30 ms Delay But Nothing Else

hoth

Inspired
What would be the best way to delay the signal by I set amount but do nothing else to it? For example, I would pan one amp hard left and one amp hard right and then delay one signal by like 30 ms to make it sound like there are two guitar players. I'm probably missing something obvious. Thanks!

The Classic Enhancer does just that but the max delay is 20 ms. Another way would be to use the Delay block. Set the Mix to 100%, dial in the desired amount of delay and set Balance to full right.

The Classic Enhancer does just that but the max delay is 20 ms. Another way would be to use the Delay block. Set the Mix to 100%, dial in the desired amount of delay and set Balance to full right.

Thanks a lot Cliff! The incredible routing capabilities of the Axe FX II let me do a lot of my studio tricks live in real time. This is one of those things that before the Axe I would never do in a non-studio setting, but now I can do. If you can think it, you can do it with this box - I am just having such a blast with the Axe. My sincere thanks to you Cliff.

Would it be possible to add a feature to the Enhancer block that would have an algorithm that randomizes the delay? This could be used in front of two amp blocks to simulate double tracking, since two tracks have a dynamic amount of delay between them.

What would be the best way to delay the signal by I set amount but do nothing else to it? For example, I would pan one amp hard left and one amp hard right and then delay one signal by like 30 ms to make it sound like there are two guitar players. I'm probably missing something obvious. Thanks!
You can save an additional block if you use a stereo CAB, as there is L delay and R delay controls there.

This was a reply to biggness!

Try to attach a LFO controller to a Delay time and set the waveform TYPE in the LFO to random. Do this for both guitars with short delay times.

Or let the Delay times be controlled by the Envelope controller but with different modifier curves and damping times.

Maybe!?!

That's a cool idea... Maybe try adding a ADSR controller (or something like that) to the "time" parameter in a delay block?

This was a reply to biggness!

Try to attach a LFO controller to a Delay time and set the waveform TYPE in the LFO to random. Do this for both guitars with short delay times.

Or let the Delay times be controlled by the Envelope controller but with different modifier curves and damping times.

Maybe!?!

Ha! You beat me too it! Sorry for repeating a similar idea! =:·)

Another way would be to use the Delay block. Set the Mix to 100%, dial in the desired amount of delay and set Balance to full right.

just to flesh this out a bit - to do this, you'll need to put the delay in a side chain after the cab, with the mix set to 100% wet. then place a volume block or a filter block in line above the delay with the balance set to full left, so the dry signal is on one side and the delayed signal is on the other.

Would it be possible to add a feature to the Enhancer block that would have an algorithm that randomizes the delay? This could be used in front of two amp blocks to simulate double tracking, since two tracks have a dynamic amount of delay between them.

I think you'd end up with audible phasing unless you window of values was small like 15ms to 30ms.

and when changing delay time values, it will be noticeable. you can use a random lfo modifier to do this already, but you can hear the changes in delay time as glitches, or slight pitch variances

just to flesh this out a bit - to do this, you'll need to put the delay in a side chain after the cab, with the mix set to 100% wet. then place a volume block or a filter block in line above the delay with the balance set to full left, so the dry signal is on one side and the delayed signal is on the other.

Or: mono delay in series after cab, 50% mix. Set cab balance to one side, delay echo pan (not balance, which should be 0 = center) to the other side.

I find that two amps with delay into one of the amps works better than simeon's suggestion. I can't figure out why, however. I'd rather do his suggestion just because its one less amp. Ideas?

I find that two amps with delay into one of the amps works better than simeon's suggestion. I can't figure out why, however. I'd rather do his suggestion just because its one less amp. Ideas?

I've recently been playing around with this approach also with mixed results. One caveat is that I find that when using different amp models on each row I have to use 2 different gate blocks before each with unique settings dialed in so the amps react/respond in a similar manner. I also use 2 separate compression blocks in each chain for the same reason. Not the most efficient method, I know, but just playing around.

I do this:

Input----->Amp 1 ------------------------Rest of chain
|---->Flanger->Filter->Amp2----|

Flanger:
- Set Mix 100%
- Feedback to 0%
- LFO Type: Random
- LFO High-cut: lower this to taste
- Depth to taste
- Now you have a simulation of the time variations

Filter:
- Set type to NULL
- Add a modifier to the LEVEL.
- Set the modifier type to random, add some damping.
- Adjust the modifier curve to only cover a few db's up and down.
- Now you have a simulation of the variations in input level

Eq the Amp2 slightly differently.

The second amp is needed as the variations in time and level happen at the input not after an amp as it would occur with two actual distinct guitar players.

Last edited:
I do this:

Input----->Amp 1 ------------------------Rest of chain
|---->Flanger->Filter->Amp2----|

Flanger:
- Set Mix 100%
- Feedback to 0%
- LFO Type: Random
- LFO High-cut: lower this to taste
- Depth to taste
- Now you have a simulation of the time variations

Filter:
- Set type to NULL
- Add a modifier to the LEVEL.
- Set the modifier type to random, add some damping.
- Adjust the modifier curve to only cover a few db's up and down.
- Now you have a simulation of the variations in input level

Eq the Amp2 slightly differently.

The second amp is needed as the variations in time and level happen at the input not after an amp as it would occur with two actual distinct guitar players.

AlbertA,

That's quite interesting. If I understand this correctly, you are really just using the flanger block as a delay? Or is there some extra sonic additive that I'm missing here?

using two amps can sound amazing. with 12ms of delay and panned hard left and right, it's a huge sound, especially if you set it up like two guitar players with different amps and cabs. if you're looking for a tight, wide rhythm sound (petrucci style), then it may be better to use a single amp with the time split after, but you could still experiment with cloning one amp and then making some small adjustments to one of them, for extra width. i also like alberta's ideas to randomly adjust input level and time...i'm going to give those a try.

I tried a combination of Alberta and Simeon.

Set 2 amps in parallel and put a delay in front of the second amp

delay settings:
effect type: mono
time: 12ms
mix: 100%

attach a controller to level and time

Time:
source: LFO1A
min: 10ms
max: 14ms

Level:
source: LFO2A