Might be moving

Sixstring

Legend!
Well I am looking at the high probability of having to move to TX... Yee Haa :lol. In all seriousness though, I have stumbled into a job opportunity that will relocate my family and I to the Austin area. Looking for some insight from the Texas folk here on the board that live or are familiar with that area ie: Schools, Rent, neighborhood quality that sort of thing. The location of the job site is not set in stone as of yet but sounds like it's going to be somewhere south of Austin 50 miles or so. Any insight to the area around there would be great!

Thanks.

Well I'm jealous. I want to move there myself, but my wife is putting her foot down. She says it gets to hot there. I spent a day with Mott, when I was down there for SXSW, and he knows all the great bars. There are few other folks here that live there as well, so you should have no problem getting an answer.

I have been hearing this as well. I don't know a lot about TX so im having to do a crash corse in whats up with TX. State taxes? what's vehicle reg like? I know Cali sucks I had to pay almost a grand to reg my MoHo when I had it. I know WA is pretty cheep.

Well I'm jealous. I want to move there myself, but my wife is putting her foot down. She says it gets to hot there. I spent a day with Mott, when I was down there for SXSW, and he knows all the great bars. There are few other folks here that live there as well, so you should have no problem getting an answer.

Too hot there says the guy from Phoenix! :)

Maybe more humid.

This is where you say... "it may be 110 here but it's a dry heat" 8)

I have friends in Austin -- I think you'd have to pry them from the city cold and dead they love it so much. One of my friends relocated there from Santa Cruz and save for not being on the ocean, loves it as much or more than Santa Cruz. That's saying a lot -- Santa Cruz is one of those places people move to for life it's so nice. Good housing prices, decent sized city (not too big, not too small), great entertainment and great food. I always look forward to visiting our Austin office.

I have a friend who lives there. It's a fun city for sure. No state taxes. Great music scene.

You will though have to swear allegiance to the Texas Longhorns football team or be run out of town. No exceptions. He lost a bet to me and had to wear a USC jersey all weekend. They were tossing rocks at his truck! :lol

I have a friend who lives there. It's a fun city for sure. No state taxes. Great music scene.

You will though have to swear allegiance to the Texas Longhorns football team or be run out of town. No exceptions. :)

they even have their own power grid. I figured if the end were near I would run to Texas as fast as I could before they raise the gates.

Ok I just found out that the project is going to be located somewhere in Seguin which is closer to San Antonio then Austin if this helps. I have been looking at Suburbs of that City and found some interesting stuff, Shavano Park, Hill Country Village, to name a few. Mainly looking at the High Schools then housing then amenities.

Too hot there says the guy from Phoenix! :)

Maybe more humid.

This is where you say... "it may be 110 here but it's a dry heat" 8)

I know that I can say that at least for this past Summer where I'm at now Vantage WA. The winters are a different story though, can you say meat cycle. I work out doors and though it's not as cold as some of the upper mid sections of the country as a Native Cali boy 20*F work day is too Ef'n cold for this guy.

AAA might be a good place to get info if you haven't hit them up. I usually get loaded up with stuff from them when I travel. I know you're looking for more insight tho, family and all... or is that, y'all? Wish you well, moving is no small thing, I know.

Yup, it's my least favorit thing to do. I have had to move twice in the last 4 years and before that I was in the same place for 20 years. Needless to say you can accumulate a lot of crap in 20 years most of which I gave away or trashed. Looks like I will be doing it one more time :nightmare:.

For near Seguin, I might look into the New Braunfels area.. I have no idea on prices or schools there myself, although I know people who live down there and love it. You're right on I35 so straight shot up to Austin or south to San Antonio, etc. I live in Austin and it does have a lot of charm, but it's also getting too crowded for it's small size so traffic can feel like LA when school (UT) is in session, etc. You will find a ton of options as far as entertainment and music.. goes without saying. I've lived here fort 15 years or so and grew up in Texas so it's home for me.. feel free to PM me if you have any questions, etc.

Very cool ! I looked at that place briefly on the net, looked like a nice little tucked away town. Thanks for the PM offer I might take you up on that as I get closer to D day.

Oh man, I feel for you. The thought of moving from WA to TX just makes me cringe! No offense to any Texans on the board! :) Strictly a matter of personal preference.

I've lived in Austin since 1987 and have seen it grow BIG TIME. Its an awesome town that used to be a well kept secret until SXSW and ACL Fest brought visitors in and fell in love with it too! The music scene IMO is nothing like it was back in the 90s, (the older generation would say the 70s and 80s, when you could hear Eric Johnson, SRV, Willie and the other outlaws downtown) Now its all shot bars and DJs. During SXSW, they do a good job of creating the facade of Austin being the Live Music Capital of the World but its not like that at all. Don't get me wrong there are bands playing downtown but its hard for bars to make money promoting live music and most people just want to get drunk and laid. I suppose its always been that way, lol!

I play in a gimmicky type of cover band and we can walk out with money, not enough to make a living, but more then a band playing originals. All in all there are great people here, great food, and fun hangs. Like Hotplate said New Braunfels is a cool town on the the other side of 35 from Seguin. Its also growing fast too. I love its small downtown center. Good luck with the move!

Back
Top Bottom