Can Axe Looper quantinize to MIDI Clock?

bgrizzmayne

Inspired
Hey guys-

I've got an Axe and hope to be using it with my three piece group coming up. I used to have a Boomerang III but never ran it with MIDI. I'm wondering if I could put a Midi clock into the MIDI In of the Axe, and if the looper would quantinize to the tempo. So if I slightly hit the loop late or beginning, it will remain intact with the click track our laptop is sending to our drummer/my ears. Or is that a feature that may be looked at in future updates? I know people have said that the Axe's looper isn't super robust- I'm still waiting for an MFC Mk III to really get into it, but I was just curious if I'll need to ad a boomerang.

If I do need to add a boomerang, could I run the MIDI clock in to the Axe II, then plug the MIDI out of the MFC into the In of the boomerang? Would the MFC pass the clock to the boomerang?

Ben

Unfortunately not, i wish it could. Thats the only weaker point of axe looper compared to best loopers out
in the market...

I asked for this a year ago but got no response.

That sucks. As I mentioned, my 3 piece is going to rely on me looping alot so I can sing over some more difficult passages. Guess I'm going to have to run my MFC + expression board AND save some coin for a MIDI looper. I actually sold my boomerang to help fund my axe purchase- shoulda done more research on the axe looper I guess.

What would be the use for that, Semih?

Use ableton....no looper is/will/can be better. I use ableton as looper and functions great.

How do you control Ableton's functions? Maybe i could control ableton with the MFC? Unfamiliar with Ableton Live, but have been thinking about using it live; I see a lot of people using it for tracks and so forth. We'll be using something that will run tracks and click, so I suppose ableton could be a solution to that. They make it for PC, right? I've got a Dell Studio XPS

We're in crunch time right now on some higher priority items but I definitely want to look into adding this. If I haven't gotten back to you within a few months please bump this thread :).

Thanks.

Good to know, Adam. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the other items, and I'll definitely let you guys know down the road. I definitely think the Axe could benefit from a little more comprehensive looper, but I know you guys are busy! The Axe is an amp modeler/FX processor, so the looper is definitely a secondary feature. Still, upgrading that would further the Axe's reputation as the ultimate all in one device for a guitarist.

What would be the use for that, Semih?

I didnt understand this question, sorry.

How do you control Ableton's functions? Maybe i could control ableton with the MFC? Unfamiliar with Ableton Live, but have been thinking about using it live; I see a lot of people using it for tracks and so forth. We'll be using something that will run tracks and click, so I suppose ableton could be a solution to that. They make it for PC, right? I've got a Dell Studio XPS

PC or Mac doesnt matter. U can control ableton with any midi controller. I use softstep but u can do it also with mfc.

Last edited:
That sucks. As I mentioned, my 3 piece is going to rely on me looping alot so I can sing over some more difficult passages. Guess I'm going to have to run my MFC + expression board AND save some coin for a MIDI looper. I actually sold my boomerang to help fund my axe purchase- shoulda done more research on the axe looper I guess.

You could do a poor man's version with tap tempo, I think. Then you just have to periodically "re-sync" the tempo by re-tapping.

You could do a poor man's version with tap tempo, I think. Then you just have to periodically "re-sync" the tempo by re-tapping.

That might get the job done initially. Is there a way to switch from looper mode to regular IA mode on the MFC in the fly? If what you say about tap tempo is true, I might be able to get the job done, or we could play without a click and the drummer won't have to worry about hearing my loop perfectly to play to it.

It'd be way easier if the axe synced to it, but that might be able to get it done for the time being.

Hey guys-

If I do need to add a boomerang, could I run the MIDI clock in to the Axe II, then plug the MIDI out of the MFC into the In of the boomerang? Would the MFC pass the clock to the boomerang?

Ben

This way don't works!

But this works for me (Boomerang fw 3.0!) since the Axe Midi Thru don't operate:
(e.g.) Alesis SR18 Midi Out >>> Boomerang Sidecar Midi In >>> Boomerang Sidecar Midi Out >>> Boomerang III Midi In >>> Boomerang III Midi Out >>> Axe-FX II Midi In
Keep in mind! This midi setup works fine and flawless because I use the MFC-101 and Cat5 to control the Axe. A third party midi controller will require the Axe Midi In I think so ...

It is recognizable that the Axe receive midi signals from the sidecar (short blinking of a green light by using the buttons) but currently I can't see any one reaction to these messages (SR18 = Omni; Axe-FX = Midi Ch1, Boomerang = ??? I think Omni ...)

PC or Mac doesnt matter. U can control ableton with any midi controller. I use softstep but u can do it also with mfc.

Anyone have detailed info on how to run this setup with ableton being used as a looper? Would also be playing track to pa and click to drummer?

I would love this feature. Spent a while trying to get it to work before giving up, glad to discover it wasn't just my incompetence!

Yeah I'd love to see a detailed ableton explanation if I'm going to do it that way.

Perhaps I could use my MFC as an ableton midi controller.

More ideally, I'd love to see the Axe looper be able to quantinize with midi and get a bit of an overhaul. Though I know memory can be a premium, so it might take too much juice to do.

But even the exact same looper, but with MIDI quantinzation to a clock would be AWESOME.

Back
Top Bottom