cat5 won't stay put

bluesmostly

Inspired
my MFC is a mark II, my Axe II is not (so no ethercon connection). I have a cat5 cable (from Futureshop) and it sticks into the MFC and locks into place but on the Axe it keeps popping out as it won't seat or lock into place.

what kind of connection are you guys using for ethernet on the Axe that stays put?

I had Vafam Sound build me a break out panel with an Ethercon on it and I use a Best-Tronics Ethercon-equipped cable. Solid connections every time.

Here's my exact panel from Vafam: Vafam Sound - Custom Audio Panels

VS-20120213-02.jpg

The panel, with shipping to Ontario, I think set me back ~CAD$100 give or take a $20. Super great deal.

Hi Ian, thanks again for the helping hand.

what do you use all those different connectors for? I assume that you can use an ethercon cable from the MFC into this panel and then out with ethernet connection to the AXE?

how about one of these?

Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: NE8FDP

Hi Ian, thanks again for the helping hand.

what do you use all those different connectors for? I assume that you can use an ethercon cable from the MFC into this panel and then out with ethernet connection to the AXE?

how about one of these?

Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: NE8FDP

Any time! I'll DM you my new number here in California if you want to talk. That old Ontario number stopped working a few months ago -- Vonage wouldn't let me keep my cheap, Canadian account but pay for it with a US credit card. Silly...

Check the picture of my breakout panel in my reply. Hans used something kind of like that. There's a length of CAT5 on the back on the panel that goes back to the RJ jack on the back of the Axe-Fx II. And then the front of the panel is a proper, click-lock Ethercon connector. Hans used a very nice, sturdy CAT5 cable for the back of the panel and it locks positively with my Axe-Fx II.

is it because the ethernet cable is cheap plastic and so does not seat well in the AXE? what about one of these:

Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: FAS12-XX

You could try that. That's definitely a high quality cable. I still think that, over time, no matter who's cable you're using, that non-Ethercon connection is going to kill cable ends. Those plastic connectors just aren't designed for situations where you might be putting a lot of flex stress on the cable end. They were meant for static installations -- where you're plugging a non-moving cable in to a switch or router for example. The break out panel with an Ethercon connector address this problem nicely -- the connection to the back of the Axe-Fx becomes non-moving, static, as intended. The connection to the MFC uses Ethercon on both sides so it can handle stress from motion much better.

It's worth the ~$150 cost to get the Ethercon cable and breakout panel IMO. You save in the long run by not putting stress on connections where stress isn't handled well.

Also if you have one with a boot check that to make sure the boot isn't preventing the clip to lock.

yeah, I noticed it wasn't clicking in so I trimmed back the plastic casing a couple of millimeters and now it clicks in to the back of the AXE. Still need a more sturdy solution though... thanks.

Back
Top Bottom