Is a 6 space shock rack overkill? what racks are you guys using?

bgrizzmayne

Inspired
Hey guys-

For my full rig, I'm having trouble fitting it into 4 space. For a 4 space, I was thinking about going shock rack for maximum protection. but for 6, maybe I shouldn't get the shock rack. I'm wanting to do:

Axe - 2u
Furman - 1u
Matrix Poweramp - 1u
Wireless IEM - 1u
Wireless G90 - 1u

What racks do you guys use? My cover band plays 80-100 shows a year. Only maybe 15 or 20 are big trailored shows with stage hands. I primarily load in my gear via a cart to most gigs, so I'm wondering if non shock racked would be the most wise simply for less weight.

OR, I was thinking about a 4 space and then a seperate 3 space, one for axe gear and one for wireless. Argh!
Maybe for church gigs, I should get a lightweight 2 space, and take the axe out of the 6 space if I do church shows.

Upon more consideration, I think a 4 space shock rack might be my best bet, with another 3 space shock down the line to house my wireless gear. Or I could just go for one 6 space shock, but it's so heavy! My 20 inch deep 8 space shock is insanely heavy with the doors on it

I don't think a 6u is overkill at all considering your usage and needs...... I am in the same boat with my cover band and am looking to get a 6u myself.
I currently use a 4u (AxeII and Matrix 2u) and swap it into a 12u with a Rack gizmo and pedal drawers when playing larger gigs (overkill to me sometimes). I use the 4u to drag it to and from the studio (skb 4u) and the 12u is a Road Ready brand case.
Shock mount is great and considering how many gigs your doing....I would.
But, if you bring your Axe to the studio maybe also pop it into a smaller 2u rack bag for convenience when needed.....6u shock mounts are certainly heavy to drag around lol

Got rid of my 6 space shock case and went to a non-shock 4u case. The shock case was way too much of a tank to lug around and in my opinion not required. Unless I was flying around the country or in and out of tour buses I don't feel its really required. I move my gear myself though.

most of those shock racks have rails in front and back, so you might be able to squeeze a wireless in the back, the axe 2 is deep though.. I think they are way overkill for around town and if you cart it yourself. If anyone touched my stuff outside of my sight, and or it rode in a trailer, I'd use a shock rack.

Do you guys know if you could mount a Senheiser EW300 or similar unit on the back of the rack, and then run the antennae to the front of the rack?

If that's the case, I could get a four space, and run an axe, poweramp, and wireless units. If I could rack the actual wireless units on the back, and their antennaes, they would only take up one rack space.

I'm thinking about the Senheiser EW300 for ears and the Line 6 G55 for guitar. I'm just unsure if you can run the antennae extenders to the front of a rack, when the units are mounted on the back.

Given your needs, six space would be fine. The shock mount? Well, that's a lot of weight, size and expense. Necessary? That's your call.

I roll with a beat to hell 4 space SKB (not shock mounted). But I do not fly it, I do not trailer it. I transport it myself in the trunk of my car and cart my rig. I gig about 60-80 shows a year.

Do you guys know if you could mount a Senheiser EW300 or similar unit on the back of the rack, and then run the antennae to the front of the rack?

If that's the case, I could get a four space, and run an axe, poweramp, and wireless units. If I could rack the actual wireless units on the back, and their antennaes, they would only take up one rack space.

I'm thinking about the Senheiser EW300 for ears and the Line 6 G55 for guitar. I'm just unsure if you can run the antennae extenders to the front of a rack, when the units are mounted on the back.

Yes, you can do this....as long as you have space in the front to put the antenna.

Yeah, I think I may just go 6 space, but not shock rack it. I want to protect my investments, but it looks like it'd weigh close to 80 pounds for everything I list. Thanks for the replies, guys!

Yes, you can do this....as long as you have space in the front to put the antenna.

Good to know. Basically, I want to take up 2 full spaces, but use 1 of the spaces on the back to actually house the units. I've seen a lot of people put an EW300 and then it's antennaes next to it, and a G55 and antennaes next to it, totally two rack spaces. If my wireless gear is going to take up 2 complete spaces of the front, I'd need a 6 space I think. If I could have both wireless units only take up 1 space on the front ,I could get by with an Axe, Wireless units, and a furman in a 4 space

I'm going to be using a 6U SKB Roto [when I get around to it - currently have an 8U]
they're tough and light

if you're flying to gigs, a 6U shock will hit the weight limit empty..
so the airline will start charging you extra $$ per kilo overweight..
gets costly..

Yeah, even a 4 space shock rack for me loaded with the axe, two wireless units, and a furman would be ~60 pounds, over the limit. I don't plan on flying with this particular rig.

If my perceived wireless setup would work, racking two halfracks in the back and place their antennaes in the front, I could get the 4 space shock rack. It wouldn't be light, but I'll probably cart my gear into most gigs anyways. 80 pounds is a lot different than 30 pounds IMO.

I use a 6u shock rack and it's both awesome and a huge PITA. When I trailer it, I love it. When I have to carry it by myself, which is far more often, I curse it's existence. Oh, and when carrying it by myself, I don't fit through the doors in my house without bashing my knuckles.

Many times I have thought about selling it due to weight, however, I have never regretted having 6 spaces.

Why not split it into a couple of racks?
I run the Axe and G90 inone 3-space rack - which is mostly what I use for guitar gigs....
When I go bass with the Axe, then I have a second 3-space rack with furman and 2-space amp...
Both are these.. R3UE-16 Rack Case
Built like tanks... not the lightest on the planet.. but I can carry one in each hand and stack 'em.
In 2012 I did around 80 gigs.. not so much in 2013 (so far) but process is same.

I am guessing most will think my 16u rack is way overkill. I love the way it looks on stage. I grew up in the 80's! I can't help myself. Seriously, I was using a 6 space and did not like the way it looked on stage sitting on top of a keyboard stand.

View attachment 17147

Axe - 2u
Furman - 1u
Matrix Poweramp - 1u
Wireless IEM - 1u
Wireless G90 - 1u
This is exactly my main gigging rig and what I've got in my 6-space SafeCase shockmount rack.

I use a 6u shock rack and it's both awesome and a huge PITA. When I trailer it, I love it. When I have to carry it by myself, which is far more often, I curse it's existence. Oh, and when carrying it by myself, I don't fit through the doors in my house without bashing my knuckles.

Many times I have thought about selling it due to weight, however, I have never regretted having 6 spaces.
+1 ^^^

I do have a rolling cabinet, so I use the cabinet to transport the rack (terrain permitting) and usually end up only having to do short lifts - out of the truck, onto the stage, back off the stage, back into the truck. I can always count on help from my bandmates if needed too.

My other Axe II is in a Gator 3U softcase (just the Axe II and IEM - no Furman, and I use my Relay G50 wireless), and I use that setup for the no-stage-volume venues.

Back
Top Bottom