Just to clear up another rumor mill....

spikey

Experienced
Someone is trying to state (on another guitar processor forum) that the reason all of these famous players are using the Axe FX II in their rack is because they got it for free, to promote, and thats why its in there.... Yea I may be getting my chain pulled but none the less...,

I have stated that I think they are using the Axe FX II in their racks because it has the sounds they are wanting and needing to perform with, no matter who paid for it.

But to validate the argument and remove all doubts, I gotta ask...

Without trying to violate privy info, does most of the famous names promoting the FX II here pay for their own units?

I would think that they would be happy to, after playing thru mine... :pride:

The answer is:

"You'll never really know what the true answer is..." and there's absolutely no point people wildly speculating or defending either side of such stuff

I would guess that most moderately famous players are paying for their Axe FX at an artist price.
Players like the Edge, or John Petrucci... maybe not so much. (but that's just guessing)

Not too many companies nowadays just give away their products. Especially smaller
boutique brands like Fractal. They just can't afford it.

I'm affiliated with a few different companies, I don't get a lot of free stuff, although I get considerable
discounts. But honestly the support a I receive from the different brands is more valuable than the discount.
Plus I'm happy to pay for quality products.

Why would someone bother claiming that anyway? It's common knowledge that many manufacturers sign contracts with artists (stupid exclusive ones too) and "give" their gear or even kickbacks for prominent display or mention in an interview. So singling out Fractal wouldn't make sense. But the truth turns out to be quite the reverse... other gear is on display, sometimes even completely disconnected on stage b/c they are using the AxeFX only. I kind of feel bad for the artists who got sucked into the gear promo racket.

But it's good to know that if there's an Axe in the Rack, it was chosen and paid for.

What's the point in endorsing a product then?

I endorse Parker guitars and have for over 10 years. The service I get from these guys is awesome. I get discounted instruments but not as cheap as one might think (Still better than discounted retail) and really, for the average pro musician (meaning not Steve Vai, JP and these other guys), endorsement is not a "source of income", it's a service facility.

If you get famous enough to get your own signature items, it's a whole new ball game.

And beyond that, you can start your own line of clothing! ;)

Endorsing a product brings benefits to both sides. For a product, it can help move more units, and can promote the company. For the artist, it usually can mean discounted gear, promotion on the businesses webpages, direct support from the company, amoung other things.

It's a relationship. The point is to have a working relationship that benefits both parties.

Thanks Patzag and Sean Ashe.
Yes, it makes sense, such endorsement brings benefit to the product company.
My (candide) question was more about the guitarist side. Then yes in general the discount alone is worth it even if it's not the case with Fractal Audio.

To be specific. The times I've benefitted the most from having endorsements... when an amp has gone down,
I've been able to ship out a defective unit, and have a loaner sent to me overnight, whilst my amp was being very rapidly repaired.
Also touring through UK/EU I've saved thousands of dollars in weeks worth of rental fees on amps by getting loaners from
companies I've been affiliated with.

I've gotta say before the Axe, I've never experienced the immense giddiness I get from other musicians, monitor guys, or FOH over
a single piece of gear. It always seems to be a positive major talking point.

I imagine the "give" for the artist is personal support of the product by Fractal Audio with matching tones, etc.

Off the top of my head...

Service. As others have mentioned prominent artists on tour can have repairs expedited and loaners provided, not to mention having staff from the company personally helping with setup. Having Matt come out and help you (or your tech) dial in sounds has got to be worth something.

Exposure. Sure, Steve Vai has helped to sell a few Ibanez guitars, but I'll wager Ibanez has helped to sell a few Steve Vai albums too. If Fractal want to run a full page ad in Guitar Player magazine with a picture of me and a caption saying "I use the Axe and so should you"... I would be pretty OK with that.

Good will. If a guy like John Petrucci tries the Axe out and thinks it is pretty good, it costs nothing for him to say a few words to that effect and allow Fractal to put it up on the website (other endorsments notwithstanding). Guaranteed many of these guys are kinda gear nuts, and when helping the smaller manufacturers succeed costs you nothing it is easy to justify lavishing a bit of praise publicly on something you think is cool. Heck, the rest of us are quick enough to share our enthusiasm for our cool toys when given the chance, why not the "big boys" too.

All this before even considering discounts, swag and freebies.

Kind of like the difference between someone wanting to sleep with you and someone wanting to sleep with you for money.

There should be a word for that!

Really though, there is nothing wrong with doing anything you have to in order to survive in this crazy business.

Kind of like the difference between someone wanting to sleep with you and someone wanting to sleep with you for money.

There should be a word for that!

Really though, there is nothing wrong with doing anything you have to in order to survive in this crazy business.

A few points:

-Many of these artists have NO PROBLEM (understating) throwing a few grand at gear.
-The word 'endorsement' has all kinds of meanings for different people. Does it mean you use it all the time? Probably not. It's a narrow musician who can't use a cornucopia of gear based on location, situation, job, whatever. Would you knock a 'Randall' endorser because he flies to Helsinki and has to play a Soldano for a last second gig?

A last comment:

When you are on top, you will hear more and more outrageous accusations/comments on these anonymous boards. It's a backward compliment that they appear, but I would guess that Cliff has developed the Rhino skin long ago to deal with these ankle biting gnats.

R

Back
Top Bottom