Camper 112cx vs Matrix q12a vs Atomic CLR

It was a joke... j... o... k... e... : an attempt at humor... to try NOT to go back to the endless debates on who is wrong and who is right...

Went right by me :lol

X6hYvzTM.gif

Go where?

That there are folks who think the CLR is a little bass heavy and is not the holy grail as has been promoted on this and other forums?

What is the big deal?

Folks are entitled to their own opinions and gear preferences based on their own experiences.

I have the CLR's and the presets you post translate really well.

From that I would assume the Matrix stuff is also a great offering.

And I agree being a guitar player / performer in 2013 is rad. The technology available is mind blowing.

Not my experience, though I have them in free field setting on poles. For me it's been the flattest monitor I've used.

Terrific!

It is a beautiful thing when you find a piece of gear that works for you!

I have the CLR's and the presets you post translate really well.

From that I would assume the Matrix stuff is also a great offering.

And I agree being a guitar player / performer in 2013 is rad. The technology available is mind blowing.

It really is mind blowing.

Even things like silent systems for guitars to eliminate 60 cycle hum.

I love strats and teles ... but over the last few years I have found it almost impossible to play them in some of the shit holes I play in because of the hum generated by flat screen TVs, lights etc.

With a guitar fitted with the Suhr Silent system or one the various silent pickups being offered today -- it has become a joy to play strats and teles again in these small pubs.

Yeah... the only thing that bites, is that the guitars that USED to be cheap in the 80's are now "vintage"... :-/ LP Customs used to be $1200.... now !? yikes..

Yeah... the only thing that bites, is that the guitars that USED to be cheap in the 80's are now "vintage"... :-/ LP Customs used to be $1200.... now !? yikes..

Tell me about it.

I had a real burst that I sold in 1974 because I needed money for college. If I would have held it for another 20 years I could have financed all of my kids college educations and then some!

Last edited:
I really dig my Matrix Q12a! I just sometimes wish it was in a wedge shape for a bit more versatility. I end up putting it on a tiltback stand anyhow

Thank you very much for this video!

I am amazed at the small size of the Q12a compared to the CLR whithout any apparent or show stopping difference in sound reproduction. Without having had the chance to hear the CLR, I now feel even better having made the right decision for my situation (no more nagging feeling whether the CLR might still have been noticable better).

What drove me to the Q12a:

1) Availability - Matrix delivered within 2 days from ordering (thanks John and Pamela)
2) Footprint - I am using the cab in my cramped studio space so the small footprint of the Q12a is much appreciated
3) Ease of use - no gain staging process, simply a power switch, a volume knob and go (I do not need a second input)
4) Slave option for external amp and passive cab
5) "Looks" - very subjective but I prefer the classic look of the Q12a - a speaker, two bass reflex ports and a black grill

The only slight disadvantge I can see compared to the CLR is the fan. While it is super quiet, in my tight quarters it is still noticable when everything else is quiet and the Q12a is idling - of course, this is no issue when playing (anything) but overall, this is nit picking.

Bottomline, I feel I have made the right decision for the Q12a.

Last edited:
Tell me about it.

I had a real burst that I sold in 1974 because I needed money for college. If I would have held it for another 20 years I could have financed all of my kids college educations and then some!

You mean you would sell that guitar to put your kids through college?? Get ahold of yourself, man!

Based on this video, by no means an optimal evaluation platform, the CLR appears more transparent and linear than the Matrix or Camper. In some areas the Matrix sounded a little boxy in the mid to low bass. A loop would have been a better feed for this test comparison. As said, based on this vid.

Based on this video, by no means an optimal evaluation platform, the CLR appears more transparent and linear than the Matrix or Camper. In some areas the Matrix sounded a little boxy in the mid to low bass. A loop would have been a better feed for this test comparison. As said, based on this vid.

No, it wasn't. I was in the room. Even when I'm listening to the original video now without the horrible YT phasing there is no such difference.
Sorry but this is only wishful thinking.
;)

And you can detect that level of detail from the video? Wow - you must have good ears then...

