Patches from a certain muscly, bearded guitar player

I'm gonna go ahead and say between FAS and JP, the safe bet is that the cab sounds exactly how they wanted it to. Perhaps the issue is that none of us has John Petrucci's hands or can play as well as he can...?

I think if you're attempting to nail tones from John's past, that impulse is just simply not going to achieve it. It has nothing to do with who's hands are playing the guitar. That impulse is blocking a ton of upper frequencies that were present in John's tone on many recordings. It's just very possible that John is going for a different sound for this recording.

I suggest trying to incorporate that impulse and attempting to dial in some of John's previous tones. You're going to have a VERY difficult time getting even close compared to lots of other available impulses.

The funny thing is that John is supposed to have a VERY specific micing technique that I am VERY aware and knowledgeable about, and he has stated that he has used this technique on many previous recordings. As Shredi stated, looks like we'll have to wait and see how is tone sounds on this new album.

I tried the Petrucci-IR with a very bright guitar (ESP Horizon NT-II, ebony fretboard, maple neck through mahagony body), double tracked it and put it in a mix. It sounded alright - not breathtaking, but acceptable. I used it with the USA Lead Brt and was quite generous with the presence knob. I also put a GEQ after the CAB-block and made some kind of V-shape.

Here try this one:
Axe-Change - Download Preset - JP Scenes (1,2,3 = Rhy,Ld,Cln) - by AdamCook

3 scenes are pre-setup in the preset for rhythm, lead, and clean tones. /QUOTE]

Just put this on my Axe, and the patch sounds GREAT! Played loud i didn't think the petrucci IR comes across too dark, actually pretty nice for live work, and I can totally see John getting what he needs out of this IR with any of the Mesas. Adam thank you for all your work on this and sorry if some members here seem unappreciative. I'm thrilled.

I got my AXE FX on friday night, giving me only a couple of hours to learn how to use it and configure my FCB1010 to control it as I had a gig last night and wanted to use it.

My setup is running amp/cam sim off stereo out into 2 marshall 1/2 stacks. (1978 JMP 2203 and a 2011 JVM210H)

I used your Patch and all I had to modify was the volume on up on the lead and clean scenes, and a little less delay and reverb mix on the clean scene.

I had a bunch of others set up but ended up using this patch/scene combo for 90% of the 3 sets. Just wanted to say thanks !

I got my AXE FX on friday night, giving me only a couple of hours to learn how to use it and configure my FCB1010 to control it as I had a gig last night and wanted to use it.

My setup is running amp/cam sim off stereo out into 2 marshall 1/2 stacks. (1978 JMP 2203 and a 2011 JVM210H)

I used your Patch and all I had to modify was the volume on up on the lead and clean scenes, and a little less delay and reverb mix on the clean scene.

I had a bunch of others set up but ended up using this patch/scene combo for 90% of the 3 sets. Just wanted to say thanks !

Awesome, that's great to know. Really glad it worked out for you.

that JP scenes patch is working great for me as well.
turn it up a bit and thru my RCF..............................bang, sounds great

An unfortunate downside of the constant FW updates is that Cliff moves a lot more quickly than many of our artists can keep up :). They are quite busy recording and traveling much of the time and JP is one of the busiest.

John is really excited about the new Mark series 5-band EQ built into the amp block. He's eager to try it out and hopefully we can get some patches for FW 11 if his time allows.

I will also do an update of my JP Scenes preset that is posted above. It does not currently use the 5-band Mark EQ because the preset was built prior to FW 11. Matt and I have both spent a lot of time sitting next to John dialing in the Axe-FX so you can be assured that a patch coming from one of us is going to be very similar to what JP's patch would look like.

An unfortunate downside of the constant FW updates is that Cliff moves a lot more quickly than many of our artists can keep up :). They are quite busy recording and traveling much of the time and JP is one of the busiest.

John is really excited about the new Mark series 5-band EQ built into the amp block. He's eager to try it out and hopefully we can get some patches for FW 11 if his time allows.

I will also do an update of my JP Scenes preset that is posted above. It does not currently use the 5-band Mark EQ because the preset was built prior to FW 11. Matt and I have both spent a lot of time sitting next to John dialing in the Axe-FX so you can be assured that a patch coming from one of us is going to be very similar to what JP's patch would look like.

Adam, thanks for the update! Yes, an update with the new 5 band EQ is in order.

Can you give us any info as to the effectiveness of the EQ since in Boogies, it's located before the poweramp section of the amp, and in the Axe, it's located after the poweramp section. Does this location in the chain have any effect on the final tone?

I also have a question as to the amount of gain in the MKIIC+ and the USA LEAD amps. To get the amount of gain in the axe out of these amps, I always find I have to up the input trim. Obviously this isn't possible with the real amp. It always bothers me since I feel I am going past how much gain the real amp offers. Any suggestions? Does John normally boost before the amp?

BTW... Marco's MK V Lead preset is probably the closet preset I've heard that really nails the Mesa sound, and by the looks of the preset, he's emulating John's amp settings VERY closely. Even his impulse choices are a dead giveaway.

Since the signature Boogies tone are usually based almost entirely on pre-amp distortion the position of the graphic EQ before or after the power amp becomes much less significant. Most of us dial in these Mark series amps with the Master set fairly low and in those scenarios it wouldn't make much of a difference whether the graphic EQ is pre or post power amp.

JP likes the input trim setting because it allows him to get some additional gain if he wants it but he doesn't always use it. Last time I worked with him he was using a drive pedal (tube screamer type) as a lead boost before the amp. The drive pedal would kick in simultaneously with some delay for a lead tone which is exactly how I emulated it in my Scenes preset above.

Last edited:
Here's my updated JP Scenes preset for FW 11:

Since the signature Boogies tone are usually based almost entirely on pre-amp distortion the position of the graphic EQ before or after the power amp becomes much less significant. Most of us dial in these Mark series amps with the Master set fairly low and in those scenarios it wouldn't make much of a difference whether the graphic EQ is pre or post power amp.

JP likes the input trim setting because it allows him to get some additional gain if he wants it but he doesn't always use it. Last time I worked with him he was using a drive pedal (tube screamer type) as a lead boost before the amp. The drive pedal would kick in simultaneously with some delay for a lead tone which is exactly how I emulated it in my Scenes preset above.

Adam, thanks for your insights! Much appreciated!

Thanks for all this--really appreciate it.

Awesome thanks Adam!
I somewhat updated the older version of this last night on my machine for V11, but I'm interested to see what you did here as I really like the original tone you got with this patch :)

Thank you Adam. Any chance JP will use the AXE for these amp tones either live or in studio rather than the actual boogies? Im curious why he is so interested in dialing in these tones, when he has the real thing.

hi all, thanks Adams
...but the rows are empty after loading with the Bot..?? (I'm with FW11b)

Back
Top Bottom