FW 11b is MAGIC

Laptop would sit on top of rack and be plugged into the same power conditioner as the axefx. Hooking up the USB cable takes...wait for it, 5 seconds.

And if it goes down. No biggie. I'll do quick edits on the front panel because I DID learn how to use it.

BTW, I gave FW11 an honest shot today. Fuck me, it sounds amazing. Since my patches are pretty well set, I might just do without AxeEdit for a week or two.

It's not going to be much longer. There's only a handful of bugs left. We also need to finish the file I/O but that's simple. I wouldn't be surprised to see it early next week.

It's not going to be much longer. There's only a handful of bugs left. We also need to finish the file I/O but that's simple. I wouldn't be surprised to see it early next week.

Cliff, thanks so much for responding even though you truly don't even owe us that.

Truly appreciated. Your constant service is one of the many reasons I will always praise and advertise the AxeFX to any guitar player/musician that will listen.

I use my laptop at home and at practice. But live I don't plan on building presets . Just twee king the levels I'll do on the front panel.that's just me to each his own

I approach gigs like I did when I used to race S/G drag cars. If I had to bring more than a couple screwdrivers and wrenches to the track, I wasn't prepared and shit would just go south from there. I refuse to tweak at gigs, it's a rabbit hole that sucks me in and then I can't enjoy myself anymore. There are nights everything sounds different on stage, but tweaking just mucks it all up for the next gig.

FW 11 beta I just had to adjust some levels, EVERY one of my presets sound SOOOO good I'm freaking out! :shock :mrgreen don't know what Cliff finally solved or if its just in my head but I don't think so. Its that feeling that only a guitar player knows, it makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck an your arms. This is BIG !

Damn right! There's some new MAGIC going on in 11.

This isn't meant to sound derogatory or negative or disrespectful... yadda yadda.....
But is it really that hard to learn how to use the front panel?

I had the same reservations a year ago when I was faced with the prospect of sticking with an outdated FW and a "stable" version of AE, or forgo the security blanket of AE and do all my tweaking on the front panel. I'm glad that I decided to try the former and not miss out on months of awesome updates that have just gotten better and better.

Unless you have access or sight issues, I see no reason why anyone can't learn to use the front panel. Axe Edit might not always be there at a gig for last minute tweaking. It's a good skill set to develop.

I agree 100% that any Axe user ought to be well versed in front panel navigation, but I would like to address the question you asked: is it that hard? The answer to that is going to vary on a per-user basis, and the intentions of said user. The Axe II, as we know, is a high tech piece of kit. It's navigation functions are necessarily complex as it's versatility is vast. I am frankly amazed that Cliff was able to design a front panel that works as well as it does. However to someone like myself, who (before the Ultra) was accustomed to a Marshall JCM 600 and a couple stomps, the Fractal products are an entirely foreign world of new effects, both practical and ethereal, with seemingly infinite parameters apiece. Not to mention adjusting to FRFR. For the purpose of learning about all of the new concepts/effects and how to smoothly integrate them, the editor was a godsend. Even for a quick FP aficionado, Axe Edit saves hours. I use the front panel for everything with my II, but I stick to the basics. Since I've had the Axe II, Edit has been a grump (freezes/crashes computer). So I have not really explored it beyond the base of what I already am familiar with. Mostly because I would rather play my gee-tar than press a lot of buttons. On this note we encounter a point that I think is relevant to the overall marketability of the product. Old tube-geezers (<- most affectionately) in my little town are amazed by the Axe, especially guys that play covers, ESPECIALLY Pink Floyd! But the complexity of it intimidates some, and the editor brings the element that brought Apple it's dominant market share: elegant user-friendly interface.
Mostly Fabio, I submit that what appears simple for one is perhaps not so for another. To the uninitiated, the Axe is indeed a complex machine and should be appreciated as such. If you are gifted of the alacrity of mind as to make your comprehension of the front panel a breeze, consider yourself lucky, but not all are similarly gifted and for them/us it IS hard. That said, if anyone can't use the front panel well enough to easily adjust EQ to match the room or similar essential functions, then it is time to get to work!
Regards to all who have fought in the FP vs. WHERE'SMYFRIGGINAXEEDIT conflict, and a moment of silence for the fallen. My church says that the Fractal Gods are going to bring about the second coming of Axe Edit any day now and usher in the peaceful shutting-up of us all :)

Last edited:
Sorry, I just realized I totally thread-jacked. My bad. Yes, 11b sounds amazing! This amp evolves! And for free! Into higher life forms... as always, thank you Cliff.

When I told Cliff that I liked the beta, he said, "Just wait... it's going to get even BETTER."

wow
I initially had some "boominess" issues but I did a re install and then just killed the compression and dialed it back in to a working level.
My Axe Rig has never sounded as good as it does now through a power amp->guitar cab.
"Even Better?"
this I like :)
the Brit super,Atomic Hi, and JMP-1 have me on course to be a Marshall convert, previously being a die hard Boogie guy.

The good thing is that I've got pretty good at redoing my patches for firmware update purposes. Eagerly waiting for 11 with the reworked comp settings. One question though. When you reset an amp block all values default to recommended values for that amp? This has been asked many times. I know. But just interested in the comp settings actually, if I reset the amp, what happens to comp? Will it reset to the recommended setting for that amp type, or just to a general default value?
11b is reaaaaaally great. Love the amp response. And learned that I dont need to mess much with pick attack values. At 0% it feels right for most amps. I used to leave at around 3-5% for almost every patch. But now I dont even tweak it for my main lead amps (Friedmans, Triptik and Usa Lead).

Hello, I just got my Axe FX-II last night and haven't taken it out of the box yet because I wanted to have time to be able to set it up right and play with it. Anyway, mine has the latest released software the 10.XX version. Will run the AFX II through a set of Studio Monitors and also have other options avaliable as I own a paid of Mackie SRM 450V2 Powered Monitors and a bogner Ecstacy 101B 1/2 Stack

Now I don't need to add the 11b beta yet as I don't even know what the hell I am doing at this point, but my Question is about the Frac-Bot and Axe-Edit. I thought the Frac-Bot was used to do updates and the Axe Edit was so you can control the parameters of the AXF-II on your computer Screen and Make chnges to each patch, vs. trying to do it from the front panel, which makes things easier.

Then I remeber reading that the Axe-Edit is getting replaced with something else?

Anyway, I donwloaded the USB Software, and all the other things from FA's website on my computer so I have everything. Should I download Axe-FX Edit? Is that what everyone uses to edit patches on the AFX II on your computer/

Thanks

Gary

Dont bother with axe edit, just play with the front panel for now. Next week there should be an update for both firmware and software. and yes fractal bot for updates, new version of axe edit for patch creation etc.

Back
Top Bottom