Dumble Note flips

LVC

Fractal Fanatic
I had this buried in another thread and I thought it warranted its own thread.

One of the things I have trying to figure out with the dumble amp and clones is how to make them do the famous dumble note flip (I think that is what it's called).

It is an effect that happens when you slur a note down a whole step after a run (or anything for that matter). With the dumble when you do that - the note just jumps out at you. Folks like robben ford and Larry Carlton do that all the time and it just sounds freaking amazing. The note (or notes ) just jump out but stay focused and smooth.

As an example listen to the intro of "the Miller's Son" by Robben ford.

This is a terrible video and recording but you get the idea. This is not the tan dumble tone which brandon cloned in the "Ojai" -- but is considered his " BlueLine" dumble tone.

I started experimenting and found that a little bump around 320 makes the "flip" more pronounced and organic.

If anybody has some other ideas on how to make the "dumble flip" notes better -- please share!

Isn't that whats known as note bloom?

No don't think so. What I am talking about is more pronounced and immediate. When I think of bloom it sounds like the amp is taking a breath of air before it comes roaring back. this is more pronounced and immediate.

However, increasing the bloom is something else I want to figure out how to do.

But maybe you are right and they are one and the same.

In the Les Paul forums, note bloom refers to, when you stroke a note and then bend it the note just starts to increase in sound rather then fading away.

That's Lerner's term, no? Just ask him? Scott's always described the Dumble thing as more about the pick chirp (attack?), is that what you are getting at?

Bloom is inextricably tied to decay; but they're almost opposing in nature to one another.

More volume. A lot of it is due to acoustic reinforcement.
^^^ This.

Bloom happens as your string volume decays. The amp starts to come out of saturation, and the guitar starts to "play itself," using its own amplified volume as the pick.

^^^ This.

Bloom happens as your string volume decays. The amp starts to come out of saturation, and the guitar starts to "play itself," using its own amplified volume as the pick.

Sure, but their is acoustic bloom happing in the guitar when its not plugged. I get this on two of my Les Pauls.

Sure, but their is acoustic bloom happing in the guitar when its not plugged. I get this on two of my Les Pauls.
I've never heard that acoustically. Not doubting your word...just saying it's outside my experience.

I had this buried in another thread and I thought it warranted its own thread.

One of the things I have trying to figure out with the dumble amp and clones is how to make them do the famous dumble note flip (I think that is what it's called).
If anybody has some other ideas on how to make the "dumble flip" notes better -- please share!

Hi LVC,
Did a little search and came up with what appears to be a "technical" explanation as well as a another audio clip, where in the post they refer to the Phenomenon as "Swirl". Perhaps Cliff could validate the explanation as it seems to be a characteristic of the amp design and not a players skillset.
Just trying to help, don't know if its factual as its over my head :encouragement:
Greg

Telecaster Guitar Forum - View Single Post - Note-flipping

Reactions: LVC
Nope. That's more akin to feedback.
That's a bit of a slippery slope. All acoustic reinforcement is feedback—feedback from the speaker to the guitar to the amp to the speaker to the guitar...that's a feedback loop. But what most guitarist call "feedback" is just one flavor of feedback: the kind that evolves into a single, mostly-pure frequency. That's also caused by the same feedback loop.

That infinite sustain that Carlos Santana gets—that also comes from feedback. But most guitarists don't think of it as feedback.

The same goes for note bloom. Bloom comes from acoustic feedback. To see what I mean, dial in a sweet tone that blooms easily. Now plug in your headphones and disconnect your speakers, so there's no volume in the room, and it's just the headphones. Your bloom will disappear.

Cliff's dead on. More volume and or greater pick attach before you slide down a whole step.A classic Robben riff back in his Inside Story / Yellowjackets days. :)

Often referred to as "ring" in the acoustic world.
When I think of acoustic ringing, I think of a sympathetic vibration of part of the guitar; it usually settles down as the string sound decays. It's often a sign that something should have been screwed down tighter. :)

I don't need to ask Scotty -- I need to replicate it in my Axe!

I'll ask him. I don't understand what you are describing, except what enough volume and sustain might give you? Like Cliff mentioned?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Cliff's dead on. More volume and or greater pick attach before you slide down a whole step.A classic Robben riff back in his Inside Story / Yellowjackets days. :)

It is classic ford move.

Ford also plays at volumes that should be outlawed.

that being said ... that flip or swirl occurs with Dumbles at more reasonable volumes.

It is part of the beast is what I am saying.

It is not hard to pull that out of a dumble or a good clone at reasonable volumes.

I've sat in the room with others as we passed the guitar around and tried to make the dumble flip.:lol

Volume is a definite component but not all.

I'll ask him. I don't understand what you are describing, except what enough volume and sustain might give you? Like Cliff mentioned?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Dude listen to the tune "The Miner's Son"

Ford is flipping notes all over the place :lol

I just asked the Tagster to post a couple demo clips of Dumble note flips on here

Dumble Note Flips Link BGT

In 24 hours i should have plenty of isolated samples

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom