blocks data intact.

Step 3: Clearing user cabs 51-100
As noted above, uploading the clean system file does not clear user cabs 51-100. This has to be done separately. Download the attached file and unzip "empty_cab.syx". Launch Fractal-Bot, load the file and send it. The Bot will ask to which slot it should send the empty IR. Type "51" (or Current if you have selected the cab slot on the unit itself) and send it. You have to repeat it for every slot. Tedious, yes, but it's a matter of minutes.
Note that when you select an user cab slot on the Axe-Fx after sending the empty IR to it, the Axe-Fx will still display the user cab name afterwards. You have to restart the Axe-Fx II to refresh the names.

Step 4: Upgrading firmware, updating factory presets
You can of course take this opportunity to upgrade the firmware to the latest version, and download and install the latest factory presets. You'll find both on Fractal Audio's Support page.

That's it. Now you can start from scratch or import banks, presets and/or user cabs using Fractal-Bot. You can also use Axe-Edit to load presets or individual presets from within bank files.

If you want some of your global data back, load a preset you've previously saved with unlinked global blocks, "save and link" the specific block settings to a global block slot and save. There, you've got it back in the system.

Wiki: Resetting the Axe-Fx II

List of all Wicked Wiki threads

Attachments

• reset.zip
    13 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
If you want some of your global data back, load a preset you've previously saved with unlinked global blocks, "load and link" the specific block settings to a global block slot and save. There, you've got it back in the system. Only works for global block slots #1.
I did this some firmwares ago and I did restore global blocks up to slot #4 with no issues.

Okay, that great. Although I don't quite understand how it's possible to extract slot 2-3-4 settings from a preset without global blocks.

Okay, that great. Although I don't quite understand how it's possible to extract slot 2-3-4 settings from a preset without global blocks.

1. Select a preset

2. Unlink global blocks

3. Save a copy of the preset

4. "Virginize" the Axe :p

5. Reload all your presets

6. Recall the preset mentioned in [1.]

7. For each block double click on fx-bypass, select the slot number with the data wheel, and select "save and link to global" or "save to global block"

This is from the top of my head, but should be pretty accurate.

1. Select a preset

2. Unlink global blocks

3. Save a copy of the preset

4. "Virginize" the Axe :p

5. Reload all your presets

6. Recall the preset mentioned in [1.]

7. For each block double click on fx-bypass, select the slot number with the data wheel, and select "save and link to global" or "save to global block"

This is from the top of my head, but should be pretty accurate.

Yes, that's what I meant to write in the OP too (I wrote load-and-link instead of save-and-link by mistake).
But I also meant that if the original preset [1] also had programmed settings in slot 2, 3, etc., that this method won't recall them.

But I also meant that if the original preset [1] also had programmed settings in slot 2, 3, etc., that this method won't recall them.

Why not? You can save a global block in the nth slot even if the first (n-1) slots are empty.

Why not? You can save a global block in the nth slot even if the first (n-1) slots are empty.

I think we may have a misunderstanding here. :)
I don't mean saving into one of the slots, whether it's the 1st or 10th (yes, that's possible).

I'm talking about restoring previously saved global blocks slots from a unlinked preset.
you can only extract the original first slot from that preset. If you also had configured slot #2 of a block, before unlinking the pressed, you cannot retract those settings from the unlinked preset, AFAIK.
I don't think I can explain it better than this...

If you also had configured slot #2 of a block, before unlinking the pressed, you cannot retract those settings from the unlinked preset, AFAIK.
I don't think I can explain it better than this...

Oh, now I got it!

Yes, you are absolutely right!

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom