How to make A Deluxe Verb Chime?

claxor

Power User
I loved the Deluxe Verb amp for pure clean tones on the Ultra, and I'm trying to achive the same thing with the Axe 2, but struggling. What controls are the key to making this amp have that brilliant clean chime?

Using FW 11.03

Thanks!

Try out some different IRs if you don't get the desired results from messing with the regular amp controls.

id also advise tweaking at pretty good volume. certain things are so much more apparent at gig-levels.

I loved the Deluxe Verb amp for pure clean tones on the Ultra, and I'm trying to achive the same thing with the Axe 2, but struggling. What controls are the key to making this amp have that brilliant clean chime?

Using FW 11.03

Thanks!

Use the Parametric EQ block!, will do wonders for those cleans.

Using FW 11.03

Thanks!

Try some of the AlNiCo Blues/Silver mixes. Even if it says they're for a VOX

chime you say? if all those suggestions doesn't work, try changing picks with rough edges and pick at an angle, if it still don't work try using coins! :mrgreen

How do you set your PEQ for cleans?

i dont!, the kind of cleans i like don't require further then what some of the clean amps offer, but in real amps i have used PEQ with incredible effectiveness and in the studio too, so its only logical to use it and let your ears tell you what the appropriate setting is and not what some one will tell you it is.

Remember, always trust your ears!

i dont!, the kind of cleans i like don't require further then what some of the clean amps offer, but in real amps i have used PEQ with incredible effectiveness and in the studio too, so its only logical to use it and let your ears tell you what the appropriate setting is and not what some one will tell you it is.

Remember, always trust your ears!

Ok, in the post I replied to you said: "Use the Parametric EQ block!, will do wonders for those cleans."

Anyway. One of the best things about the forum to me is to investigate what others have come up with. For instance that's how I discovered the joys of using the PEQ as a mid-boost when playing loud with the band vs playing at home, as per a thread in this forum. I then took the concept and tweaked it for my ears, but without the starting point of what someone else had discovered I would never had come up with the idea in the first place.

So when someone says they use a PEQ block for "chimer cleans" I was curious if there's specific frequency ranges you like to boost/cut, and roughly how much. That's all.

I would suggest turning down the input trim a little since you're using HB's. Also experimenting with IR's as mentioned.
Not sure about the ultra as I never tried one, but the current FW in the II really does nail a lot of the amps modeled, good points and bad. It might be that the Deluxe Reverb in the ultra is a good bit different than what is in the II now, so you might have better luck with another amp, at least for buckers. On the real DR's I've played/owned, clean chime with Buckers is not what they do well, in my opinion anyway- they tend to breakup and compress pretty quick, where as they do the clean chime thing much better with single coils.
Maybe try the Twin Reverb model.

Last edited:
Hmm.

Chime I associate with VOX type amps coupled with a Rickenbacker.

Deluxe is a 'close but not quite' type of chime (I feel it's more 'glittery' if that makes any sense.) Hotplate is right tho, FIRST THING is turn it up (amp at defaults), then find an IR that gets close to the tone in your head, optionally play with MIC's then. Time to work with the amp: dial back the input trim, maybe more preamp than MV.

Good luck. Don't discount some of the other amps that might fit the bill.

Try the Vox Top Boost models (Class A 15w TB or Class A 30w TB) or the Morgan Deluxe (AC-20 DLX) with a Blue and/or silver cabs (class a blue mix or class a silver mix).

An oldie from Cliff:

Cliff, 2008 HRI: IMHO, the essence of "chime" is plenty of high-frequency boost and a decent amount of nonlinearity. Now, by nonlinearity I don't mean clipping but a transfer function that deviates significantly from a straight line. Power amps with no negative feedback are inherently less linear and that's why they sound chimier. The nonlinearity adds overtones which makes the notes sound more bell-like. The other effect of no negative feedback is increased treble as the impedance curve of the speaker imparts a treble boost due to the coil inductance.

Back
Top Bottom