Cleanning up Twin Reverb model

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I would like to get a real clean tone from the Twin model. The model on the AXE is a representation of a vintage amp and it has this overdrive that more recent Fender Twins don't have. How can i make it sound real clean and glassy? Should I just turn down Drive and Input Trim or there's more i can do?

I would like to get a real clean tone from the Twin model. The model on the AXE is a representation of a vintage amp and it has this overdrive that more recent Fender Twins don't have. How can i make it sound real clean and glassy? Should I just turn down Drive and Input Trim or there's more i can do?

You need to check settings

Amp is a 60's black face model which is considered the holy grail of the twin reverbs.

The amp kills and it is about as clean as they come.

Here is a single coil patch that uses the twin on 4 of the 5 scenes.

It is the main patch (along with the HB version) that I use gor gigs

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...all-around-gig-patch-single-coil-guitars.html

Big and clean!

Not sure how the default amp is set up but I found the stock fender presets a little squirrelly when I tried them ( could have been the install).

In any event you really have to go out of your way to get that amp to sound dirty or gritty.

Last edited:
Reduce MV (or MV Trim). The biggest reason Silverface Twins were cleaner is because the PI had less gain. Reducing the MV or MV Trim will simulate the lower gain.

Reduce MV (or MV Trim). The biggest reason Silverface Twins were cleaner is because the PI had less gain. Reducing the MV or MV Trim will simulate the lower gain.

I never liked the silvers --- they sound sterile to me

Most people don't. There were other differences but the PI is the biggest difference IMO.

Yep... The other thing folks need to keep in mind when using the vintage fender amp sims is speaker selection.

Vintage fender amps are extremely sensitive to speaker efficiency.

+1

Good work on that preset, LVC. Looking forward to your humbucker version.

Eggcactly who wants single coil... well maybe one or two or millions^2... but not ähum the real non-rockers. Sorry sorry I go back to my hole and be quite again.

Last edited:
Whats your choice for IR?

For the Double verb in the Axe I like a combination of the Top Boost silver and the vibrato lux mix. Gives me a good balanced sound.

In the tube world -- i really like the Warehouse G12C. they are warmer (while still maintaining the high end sparkle) and more efficient than the Jensen C12n which traditionally come in vintage twins.

Would love to see an IR of a 2x12 with the Warehouse G12C's in them.

Good speaker to mix and match -- they also sound great in Deluxe Reverbs!

Many Fender amps start to distort around 3-4, so keep the input drive low if you want super-Clean.

You can also try the CAE 3+ SE Clean. It's based on a Fender Twin, but it doesn't break up as easy IMO.

I like 'em.....not all (specially not the ultra-linear stuff) ;) ....but I would love to keep that silverface 68' Bandmaster Reverb.....sadly he belongs to a client :cry

the silverface BM "Reverb" is one of the exceptions to the rule IMO.

But a general rule -- 70's fenders suck (IMO of course).

Further, I think that all master volume fenders should be collected and destroyed because they suck 2x as much (IMO of course :lol)

Quality of video is not good but yep those are the speakers!

The other speakers I like from them are the Blackhawks (they cost like 3x the price 12C) but if you can swing the cash they sound fantastic in Twins, Supers, DRs, Tweeds -- all things fender.

WGS makes great speakers

Budget - 12C, Reaper
Higher priced - the Blackhawk

Here is a video that demos the Black hawk and reaper through a Super Reverb.

they just sound sick. they are efficient, full body -- nice high end without any ice picks being shoved into your ear!

Just wonderful with BF Fenders!

I really would love to see IRs on all three of these to be honest.

Last edited:

I normally reduce Input Trim to 0.3 or 0.4 for humbuckers.
Will try this.

Back
Top Bottom