Dumble ODS

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
There was a discussion that caught my eye from another thread and I posted this in response trying to help that member out. By coincidence, I just dialed this up yesterday for a client and then used it for my purposes (and my own taste) in my own presets, so I thought it might be an interesting discussion point. I am not a "Dumble" guy, expert, or anything of the sort. This is not definative, nor is it intended to be so. Consider this one guy's shot at a certain type of tone that works for him (me) and I thought it might help others to explore what this sort of amp does well.

I had a PM discussion with Scott Lerner last night; his term for this phenomenon is 'harmonic feedback'. I am no expert on the Dumble mystique at all, but due to client requests have had to make a quick study of all the Dumble magic and Lerner is a well known resource and experienced guy with the whole Dumble 'thing'.

Here is my own version of that sort of thing, preset too. Though I tend to go more for the Marshall roar and kerrang personally, this is what I do with the Dumble. Note the gain structure and 'even-ness' across the harmonic range that allows for that sort of natural sustain and 'bloom' when you hold a note. Going for that sustain, even, note chirp and bloom with the Dumble. Note I use two Own Hammer user cabs; the Mashall CB Mix versions of the EV-S T1 Studio Modern in User 13 and EV-L T1 Live Vintage in User 12. You can use the stock versions of those cabs if you do not own the Own Hammer versions. This isn't a direct attempt to ape any particular tone, just my version of a Dumble type of tone using a humbucker. I generally roll the guitar's volume off to about 8 and ride it to create some sustain and harmonic feedback when necessary

Clip:

Second version with suggestions to OD/Drive and TMB and added AFXII reverb added:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1714

Last edited:
Hi Scott thanks for posting

I really like the clip but but I am not hearing the flip or harmonic feedback at all (could a result of playing style).

It sounds more like a marshall with some hints of a dumble in it... which is cool.

Actually this preset sounds more like a Joe Bonamasa fuzzed out Marshall tone which I dig !!!!

The funny thing is (without even thinking) no matter what amp or pedal I use, I seem to always try to dial all my clean presets to sound like a fender and my OD tones to sound like a dumble. :lol

I am sure the same thing happens to folks that are into other tones as well.

thanks for posting -- I will check the preset later.

I had a PM discussion with Scott Lerner last night; his term for this phenomenon is 'harmonic feedback'. I am no expert on the Dumble mystique at all, but due to client requests have had to make a quick study of all the Dumble magic and Lerner is a well known resource and experienced guy with the whole Dumble 'thing'.

Here is my own version of that sort of thing, preset too. Though I tend to go more for the Marshall roar and kerrang personally, this is what I do with the Dumble. Note the gain structure and 'even-ness' across the harmonic range that allows for that sort of natural sustain and 'bloom' when you hold a note. Going for that sustain, even, note chirp and bloom with the Dumble. Note I use two Own Hammer user cabs; the Mashall CB Mix versions of the EV-S T1 Studio Modern in User 13 and EV-L T1 Live Vintage in User 12. You can use the stock versions of those cabs if you do not own the Own Hammer versions. This isn't a direct attempt to ape any particular tone, just my version of a Dumble type of tone using a humbucker. I generally roll the guitar's volume off to about 8 and ride it to create some sustain and harmonic feedback when necessary

Clip:

Preset: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Dumble ODS SP - by ScottPeterson

Last edited:
Hi Scott thanks for posting

I really like the clip but but I am not hearing the flip or harmonic feedback at all.

It sounds more like a marshall with some hints of a dumble in it... which is cool.

Actually this preset sounds more like a Joe Bonamasa fuzzed out Marshall tone which I dig !!!!

The funny thing is (without even thinking) no matter what amp or pedal I use, I seem to always try to dial all my clean presets to sound like a fender and my OD tones to sound like a dumble. :lol

I am sure the same thing happens to folks that are into other tones as well.

thanks for posting -- I will check the preset later.

I am too heavy handed and club fisted to play with the nuance necessary to draw out the subtle nature of these sorts of tones - fully admitted.

What I notice is that the guys that go for these tones (the artists I have worked with) play very lightly, almost delicately and that seems to be the norm for these sorts of tones. I think that is essential to the entire experience going for these details and one that some might overlook when investigating them. Do you find that to be the case?

I use it more as a mid-level OD type of thing; I don't go for this sort of thing personally very much at all; again, I do not claim any expertise with this sort of thing. Just trying to further the discussion from the 'other' side of the player experience for people that are really not into the entire "Dumble" thing at all and spur some conversation.

I am too heavy handed and club fisted to play with the nuance necessary to draw out the subtle nature of these sorts of tones - fully admitted.

What I notice is that the guys that go for these tones (the artists I have worked with) play very lightly, almost delicately and that seems to be the norm for these sorts of tones. I think that is essential to the entire experience going for these details and one that some might overlook when investigating them.

Yep .... Light touch with a stiff pick!

V-picks work great!

Yep .... Light touch with a stiff pick!

V-picks work great!

I know Vinni very well and have used V-picks on/off since he first started. The pick 'chirp' and attack is a serious love/hate thing for me. The last year I've been using the 1.0mm Dunlop Tortex "Blackout" picks and really like them. I ran with V-Picks and a lot of the thicker stuff - Red Bear "extra heavy" - for some time too.

Took a couple of minutes & loaded Tyler's patch. He is using the factory producer mix "Rumble" cabs.

I never realized how much the delay affects the pick attack that is part of that sound. Learning new things every day. :)

That is a fun patch - even for a guy with no Ford/Carlton chops. I finally made the Dumble chirp! Ha!

Do I really have to go to work today? :lol

The balance of highs and lows.... are perfect.

The balance is easy to see when he flips pickups on the gold top (FYI - that is the guitar he gave to Robben ford) the highs are so well balanced adding expression without any shrill, or sizzle.

The other thing is you can hear how the amp is setup --- it is almost like a velvet smooth version of a Train Wreck. It stays clean and full until he raises the volume (which he usually does with a volume pedal) and digs in.

Perfect example of setting up a Dumble with the input high and MV low (he might actually be doing this in the clean channel). Little known fact is Larry Carlton hardly uses the OD channel (his Dumbles are actually designed for that application).

Around the 3:20 mark he starts doing a couple of what I call flips.

Great video -- thanks for sharing!

LVC, what do you hear in this video? besides the amazingness of Larry! :)

Last edited:
Scott,

You are really smart and great on this thing. I appreciate ALL your contributions.

What do you do to keep your lights on and eat steaks or Ramen? Is it music related?

Scott,

You are really smart and great on this thing. I appreciate ALL your contributions.

What do you do to keep your lights on and eat steaks or Ramen? Is it music related?

I am not a big time advocate of pimping myself on forums, but I do a significant sideline consulting with guitarists/musicians/artists that need/want their rigs programmed or help learning how to dial their gear in to work best for them. I also do Skype and phone consults on the same. I am *not* an agent for nor do I work for Fractal Audio and my bringing my professional and/or personal consultation business up on this forum does *not* imply any sort of approval or tacit professional relationship to Fractal Audio.

Sorry for all the disclaimers but some people might get the wrong impression and I don't want to leave anyone with that impression. For more details see the link in my signature or contact me privately off the board.

Back
Top Bottom