CLR as backline?

Sted

Inspired
Hey guys, any of you using the CLR wedge (Passive if it matters) as a traditional backline cab in a band? I'm going between different scenario's in my head as to which would be the best solution for my rig, I play at home through my monitors and get decent results, I also play live in a covers band that rarely has the use of a decent PA or sound guys.
My initial thoughts was to go for the Neolight 1x12 eventually moving to a pair but the more I'm considering it the more I'm thinking the CLR will be a bit more versatile offering me the use at home, as a live wedge should the need arise and also as traditional backline, would just like to hear if any of you guys employ the wedges in this manner and what results you get in a full band competing against drums and other guitars etc, I'm running an Axe II into a Matrix GT1000, any demo links or vids would be appreciated.

Cheers guys.

The CLR can handle lots of power. Be aware that it's a FRFR speaker, so its sound is different from a regular guitar speaker. If you want the traditional cabinet sound, use a traditional speaker, or be prepared to do some tweaking in the Amp block and the Cab block settings.

Reactions: LVC
I love it as a backline. To me standing in front of it feels most like a real cab should. You can get that guitar/cab interaction and endless feedback/sustain going.

I do prefer to set it on a chair or a pole and use the "free field" eq setting. Be aware that while it can get very loud, it is a closed back monitor, so it radiates sound almost exclusively from the front. This means that if you stand close in front of it you may block some of the sound and it may not be super loud in the room. That said, it does really pack a punch.

I love it as a backline. To me standing in front of it feels most like a real cab should. You can get that guitar/cab interaction and endless feedback/sustain going.

I do prefer to set it on a chair or a pole and use the "free field" eq setting. Be aware that while it can get very loud, it is a closed back monitor, so it radiates sound almost exclusively from the front. This means that if you stand close in front of it you may block some of the sound and it may not be super loud in the room. That said, it does really pack a punch.

Sam - are you using active or passive CLR wedges?

Two active wedges here.

They are beasts as a backline. The best for power amp sims + IR's that I've ever used.

Insanely loud. These can compete with a 100w head + 4x12 cab no worries.

If you are playing with a full stack (2 4x12's) or more than one full stack, you might have to get 4 CLR's to compete but at that point, you are dealing with collosal stage wash anyway.

On stage I use my CLR as monitor in front of me (tilt mode - sub filter on).
This provides an exact representation of the presets sound through my home monitors (Adam A5X) as well as my trusty Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones.
Three ways of amplication, one sound.
I'm really happy and wouldn'd change my rig with any other.

In some rehearsals I used the CLR as backline.
Although it performed well in that situation, I prefer the direct and crisp 'in front of me'-experience.
Also this provides me with total control over my tone since what I hear is exactly what is sent FOH.

I don't like playing with excessive volume, and I'd leave the room instandly if someone would crank his 100W Marshall.
But I don't have any doubt that the CLR could compete.
It can handle high volume really well.

Sam - are you using active or passive CLR wedges?

I have two active wedges. Hence the mention of eq modes. Good question since I forgot that the OP has the passive wedge. Still any subtle difference in placement or power amp tone could be easily compensated for with the axe-fx's global eq.

Last edited:
It's so easy to miss things or gloss over details due to the shear amount of info being shared on this forum. Not a complaint though. This forum is AMAZING! I need to regularly remind myself to slow down and read more carefully before replying. Anyway, carry on everyone. :)

Great responses, thanks guys, I may actually have a look at the matrix CFR12 as I'm in the UK and the CLR's don't seem to be even starting to ship until Mid February over here :(

I'm sure the Matrix units are excellent too though :)

Great responses, thanks guys, I may actually have a look at the matrix CFR12 as I'm in the UK and the CLR's don't seem to be even starting to ship until Mid February over here :(

The CLR do ship in Europe direct now. Just sign up on the reserve list. They got a big batch a couple a weeks ago.
That was what Tom King wrote on TGP.

Have you checked the new Matrix FR212 also? That thing looks like a real beast and according to some forum members sounds like one too. :D

I have two active wedges. Hence the mention of eq modes. Good question since I forgot that the OP has the passive wedge. Still any subtle difference in placement or power amp tone could be easily compensated for with the axe-fx's global eq.

Is that all the onboard DSP on the active version does? If so, are those EQ curves for each way of positioning the wedge available somewhere?

Have you checked the new Matrix FR212 also? That thing looks like a real beast and according to some forum members sounds like one too. :D

Yeah mate, looks a monster! Kind of thinking that a couple of wedges might be the way to go for a bit of versatility for different applications though.

Hi Sted, not sure where you got the mid February timeline. We've been shipping like crazy in the EU for the last few weeks and are now up to date on the EU Reserve List with a limited amount of inventory leftover. We haven't opened the store to the public yet (working on it) but if you sign up for the Reserve List, you'll get an invite right away. Thanks!

-TK

Hi Sted, not sure where you got the mid February timeline. We've been shipping like crazy in the EU for the last few weeks and are now up to date on the EU Reserve List with a limited amount of inventory leftover. We haven't opened the store to the public yet (working on it) but if you sign up for the Reserve List, you'll get an invite right away. Thanks!

-TK

Thanks for the reply, its on the website mate, didn't realise it was February 2013 it was referring to! Just got my invite, just need to decide what to get now!

-TK

Hi Tom,

Any timeline projections on invites for the US Reserve List?

I only signed up Sept 13, 2013 (hoping to get two active CLRs) so I expect there are plenty of folks ahead of me.

But, it would be nice to know if we are getting close to the next US batch so we can plan accordingly ($$$). :)

Steve Crosby

Sted,
I have 3 active CLR wedges and love them to death in all positions (backline, free field and wedge).
I use them with both electric, acoustic and bass guitar, and further more I often play music and backing track through them or use them for a full band mix or mini PA.
There are a lot of possibilities and applications for whisch they are suited, and with the right speaker IR it'll sound like one of the best cabs you've ever heard.
The CLR is a professional reference grade monitor at consumer pricing which is insane (lets just keep this between us so Tom King doesn't raise his prices), and they sound great at anything from low bedroom to full on (insanely) loud rock stage volumes.
I have 60+ shows on mine and they still impress me with their sound quality every single time I turn them on.
I can't recommend the CLRs highly enough.

Is that all the onboard DSP on the active version does? If so, are those EQ curves for each way of positioning the wedge available somewhere?

That plus a sub on/off switch which is some kind of high pass filter. I don't know if any info is available about the eq curves. Tom King would be the one to ask.

Back
Top Bottom