How to bring in a Whammy without Auto Engage

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Here's how to engage a simulated Whammy, without using Auto Engage.

Why? Auto Engage can sometimes be annoying, switching off the effect when you don't want to.
Also, engaging/bypassing the block through Auto Engage is sometimes audible.

I'm borrowing the "Golden Whammy" idea by Matman (Admin M@) here.

Put a Pitch block in line, set to Classic Whammy. Source = Global. Bypass Mode = Thru.
Assign the Control parameter to your pedal's external controller.

Assign the same external controller to the Mix parameter. Set Mix at zero.

In the modifier menu do this:
Start: 40
Mid: 100
End: 55
Slope: 0
Scale: 10
Offset: 100.

Make sure the Pitch bock is engaged and save the preset.

With this configuration the Pitch block (Whammy) is always active, but you won't hear it because Mix is 0%.

The modifier settings make sure that whenever you rock the pedal, Mix is immediately changed to 100% so you have a fully functional Whammy pedal and you can use its full sweep range. Plus, there's no audible "click".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not in front of my Axe-FX2 to try this, but it seems to me that this should work with the Wah block as well. Would you agree Yek?

Terry.

I'm not in front of my Axe-FX2 to try this, but it seems to me that this should work with the Wah block as well. Would you agree Yek?

Terry.

Nope. Because the Wah has no Mix parameter (there are several "wish" threads posted by users to get a Mix parameter in the Wah block).
You can accomplish the same using - for example - a Mixer block but that's getting complicated.

Thanks for this post Yek. Looking forward to trying this!

I would love something similar for the wah block. I like auto-engage vs a switch but I don't like how it sometimes turns off when my heel goes too far down.

I have often wondered what the "Whammy" effect is. Does anyone have a link to hear what this does ? Is it typically used for leads ?
thanks !

Wow! Perfect Whammy! Copied the settings to the t, and it works as magic. No more annoying click, and true bypass, 100% customizable Whammy power. Thanks a lot man!!!

Reactions: yek
Happy it's working for you, guys. I've applied it to my own presets as well.

Thanks for posting this! I was just fiddling with my whammy settings earlier today, being annoyed at the "click" when auto engage kicks in. Can't wait to try this.

Thanks Yek for announe that to the world! M@ is really THE routing-alchemist. Crazy idea! But one of these, which proof again: The Axe-Fx is nearly unlimited - if your thinking is not ... ;) Great!

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom