Video Review of the Tronical Tune

Cool product!
I guess its not possible to have the system active so it keeps the guitar in tune during a song for example?

Well. I've carefully checked and my Gibson ES-339 fits exactly with Type A! :encouragement:
Ordering one now.
Thank you Cooper!

Picked up one myself!

Yet to install.

It is the H type for Taylor Guitars. I've got a Taylor 614CE and the T5.
Looks like the T5 will get it!

Hi Rex, if you mean C-F-A♯-D♯-G-C , which is 2 hole steps lower.. the answer is no, for this unit at this time. My 2012 robot Les Paul..Yes

Not mentioning 2 or at least one drawback nor doing some *serious* playing on it, IMO makes for a less believable review. Some "endorsed reviews" put one or more in to at least *appear* believable ;)

I can't make it out at this speeds, but does it (also) tune going down and just stop, or does it go a bit further down and then tunes back up (like we manually should)?

If it doesn't, I guess you'll suggest it's not necessary with locking tuners? I'm not sure if everyone agrees that's 100% the case...?
And even if it does, it doesn't include some way of string stretching?

What I would want is a quick way to always be in tune.

I doubt that after using this system, a series of serious minor third bends on a few strings would still have me in tune? That is what you have to demonstrate.

If you think that's only natural it won't, that's fair, but then you have to demonstrate it's not actually worse with this system than retuning manually (turning up and including some string stretches).

To me, this kind of stuff (being still in tune after 20 secs and some minor third bends) is way more important than having easy open tunings, etc.

I could agree that people who hardly use bends or use a lot of different tunings may be happy with it. But I would guess that's a minority.

I hope I'm wrong and it's a cool evolution for sure.

If you're looking for a system which permanently keeps your guitar in tune, even while playing, you should check EverTune.

Note that it changes the look fo your guitar and is much more difficult to install...

Not mentioning 2 or at least one drawback nor doing some *serious* playing on it, IMO makes for a less believable review. Some "endorsed reviews" put one or more in to at least *appear* believable ;)

I can't make it out at this speeds, but does it (also) tune going down and just stop, or does it go a bit further down and then tunes back up (like we manually should)?

it doesn't include some way of string stretching?

I doubt that after using this system, a series of serious minor third bends on a few strings would still have me in tune? That is what you have to demonstrate.

To me, this kind of stuff (being still in tune after 20 secs and some minor third bends) is way more important than having easy open tunings, etc.

I hope I'm wrong and it's a cool evolution for sure.

The system uses locking tuners so it stays in tune just as well as any other locking tuner-equipped guitar would through bends and changes. The way it tunes doesn't change how well it holds tune once it's there. I'm not sure why you would think that just because it automatically tunes, it wouldn't hold tune just as well as manual tuners.

It does tune down and then up, as is best practice when tuning any stringed instrument. The Tronical guys have thought of basically everything.

It does not automatically stretch the strings when you re-string your guitar. That's your responsibility as a player to do; but it's no different than what you need to do on a guitar without the Tronical. You can, however, use a button to spin the head up past tune and back as many times as you'd like when re-stringing, effectively stretching the string.

I don't mention any drawbacks to the system, because I don't see any that are an issue to me. I acknowledged, however, that many people don't like having something battery-powered on their system, which is the only drawback I see.

Finally, I want to point out that the only reason this is an "endorsed review," as you say, is that I chose to officially endorse the product after I had asked to have them send me one and used it for several weeks. If I hadn't liked the product, I likely wouldn't have done a video at all. I don't do reviews for any product, only products that I am completely happy with and fully intend to use professionally, live and in the studio. Moreover, I'm not sure how much "serious playing" is really called for to be included in a review of something that's not an amp, pedal, or similar, but I can assure you, I've done a lot of "serious playing" with the Tronical over the last three weeks.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Is your Strat setup with the bridge floating? How well does it handle a floating bridge?

My strat's bridge is not floating, but it will work with a floating bridge. You don't need a Tremel-No. Simply adding a spring or two will allow the Tronical to work. As I mentioned before, Uli Roth uses them on all his guitars with Floyds.

Mine isn't tuning consistently

I recently bought one of these and used it "live", for the first time, during last night's gig.

It's not working very well for me - it's hit or miss with regard to how well it tunes my guitar. I've got a Don Grosh ElectraJet, set up for dive only. I played with it for an hour yesterday, prior to the gig, trying to get it to work more consistently, but still had to tune by hand last night. For instance, there's a calibration step to teach it how you plan to strum the strings during tuning. Since its built-in tuning presets are consistently sharp (on my guitar, with my unit, at least) compared to the Axe-Fx's tuner, I created my own standard, drop-D, and drop-D-up-a-half presets in the user bank.

There are two tuning modes: multi-string and single-string. Single-string (tune one string at a time) can work better when multi-string isn't happy. Note that Tronical recommends single-string tuning in noisy environments, though I'm not sure what constitutes noisy. The singer (my wife) hissing "why aren't you in tune yet?"? (kidding, honey).

I agree with the other elements of the review - it's lightweight, installed easily, doesn't get in my way, etc.. (Though it does get in the way of some guitar hanger hooks.) I showed it to my engineering colleagues and they were suitably impressed. Mine shipped to me without a battery, which Tronical promptly remedied by overnighting me two - from Germany!

A couple of other points - when tuning by hand, it takes many more turns compared to a standard machine head, and the turn direction is reversed from normal. The "user interface" of buttons and LEDs is, understandably, a bit cryptic and I found that I needed to write my own sheet-cheat to better understand the steps. I also have to twist and push my guitar away from me a bit in order to push the buttons and watch the LEDs.

All said, if this thing tuned my guitar better, I'd give it 5 stars. The engineering is very, very cool. I suppose I should lube my nut to verify that's not my problem, after which I should contact Tronical.

hey Cooper, let me rephrase my question concerning capo's.

every time I throw a capo on a guitar it's 99% never in tune. I've tried lots of different types of capo's claiming to just clamp on and still be in tune.
So far, I've had the best luck with the G7th, but I was wondering if I put a capo on anywhere on the neck, will hitting the tronical tune button compensate for any issues using a capo would cause?

If so, that would be a dream come true. If not, I'd still buy it just so I don't have to spend so much time tuning live and killing any momentum of the show.

thanks
Jeff

hey Cooper, let me rephrase my question concerning capo's.

every time I throw a capo on a guitar it's 99% never in tune. I've tried lots of different types of capo's claiming to just clamp on and still be in tune.
So far, I've had the best luck with the G7th, but I was wondering if I put a capo on anywhere on the neck, will hitting the tronical tune button compensate for any issues using a capo would cause?

If so, that would be a dream come true. If not, I'd still buy it just so I don't have to spend so much time tuning live and killing any momentum of the show.

thanks
Jeff

Hey Jeff. I'm actually not sure how the tronicle handles capos. I don't use them that often so I hadn't really thought about it. I can ask the company though and get back to you.

I recently bought one of these and used it "live", for the first time, during last night's gig.

It's not working very well for me - it's hit or miss with regard to how well it tunes my guitar. I've got a Don Grosh ElectraJet, set up for dive only. I played with it for an hour yesterday, prior to the gig, trying to get it to work more consistently, but still had to tune by hand last night. For instance, there's a calibration step to teach it how you plan to strum the strings during tuning. Since its built-in tuning presets are consistently sharp (on my guitar, with my unit, at least) compared to the Axe-Fx's tuner, I created my own standard, drop-D, and drop-D-up-a-half presets in the user bank.

There are two tuning modes: multi-string and single-string. Single-string (tune one string at a time) can work better when multi-string isn't happy. Note that Tronical recommends single-string tuning in noisy environments, though I'm not sure what constitutes noisy. The singer (my wife) hissing "why aren't you in tune yet?"? (kidding, honey).

I agree with the other elements of the review - it's lightweight, installed easily, doesn't get in my way, etc.. (Though it does get in the way of some guitar hanger hooks.) I showed it to my engineering colleagues and they were suitably impressed. Mine shipped to me without a battery, which Tronical promptly remedied by overnighting me two - from Germany!

A couple of other points - when tuning by hand, it takes many more turns compared to a standard machine head, and the turn direction is reversed from normal. The "user interface" of buttons and LEDs is, understandably, a bit cryptic and I found that I needed to write my own sheet-cheat to better understand the steps. I also have to twist and push my guitar away from me a bit in order to push the buttons and watch the LEDs.

All said, if this thing tuned my guitar better, I'd give it 5 stars. The engineering is very, very cool. I suppose I should lube my nut to verify that's not my problem, after which I should contact Tronical.

Ricky, it sounds like your guitar's intonation is off. The tronicle was tuning mine a bit sharp as well until I double checked my intonation and it was a little out. As far as lubing the nut, tronicle recommends in the manual that you do this to ensure the tuner works accurately.

I'm surprised that you had trouble using Multi string mode live. I used it last night at a very noisy gig and it worked fine. I imagine it may not work as well when standing right next to a drum set or amp cab, but when standing at the front of the stage, I have not had any problems.

I do agree that it takes some getting use to to have the two lowest machine heads turn the opposite way, but with the tronicle, I don't plan on using the machine heads anyway and I didn't think it was a big enough issue to take up time in my review.

Ricky, it sounds like your guitar's intonation is off. The tronicle was tuning mine a bit sharp as well until I double checked my intonation and it was a little out. As far as lubing the nut, tronicle recommends in the manual that you do this to ensure the tuner works accurately.

I'm surprised that you had trouble using Multi string mode live. I used it last night at a very noisy gig and it worked fine. I imagine it may not work as well when standing right next to a drum set or amp cab, but when standing at the front of the stage, I have not had any problems.

I do agree that it takes some getting use to to have the two lowest machine heads turn the opposite way, but with the tronicle, I don't plan on using the machine heads anyway and I didn't think it was a big enough issue to take up time in my review.
I'd already checked and tweaked the intonation, so that's not it. (And I'm not sure why intonation would effect the tuning of open strings.)
I just lubed up the nut, did some Eb to E retunings, and still have a problem. I even bought the Peterson iStroboSoft app since it gives a cents readout and is, presumably, accurate.
I'll have to contact Tronical I think.
Thanks

I'd already checked and tweaked the intonation, so that's not it. (And I'm not sure why intonation would effect the tuning of open strings.)
I just lubed up the nut, did some Eb to E retunings, and still have a problem. I even bought the Peterson iStroboSoft app since it gives a cents readout and is, presumably, accurate.
I'll have to contact Tronical I think.
Thanks

Definitely do contact support. I checked mine against a StroboStomp tuner and it was dead on.

Also, see this video:

Cooper (and others wondering the same thing)

here is the response I got from Tronical today about having a guitar retune itself with a capo on:

Hello Jeff

We are working on a capo mode and we hope that we can release it in 2014.
By the way I use Elliott capos. Expensive but precise :)

Thank You

Best regards

Guenther Klahr

Tronical GmbH

Cooper (and others wondering the same thing)

here is the response I got from Tronical today about having a guitar retune itself with a capo on:

Hello Jeff

We are working on a capo mode and we hope that we can release it in 2014.
By the way I use Elliott capos. Expensive but precise :)

Thank You

Best regards

Guenther Klahr

Tronical GmbH
I'm not sure I see why it wouldn't work with a capo now - as long as you're within the tuning range, and you create a custom tuning for it to match the actual notes you want when the capo is in place. Ah, maybe what they're working on is support for going beyond the current tuning range, for use with a capo.

TronicalTune received and installed.
Installation was very easy and fast, and the tuner works as on the videos.
:eagerness:

Back
Top Bottom