New OwnHammer cabinet Poweramp differences

Yes but I honestly think it's an error to think that since there's tube amp modeling in the Axe-Fx the IR's shouldn't be done using tube power amps. Just think about it.

Not really.

If we are talking about subjective preferences then there's no right or wrong, just your own personal preference.

If we are talking about faithfully emulating a specific speaker cabinet and only the speaker cabinet (this does not presume any subjective preference by the listener), then no it doesn't make sense to capture an impulse response with a coloring amp (tube or not).
You can capture the impedance data as well, which you can translate into the amp block's speaker tab to more faithfully reproduce the interaction with that specific cabinet driven by a specific amp.

The only way that would make sense is if the Axe-Fx power amp simulation is modeling what happens to the cab when driven with different power amps but (correct me if I'm wrong) don't we have a separate cab block and the power amp simulation is not affecting it?

Wrong. See Javajunkie's response.

Colors can add a lot of interesting results to a canvas! Just have to close your eyes and let your ears do the seeing!

Colors can add a lot of interesting results to a canvas! Just have to close your eyes and let your ears do the seeing!

LOL. I agree wholeheartedly - but, I have found over the years that you can actually keep your eyes open at the same time you are using your ears! :listening_headphone :encouragement:

I'm a color freak, probably because I can't play for shit and so I have to rely on fantastic tone to make up for my lack of "shredability"! :)

So as far as I'm concerned, the more options the better when it comes to IR tones. I don't get why people have to start putting up tents and saying "better" when it comes to how an IR is shot. If it sounds good, then rock that sound up and down the river, my friends.

I'm a fan of both the T1 and T2 sounds. They work for different things. I'm not too big on the studio mixes, but I can see where lots of people would really dig them. It's all good. That's all I've really got.

t2, then t1 then solid state. At first I liked t1 the best, it was brighter, ss sounded like pure mud, listening again t1 was a bit bright, who knows in a mix though. I was surprised, I always thought ss would be harsher brighter, in fact it seems the "warmest" in "tube talk".

This also brings up the question I'm dying to get an answer to: what is the overall difference between "modern" vs "vintage"? In the ownhammer packs? In the axe I find vintage settings muffled with high gain.

I liked 3 best. It sounded kind of "flubby" on the low end similar to what I perceive a mesa amp to do overdriven verses a tighter Marshall sound. Cool, since the amp model is the same on all 3 recordings and the IR makes this much of a tone impact. I think it is awesome that we have all of these choices since each of us have different ideas of what good sounds like. I bought the new IR's yesterday from Ownhammer and I am really liking them. I really should probably stop with my OCD tone searching like I am Eric Johnson from the 1990's and start practicing more!

Great question..... When you read Kevin's data sheet it seems like the mic configuration is different with Vintage vs. Modern. I should do another test comparing them as well. Would that be helpful? I tried to make the tones as vanilla as possible so the power amp difference could be heard. It was surprising to me as well. Beavis and Butthead ROCK!!! LOL....

t2, then t1 then solid state. At first I liked t1 the best, it was brighter, ss sounded like pure mud, listening again t1 was a bit bright, who knows in a mix though. I was surprised, I always thought ss would be harsher brighter, in fact it seems the "warmest" in "tube talk".

This also brings up the question I'm dying to get an answer to: what is the overall difference between "modern" vs "vintage"? In the ownhammer packs? In the axe I find vintage settings muffled with high gain.

The only difference I can see in "Vintage" vs. "Modern" is the Vintage uses one more mic as part of the mix (CND 70). Although, I'm sure the amount of each mix is different between the mics as well.

With so many choices, I start with something I "think" I'll like and try to make it work.... if I don't get the result I'm after, I'll move onto another combination (vintage vs. modern, live vs. studio. preamp vs. preamp, median) etc. At this point I'm only trying the "mix" versions.... and my Twin patch has already improved by 20% to my ears.. (hopefully it's not because of one of those psychological phenomenons etc.)

Back
Top Bottom