That became pretty apparent in the first 2 comparisons, it’s not like you have to listen very hard. I'm listening with my DT880 Pro and the Matrix is definitely pronounced @ about 350-450Hz range. As said, based on the audio of this clip!

No, it wasn't. I was in the room. Even when I'm listening to the original video now without the horrible YT phasing there is no such difference.
Sorry but this is only wishful thinking.
;)

Well I don't have either of these, so I'm definitely not biased, but I'm definitely critically listening, since I plan on buying in the near future and threads like this help to evaluate to a small extent. Even blindfolded the difference is evident in this clip if you can't hear it in this clip then I guess I do have better hearing than you. The wishful thinking part is the claim of there being no distinguishable difference.:?

Well I don't have either of these, so I'm definitely not biased, but I'm definitely critically listening, since I plan on buying in the near future and threads like this help to evaluate to a small extent. Even blindfolded the difference is evident in this clip if you can't hear it in this clip then I guess I do have better hearing than you. The wishful thinking part is the claim of there being no distinguishable difference.:?

As critical as I have been of the CLR over the last few months I thought it sounded good and on par with the other two in the tape. The main difference (which is noticeable in the clip and by the folks in the room), was that the CLR added or cut to much bass with the DSP (especially when used as prescribed). For some folks it is not a big deal -- for others it is. It is just a matter of personal tastes and preferences.

I would love to see a video comparison demo using similar styled passive cabs (traditional/wedge etc).

I thought overall the video and commentary was good, honest, and very insightful.

Last edited:
The main difference (which is noticeable in the clip and by the folks in the room), was that the CLR added or cut to much bass with the DSP (especially when used as prescribed).

I'm not debating that the CLR had different bass response in each position, but "added or cut too much" is opinion.
Meaning....who's to say the CLR in wedge position (which you would be noting as 'too much bass') wasn't dead flat? And that the Matrix isn't deficient in bass?
Only measuring equipment could tell us which was flat....and which had too much or too little bass.
I think we would all agree that one person's patches also can't tell is if a speaker is flat or not. Maybe his patch was bass heavy, and the CLR in wedge position showed that?
Just saying.....

However.....I will not argue that the CLR sounded inconsistent based on positioning (while using the recommended DSP). That I definitely agree with.

LVC - I'm honestly not trying to stir the pot, just saying that these videos are just a really tough way to judge a speakers freq response (and accuracy as being flat).

I'm hoping to hear some candid feedback from folks that get to audition both of these at Axe Fest.

However.....I will not argue that the CLR sounded inconsistent based on positioning (while using the recommended DSP). That I definitely agree with.

LVC - I'm honestly not trying to stir the pot, just saying that these videos are just a really tough way to judge a speakers freq response (and accuracy as being flat). ...I'm hoping to hear some candid feedback from folks that get to audition both of these at Axe Fest.

Maybe I am missing something here but wouldn't the objective of having a switch setting for different position be so that the cab sounds the same regardless of how you set it up for the same patch?

If you need to dial your patch in for that position and DSP setting -- then why bother with a DSP at all?

Again, I thought the CLR sounded pretty damn good in the video and comparable in tone quality to the other speakers demoed.

Maybe I am missing something here but wouldn't the objective of having a switch setting for different position be so that the cab sounds the same regardless of how you set it up for the same patch?

If you need to dial your patch in for that position and DSP setting -- then why bother with a DSP at all?

Again, I thought the CLR sounded pretty damn good in the video and comparable in tone quality to the other speakers demoed.

You are misunderstanding or at least miss-characterizing the use and purpose of the DSP and switches.

They are there to create a flat response in regards to the position and/or orientation (floor, mounted on a pole, etc). What this is designed to do, in my understanding and experience using it on dozens and dozens of gigs now over 9+ months of daily use, is to allow the user to get an accurate representation and presentation of whatever is input in regards to the physical realities of the practical application.

You dial your patch based on an accurate representation of what you are putting into the powered monitor. Whatever that is; this isn't guitar specific or modeler-centric.

Cabinets sound different depending on their physical position to how and where they are in a room. For instance the same speaker on the floor in the corner will sound very different in the middle of the room on a pole. The DSP settings allow for you to adjust to your physical space.

Back
Top Bottom