Noise when using input 2 and inserting effects loop block

A to the T

Experienced
Im wondering if anyone else is having the same experience. When I insert an effects loop block in the front of the signal chain for either my GR55 or VG99 (in order to use their Cosm guitar models) I get hiss predominantly on high gain patches. The only way to help mask it between playing notes is to insert a gate block right after the effects loop and then set the level to -50db.

Its not as evident on clean patches but I know its there. Also, it shows up the minute I connect a 1/4" jack to the mono input of input 2 even when no gear is connected on the other end. Ive tried using both a balanced and unbalanced cable but same issue.

So for example, I select a high gain patch, insert effects loop in front of the signal chain then as soon as I make a connection into input 2 on the back the noise kicks in....

Anyone else ever experience this? I'm not using the effects send. Just the return.
The goal of this setup is to utilize my COSM VGuitars via the input 2 while leaving the front instrument input available for when I just want to plug in my regular guitar.

To clarify, as per the manual, I'm using the Input 2 as an auxiliary input to any point in the signal chain of any preset using the FX Loop block.
I have a feeling that even thought the FX Loop block is programmed, it doesn't come into play in the mix until a 1/4" jack is detected as being plugged in. My issue has nothing to do with my inserted gear as this hiss kicks in the minute I connect a TRS or TS jack into it (even a 1 footer) with no gear connected.

Any opinion or feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Found a post with other users having the same issue and Trazan had provided some tips on increasing Boots/Pad on my Output1. cranking it to 18db does lower this his but Out1 continually clips and I can't seem to find a happy medium. Best I can do without clipping is 3db. Placing the Gate right after the FX Loop and setting Threshold -76db and Ratio to 1.7 seems to be the only solution so far.

Last edited:
Out 1 boost/pad shouldn't have much of an effect on this type of noise.

A cable with nothing at the other end can often be noisier than when it's plugged into something else, so that doesn't indicate anything useful. Test/set things with everything connected/running as planned.

Have you compared this noise to the noise you get through Input 1 with the layout menu's noise gate disabled (threshold at minimum)? Some factory presets have that gate using values similar to what you listed.

I have tested with everything hooked up as planned.
Esssentially, the minute I plug in a 1/4" connector with NO cable connected the effects loop engages and HISS appears. This is a very useful test as its only an tiny extension of the 1/4" mono input. Its not even really an extension. Same thing if I plug in a stubby 1/4" to RCA adapter.....
Yes I've compared the hiss. It has nothing to do with the input gate. It has to do with the FX Loop anywhere in the chain.
It appears other folks have experienced the same thing and Fractal has a factory mod availble to fix this but you need to ship your unit in... :(

Out 1 boost/pad shouldn't have much of an effect on this type of noise.

A cable with nothing at the other end can often be noisier than when it's plugged into something else, so that doesn't indicate anything useful. Test/set things with everything connected/running as planned.

Have you compared this noise to the noise you get through Input 1 with the layout menu's noise gate disabled (threshold at minimum)? Some factory presets have that gate using values similar to what you listed.

Esssentially, the minute I plug in a 1/4" connector with NO cable connected the effects loop engages and HISS appears.

Sounds more of a typical "open input connector" problem to me! If you use an external 1/4" connector, use a switched connector - which pulls the signal tap to ground if there is no cable connected. Same happens on many amplifiers, when mechanical pressure on the plugged-in cable bended the connector latches - the moment you unplug the cable after using the lead channel, you got hiss and noise. Here is why: If you let the signal tap "open" after unplugging your cable, the signal tap turns into an antenna, now tracing everything. Especially on high gain patches, were you boost your input signal nearly 100dB from input to pre-amp out.

Just plug in a standard 1/4" plug with shorten contacts for a test - if the problem disappeared, you need to pull down the signal tap to ground if there is no plug in the end of your extension cable.....

Last edited:
I have tested with everything hooked up as planned.
Esssentially, the minute I plug in a 1/4" connector with NO cable connected the effects loop engages and HISS appears. This is a very useful test as its only an tiny extension of the 1/4" mono input. Its not even really an extension. Same thing if I plug in a stubby 1/4" to RCA adapter.....

That still usually adds more noise than connecting something to the other end.

Yes I've compared the hiss. It has nothing to do with the input gate. It has to do with the FX Loop anywhere in the chain.

I was suggesting comparing the noise at input 2 to the noise at input 1. To do this you need to first make sure the layout menu's noise gate is disabled. Use a cable connected to something else, not just an extender/adapter opening the input.

It appears other folks have experienced the same thing and Fractal has a factory mod availble to fix this but you need to ship your unit in... :(

The only mod I've seen mentioned was for Output 2, not Input 2. Standard feature on new units now: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/68853-4cm-help-cliff.html#post846241

Last edited:
To clarify, as per the manual, I'm using the Input 2 as an auxiliary input to any point in the signal chain of any preset using the FX Loop block. I have a feeling that even thought the FX Loop block is programmed, it doesn't come into play in the mix until a 1/4" jack is detected as being plugged in.

There is a sensor on Input 2. If you unplug the cable from it the FX Loop will not run.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ssue-if-input-2-not-connected.html#post727937

FXL (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Thanks gents ! I don't think I can do 4CM with my VG-99 but I will continue my testing. I never noticed the FXL in the Wiki before. Thanks for pointing it out!

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom